Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 7:42:32 PM EDT
Why did the Military change from the lite up the handguards to the Medium SOCOM ,RO9777 under the handguards? What does it do to help out the M4A1?  Sorry for the dumb questions, I would like to know.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Under prolonged full auto fire, the barrel was known to rupture right behind the FSB. There are pictures on here of about 7-8 DPMS 4140 non-chrome lined barrels that had undergone similar fire conditions in an experiment. The extra metal helped to prevent this.

I'll try to look for the pictures, but I don't know if I can find them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#2]

I tried looking for the thread about the DPMS full auto test fire by Denny of Global Tactical and can't find it, but I saved one of the photos.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the pictures, im gonna save them this time
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
youve also got to remember Those are noncromedlined 4140 barrels,

They where fired I beileve in 200 round burst, then set to cool a boreshake run though and repeated,

They all made it to around 20,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Colt barrels (chrome lined, of course):

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top