Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2006 7:40:43 AM EDT
I've been scrounging through the Equipment Exchange and I've been noticing that most of the deals I passed up I did so because they were all heavy-barrelled. What's the point of a heavy barrel over a lighter one, other than maybe some slight slight advantage in accuracy?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Well.. HBARs are cheaper to make so more manufacturers make them, and that is why you see them more often.

And in the 20" configuration THEY ARE HEAVY. Lot of people hate them, which is why they pop up for $150 or less in like new condition.

That being said, for those of us who don't mind wieght you can get some real bargains

There won't be any real accuracy difference.. just price.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
H-Bar stands for HEAVY BARREL. And they aint kidding around either. I was like you I didnt want an H-bar but couldnt find anything with the gov profile barrel in a package.  So I got a good deal on a Bushy at the gun show that was H-bar. As soon as I got it home I was hunting for a new barrel. Took about two weeks and I finally found one through Scott. It should be here tomorow. I havent even fired the rifle yet.  I took the rifle out in the backyard and walked around with it some and there is no way I could keep it like that. The ballance is all out of whack. There is a pound difference in the gov. profile and the H-bar. Thats alot. Thats 40% heavier for the Hbar. From what I hear they shoot pretty much the same.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I cant handle an HBAR due to my fatness!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the H-BAR because the extra weight helps me stay on targrt without circleing the front sight around the 10 ring,but each to his own.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I see no point in having a HBAR.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#6]
<-------- Fluted H-Bar

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
What the OD have to be, to be considered an HBAR?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What the OD have to be, to be considered an HBAR?

I believe from the muzzle to just past the FSB it's .750", but from there it gets thicker... will measure mine when I get home...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I see no point in having a HBAR.  

I agree really, isn't much of a point to have one..

I do own a 20" HBAR though, and so far I like it enough. Price was right, shoots good, and wieght is no concern to me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Once upon a time, a perception arose that the lightweight barrel was inferior to a heavier barrel.  Wether this is true or not is a whole 'nuther topic which will only be a pissing match between those who like HBARs and those who don't.

Also, as stated earlier, it is cheaper for the manufacturers to produce HBAR barrels.

You see so many HBARs on the EE because people are finding the HBAR isn't necessary for what they want/use their AR for.

Now, if you can get a screamin' deal on an HBAR, you could get it turned down under the handguards for a psuedo goverment profile-but obviously the deal has to be good enough to justify the extra expense.

Personally, I can find a use/purpose for all profiles available-that is why I have more than one AR.  If I were to pick one type only, it would probably be goverment profile.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
That's the problem- from what I can tell, contouring the barrel way offsets any good deals I can get, because I don't have the tools to separate the barrel and the upper, and the tools needed cost around $50 =(. College budgets suck.

edit: Out of all the guns I could be obsessed with, who would think I'd choose one of the most expensive? =P
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#12]
N3rday,

Where in Tx are you?  There are plenty of us who don't mind sharing tools.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I kinda dig the hbar, although i only have them on 16"ers.  Even my wife likes them.  Once i get more fundage (college sucks here too), i think i might build a  lighter weight m4gery type AR just for giggles, but I also have a whole laundry list of guns i want to build/buy before then.  I guess starting out my shooting career on a mini 14 with a pencil thin barrel kinda swayed me a little when i probably should have.

All i can say is different strokes for different folks.  HBAR works for me.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had an HBAR 16" and 11.5".  I sold the 16" and profiled the 11.5".  Can't imagine what a 20" would like.  I'll never own another HBAR.  Long live the 16" SuperLight barrel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the HBAR looks kind of cool (although I think the govt profile also looks pretty neat).

I think the accuracy difference may show up when the barrel gets hotter - ie the less flex in the HBAR theory.  I also think the extra weight helps with recoil but in 223 i doubt it is very much help.

I couldnt argue the above points from experience just from reading about it on the forums so flame away if I am wrong but I wont be able to respond.  hat
AP
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are doing a lot of FA mag dumps then a fluted H-Bar may have an advantage but I don't own any NFA toys so what do I know anyway.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I really can do without the extra weight also. Someone posted this LINK the other day so I bookmarked it for my next upper build. Check the bottom of the page.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top