Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 6:00:00 AM EDT
I recently purchased an AWB featured Bushmaster with 16” HB.  I’m considering having the barrel shortened to 14.5” and a Phantom FH permanently installed to retain a short overall length and avoid SBR issues.  I'm considering having it done by Adco.  According to Steve and their price list, it will cost $90 plus the cost of the FH.  Are there any disadvantages to doing this?  I can see that I'd never be able to remove the FSB but I can't see why I would anyway.  Does the shortened barrel length have enough effect on gas pressure to affect cycling?  This is my first AR and I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of the weapon, so any help and/or advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#1]
if you plan on installing a freefloat that requires removal of the fsb it will be a problem other than that its your bbl.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Federal Tax Evaision and Federal Prison are enough reason for me
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]
if you already have a 16" barrel, keep it.  Build another AR.  Buy a 14.5" with the FH installed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I thought a permanently mounted FH that made the entire barrel length equal to 16.00001 was legal, apparently I am not the only one. While I prefer my removable FH on the 16.00001 threaded barrel I did not think his idea would equal law-breaking.

Sorry for being ignorant but please explain.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you go shorter than 16" you have to permanently install the flash suppressor. This will prevent you from installing/uninstalling most free float tubes. A Knight RAS II would still work and I think the Samson fore-ends would work also, though I have never used those.

you are correct in your assumptions
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought a permanently mounted FH that made the entire barrel length equal to 16.00001 was legal, apparently I am not the only one. While I prefer my removable FH on the 16.00001 threaded barrel I did not think his idea would equal law-breaking.

I read the question in your title

Why should I not permanently install a FH?  

The answer I gave, reflected on your question

If you have a 14.5 inch barrel, the FH will be permanently mounted per the law
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy a 14,5 1x7 M4 barrel from Bushmaster $35 for the phantom and free instalation.Or if your handy its not hard to silver solder it on with a high temp torch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read the question in your title

Why should I not permanently install a FH?  

The answer I gave, reflected on your question

If you have a 14.5 inch barrel, the FH will be permanently mounted per the law

Your first response made me wonder...

but then I re-read my title question.  Yeah, I guess I could have worded that a little better.  I was just trying to get the cons of permanently mounting a FH.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Buy a 14,5 1x7 M4 barrel from Bushmaster $35 for the phantom and free instalation.Or if your handy its not hard to silver solder it on with a high temp torch.

Yeah, that is an option but a new barrel assembly is $225 plus the $36.95 for the Phantom.  Then I have my perfectly good AWB 16" barrel left over and I'd still have to get the new barrel assembly installed in my upper ($??).  Or, I can send my upper receiver to ADCO, have them cut and thread the barrel and permently install the Phantom.  The barrel cut and thread is $65, the Phantom is $23.95 and $25 to permanently install it.  Thats $113.95 for the ADCO route vs. $261.95 from Bushmaster (and I still have to get the barrel installed).  Or I could even save the $25 and do the install myself.  Either way I'm trying to not put too much into this thing and I have no use for an extra barrel.  

I do, however, like the idea of a 1/7 M4 in place of my current 1/9 HBAR.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#11]
There's no reason to avoid a permanent flash supressor if you are reasonably sure that you don't want to switch flash supressors, or free-float tubes, or front sight bases, etc - down the road.

On the flip side, I don't know of much reason to cut down a perfectly good 16" barrel to 14.5' in the first place.  16" is a great length, and the slight reduction in length is not really a huge difference, so I don't understand why it's worth doing.  But that's just me.  If you like it, go for it.

Btw - if you do it, ADCO is definitely the outfit to do the work!  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#12]
because its a major PITA
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
if you plan on installing a freefloat that requires removal of the fsb it will be a problem other than that its your bbl.

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Bushy M4 upper with a 14.5" barrel and a pinned Gemtech bi-lock.  While it may be a pain, I found it pretty simple to just work around it.  My FF rail system is the MI 2-piece design, which doesn't require removal of the FSB.  I actually do plan to remove the FSB, and replace with the new YHM flip-up FSB (which is 2-piece, and doesn't require removal of the flash hider).  I'd simply dremel off the old one.

So to answer the question - the only reasons to NOT go with a 14.5" + perm FH is if you ever need to remove the FH or FSB.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
No reason not to.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree no reason not to BUT if you plan on installing a forearm that requires front sight removal than I would do that first.  I have had to remove a pinned hider and it was a PITA to say the least.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have a Bushy M4 upper with a 14.5" barrel and a pinned Gemtech bi-lock.  While it may be a pain, I found it pretty simple to just work around it.  My FF rail system is the MI 2-piece design, which doesn't require removal of the FSB.  I actually do plan to remove the FSB, and replace with the new YHM flip-up FSB (which is 2-piece, and doesn't require removal of the flash hider).  I'd simply dremel off the old one.

I'm in the same boat as far as barrels are concerned; I'm also looking into a YHM block.

It sounds like your project is coming together nicely, theJrod!

Killy
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#18]
The downside to perm. fixed is the usual free float tube, but it would also prevent you from putting a can on it as well.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top