Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 5:56:51 PM EST
Chromed Lined barrel?
So a couple monthes ago some buddies and I were out plinkin and I was shooting some good ole' wolf out of my 16" C.A.R. Model 1 upper. After the shoot I stuck the rifle on the rack untill tonight I went to clean it and my bore was rusted and pitted. So that takes care of that barrel. Beings I'm going to "the Creek" next weekend I thought I would pick up a suitable replacement. My question to all you AR gurus out there is why should I buy a chrome-lined barrel over a standard chro-moly? Also, who of the following vendors do you prefer to do business with?: Model 1, J&T Distributing or M&A Parts?

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:40:13 PM EST
As a general rule J&T is good to go. Some of the parts I bought from them several years ago were a little on teh low-end side in terms of fit and finish but what I've seen from them lately looked good.

Model 1 and M&A are bottom feeders with a long and mutual history.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:02:49 PM EST
Bushmaster. Chrome lined, forged front sight bases, mil-spec parkerizing, awesome customer service, and a top notched product for a few bucks more than the riff raff.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:05:17 PM EST
Chrome lined will not rust on you. I have had non chrome bores get pitted in a few days. I will always use chrome or stainless in the future.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:09:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2004 7:09:32 PM EST by Dave_A]

Originally Posted By Patriot223:
Chromed Lined barrel?
So a couple monthes ago some buddies and I were out plinkin and I was shooting some good ole' wolf out of my 16" C.A.R. Model 1 upper. After the shoot I stuck the rifle on the rack untill tonight I went to clean it and my bore was rusted and pitted. So that takes care of that barrel. Beings I'm going to "the Creek" next weekend I thought I would pick up a suitable replacement. My question to all you AR gurus out there is why should I buy a chrome-lined barrel over a standard chro-moly? Also, who of the following vendors do you prefer to do business with?: Model 1, J&T Distributing or M&A Parts?

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

1) Olympic Arms would be a better choice for barrels than any of the above...

2) If you can rust out a chrome-moly barrel, get STAINLESS, not chrome-lined... Much better corrosion resisitance and better accuracy too...

3) Make sure you have at least a 1:8 twist... Avoid 1:9, 1:10, etc...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:11:01 PM EST
Holy crap, i didn't know you could rust out a chrome moly barrel that quick.

Thats the last straw... i'm never buying anything that aint chromelined.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:13:34 PM EST
If you want it to blast with, get chromed, the accuracy advantage of stainless is small and the boys at the creek aren't gonna notice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:58:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By Patriot223:
I was shooting some good ole' wolf out of my 16"

tonight I went to clean it and my bore was rusted and pitted.
Top Top