Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 12:21:25 PM EDT
I keep seeing posts about people waiting 27 weeks for an RRA carbine or 4 months for a Model 1 upper, or whatever, and I wonder why you'd put yourself through that?

Now, NOTE that I'm not talking about special-order stuff ... (see below)

True, I live in a big metro area, but I can go to any of the big gun shows (one about every 3 weeks on average) and pick up stripped or complete uppers or lowers, LPK's, BCG's, parts of every description, etc., etc., and any kind of factory rifle I'd want - with the possible exception of specialty stuff like rifles with fluted SS barrels, SBR's, or high-end stuff like Noveske, BCM, etc.

I understand you can sometimes save a few bucks by going mail order, but no way would I wait 4 months just save a few bucks.

Why do people do that?  

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW,

Not to knock gunshow vendors, but, getting stuff from that source is perceived to be not as trustworthy as buying from trusted dealers.

So, folks will wait a little longer to ensure that they are getting exactly what they are paying for.

Consider it buying "peace of mind" so to speak.

EDIT:

To further illustrate...

lot's of bogus stuff out there being sold as 'genuine' these days. Aimpoints, ACOGs (apparently there are bogus EOTechs, too!!!) and so forth. Also LPK's with dubious origins being sold as "first quality OEM."

Folks are willing to wait for quality.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought my first AR complete from a friend, but I'm going to go with stripped lowers from now on. I don't feel like messing with barrel installation, so any upper I get will need to be complete minus BCG and handguards/rails.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
FWIW,

Not to knock gunshow vendors, but, getting stuff from that source is perceived to be not as trustworthy as buying from trusted dealers.

So, folks will wait a little longer to ensure that they are getting exactly what they are paying for.

Consider it buying "peace of mind" so to speak.

EDIT:

To further illustrate...

lot's of bogus stuff out there being sold as 'genuine' these days. Aimpoints, ACOGs (apparently there are bogus EOTechs, too!!!) and so forth. Also LPK's with dubious origins being sold as "first quality OEM."

Folks are willing to wait for quality.

I don't disagree, but note I said rifles and parts - not optics and that kind of stuff. And you need to be an informed buyer anywhere you buy ... I've heard lots of tales about FFL's and gun shops switching out parts like BCG's and substituting lesser parts so they could sell the "good stuff"!

I just don't see someone waiting months to get something like an S&W M&P or an RRA Entry Tactical or Colt 6920 when there are tons of reputable dealers where you can walk out the door with your gun!

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most of the parts guys who show up at the gun shows around here sell Model One quality parts (at best). Someone had a post of a Sherluck gas key that was completely unstaked.

The best-shooting rifle I have is a build with Model 1 upper. Accurate as hell.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I waited 7 months for my DMPS Lo-Pro.  I ordered it 2 weeks after the election and it came in on June 10.  Now I could have bought one from another sporting goods store but the few they had in stock were WAY over priced.  I waited and save $300-400.  I did not "need" it right away so it was worth it to wait.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I keep seeing posts about people waiting 27 weeks for an RRA carbine or 4 months for a Model 1 upper, or whatever, and I wonder why you'd put yourself through that?

Now, NOTE that I'm not talking about special-order stuff ... (see below)

True, I live in a big metro area, but I can go to any of the big gun shows (one about every 3 weeks on average) and pick up stripped or complete uppers or lowers, LPK's, BCG's, parts of every description, etc., etc., and any kind of factory rifle I'd want - with the possible exception of specialty stuff like rifles with fluted SS barrels, SBR's, or high-end stuff like Noveske, BCM, etc.

I understand you can sometimes save a few bucks by going mail order, but no way would I wait 4 months just save a few bucks.

Why do people do that?  

That's a damn good question? I was going to get a upper, until I saw the 12-16 weeks delivery on most sites. I ended up getting a new stripped barrel, used bolt/carrier,used CH and receiver, still need gas block and gas tube. But for the price and wait for a new upper it wouldn't have been worth it. Plus I got all the parts cheaper, with no wait. Anyways the long wait to get a upper, is an easy excuse for me to spend the money on something else while waiting.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the parts guys who show up at the gun shows around here sell Model One quality parts (at best). Someone had a post of a Sherluck gas key that was completely unstaked.

The best-shooting rifle I have is a build with Model 1 upper. Accurate as hell.

from 25 yards !!!!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top