Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2014 10:15:33 AM EDT
I just do not understand the issue a lot of you have with Tula Ammo.  I have shot many hundreds of rounds of Tula and it is not nearly as bad as a lot of you make it out to be.  I mean come on at less that $6.00 a box it is really kind of hard to beat.  Just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there's a lot of hate for it as long as you use it for what it is which is cheap, dirty plinking ammo and usually doesn't do very good for shooting groups with. some have decent luck with it and others don't but as long as you have reasonable expectations you will be fine with it. it is what it is....
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Reality not fullfilling expectations.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#3]
It's too weak to reliably cycle my 10" M16.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I just do not understand the issue a lot of you have with Tula Ammo.  I have shot many hundreds of rounds of Tula and it is not nearly as bad as a lot of you make it out to be.  I mean come on at less that $6.00 a box it is really kind of hard to beat.  Just my 2 cents...
View Quote
Many people find it does not cycle reliability in their AR15. There have been many long discussions about this issue. It can be very frustrating to try to correct. I use what ever is the lowest cost ammo for plinking. Every AR I own loves Russian steel cased ammo.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Weird. Cycles my 10.5'' PSA upper just fine. Not full auto, but not a single issue.

It wouldn't lock back my 18'' with rifle gas, but that was expected.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
After three boxes of Tulammo my AR looked like a .22 that hadn't been cleaned in 50 years.

I'd put it in the "emergency use only" category.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After three boxes of Tulammo my AR looked like a .22 that hadn't been cleaned in 50 years.

I'd put it in the "emergency use only" category.
View Quote

This. It's some dirty stuff. I normally only shoot about 3-400 rounds a rifle per range trip. J had never seen my gun as dirty as when shooting tula.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Im with you op, I plink with it and rarely have an issue.  It is inconsistent and sometimes underpowered to the point it will short stroke, but I don't mind an unexpected malfunction drill from time to time.  

For the price, I'll shoot it, to each their own.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Weird. Cycles my 10.5'' PSA upper just fine. Not full auto, but not a single issue.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Apples and Oranges my friend. When that selector slides back things change...
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I value the ability of my rifle to work reliably with the most common rounds available. If it couldn't shoot Tula it wouldn't be my rifle of choice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because there's over 600 fps difference between it and spec 5.56, so if you optimize a gun to run with 5.56 you may have issues with crap like Tula. Not to mention the pressure curve is all fucking weird.

If you spec a gun to run with dogshit ammo, then it's going to beat the fuck out if itself with quality 5.56. A good example is the DD 10.3" uppers, they used to hog the ports out something fierce so it would run on crap, as a result they usually break lugs at 6k and I've seen the lugs go and barrels deadlined in under 4k.

TANSTAAFL. also LOL at "hundreds of rounds"
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Once you get serious about shooting and start having the issues that everyone else is having you will understand.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I've put a couple K through my MP5, MP5K and a16" mid length upper on my M-16 without any issues. It's not as powerful as M-193, but it works for  general blasting in my Machineguns.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I have seen short stroking issues in a friends rifle that ran fine on other ammo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Works fine in my Glocks.  

I choose to only feed my rifles with militarily useful ammunition, however.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#16]
With brass cased 5.56/.223 approaching the $0.30 per round mark, the question is WHY would you even consider shooting dirty, unreliable, steel cased ammo?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
With brass cased 5.56/.223 approaching the $0.30 per round mark, the question is WHY would you even consider shooting dirty, unreliable, steel cased ammo?
View Quote

Yep! The 0-3 cents a round I save vs shooting something like Wolf Gold isn't worth it. It's dirty, it's under powered, it may or may not cycle correctly, the bi-metal jacketing is harder on your barrel, especially on the AR I shoot most which isn't lined.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just do not understand the issue ------- I have shot many hundreds of rounds of Tula .-------  Just my 2 cents...
View Quote

thats it. you have only shot hundreds of rounds. that is a typical days shooting for a lot of us.
its simply weak , shit.

some guns run it , some dont.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Save your 2 cents for the new barrel you'll need soon.......................

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Use a Heavier Buffer Like a 4.5 oz. and upgrade your Extractor. This has help me out with short stroking ammo like Tula.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Use a Heavier Buffer Like a 4.5 oz. and upgrade your Extractor. This has help me out with short stroking ammo like Tula.
View Quote

Isn't the conventional wisdom the heavier the buffer, the harder it is to get lower power ammo to cycle reliably?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't see how a heavier buffer and an upgraded extractor will have any positive effect on short stroking at all.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:41:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I don't see how a heavier buffer and an upgraded extractor will have any positive effect on short stroking at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most guns are wildly over gassed, which is why heavy buffers are always a nice fix to issues that have nothing to do with weak ammo, but more with the mechanics of the gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:50:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Anytime you mention "Russian steel cased ammo runs fine in your AR" you get attacked by the LGS KIA crowd. You may as well be questioning "Global Warming"(another joke)."You deny the science" They have charts, graphs and video's to make their point. "Your ruining your barrel and extractor" "It's not reliable, accurate or powerful enough" "the steel case swells , the lacquer melts, the polymer melts" Oh yea, they contribute to global warming. Did I miss anything?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:51:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Only in my AK.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where are you buying brass cased ammo for 30 cents a round the  cheapest I have seen it is more like 46 cents a round.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

thats it. you have only shot hundreds of rounds. that is a typical days shooting for a lot of us.
its simply weak , shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just do not understand the issue ------- I have shot many hundreds of rounds of Tula .-------  Just my 2 cents...

its simply weak , shit.

just this weekend I put 400 rounds through my AR in one range session and I had not one malfunction.  I shoot 4-500 rounds a week and most of that if not all is Tula Ammo.  Again my rifle eats it up with no problems.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just read an article about this very subject not sure where I came across it though I will try to find it.  It consisted of firing 30,000 rounds of steel cased ammo Tula, Brown Bear Wolf etc... and firing 30000 rounds of brass ammo from federal PMC etc.  The cost was quite different than firing Brass ammo. The average cost of the steel ammo was .28 cents per round and the average cost of the Brass ammo was .46 cents per round.  Now lets do the math... 30k x .28 cents is 8400.00 dollars  30k x .46 cents is13,800.00 dollars difference of 5400.00 dollars.  Now I do not know about you but that 5400 dollars will buy a lot of barrels if needed.  Oh and buy the way in this test the 2 barrels were cut in half and examined both needed to be replaced and the Steel barrel was worse off with only about 30 percent of it's rifling intact compared to 46 percent of the rifling intact on the rifle fed only brass ammo.  Again not much of a difference and the cost saving of shooting steel more than paid for a new barrel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Where are you buying brass cased ammo for 30 cents a round the  cheapest I have seen it is more like 46 cents a round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federal .223 has been $299.99 at one LGS here in GA for about two weeks now. Prices on everything else drop by the week.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I only buy the 7.62x39mm for my AKs. No problems
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I just read an article about this very subject not sure where I cam across it though I will try to find it.  It consisted of firing 30,000 rounds of steel cased ammo Tula, Brown Bear Wolf etc... and firing 30000 rounds of brass ammo from federal PMC etc.  The cost was quite different than firing Brass ammo. The average cost of the steel ammo was .28 cents per round and the average cost of the Brass ammo was .46 cents per round.  Now lets do the math... 30k x .28 cents is 8400.00 dollars  30k x .46 cents is13,800.00 dollars difference of 5400.00 dollars.  Now I do not know about you but that 5400 dollars will buy a lot of barrels if needed.  Oh and buy the way in this test the 2 barrels were cut in half and examined both needed to be replaced and the Steel barrel was worse off with only about 30 percent of it's rifling intact compared to 46 percent of the rifling intact on the rifle fed only brass ammo.  Again not much of a difference and the cost saving of shooting steel more than paid for a new barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just read an article about this very subject not sure where I cam across it though I will try to find it.  It consisted of firing 30,000 rounds of steel cased ammo Tula, Brown Bear Wolf etc... and firing 30000 rounds of brass ammo from federal PMC etc.  The cost was quite different than firing Brass ammo. The average cost of the steel ammo was .28 cents per round and the average cost of the Brass ammo was .46 cents per round.  Now lets do the math... 30k x .28 cents is 8400.00 dollars  30k x .46 cents is13,800.00 dollars difference of 5400.00 dollars.  Now I do not know about you but that 5400 dollars will buy a lot of barrels if needed.  Oh and buy the way in this test the 2 barrels were cut in half and examined both needed to be replaced and the Steel barrel was worse off with only about 30 percent of it's rifling intact compared to 46 percent of the rifling intact on the rifle fed only brass ammo.  Again not much of a difference and the cost saving of shooting steel more than paid for a new barrel.

Well you asked about the negativity around Tula and the link I posted (Sorry it's not live) answers it!

Read the article I linked....................

Love Tula if you like- hate it if you want.

If you do actually read the article- you'll understand the comment I made. ...................and you won't have to look for this other article you mention.  

What I don't need to do is your math quiz- I already know the answer.  

It sounds like you want to justify your decision, so go ahead you are justified- shoot all the Tula you want.  :)  It's your rifle, money and ammunition.

PS- Your prices are off.......................

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/223-556mm

Point is still the same though...................  :)

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I believe Wolf had Tula contracts and Tula lost it's contract, that's one reason why we saw TULA in it's own packaging.  VERY poor ammo.  We have shot 380acp(tula) and it would not penetrate an EMPTY plastic 16oz. water bottle at 20 paces!!!!.  However, their 223 will be fine for teaching "two to the chest one to the head" at 25yds or less.  Also, steel cases with BOXER primers can be reloaded, making Tula a worthwhile purchase for close range practice.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't run Tula for the same reason I don't fill up with the cheapest lowest grade garbage gas I can find.  Sure, a few tanks won't really hurt anything besides gas mileage.  Use the same shit gas for the life of the car and you will have regrets.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't know. Runs great in my M&P 15. And IMO whenever you are blowing something up at 55000psi residual crap is going to go everywhere. There is always residual crap - no matter who made the powder. If you want your gun clean, clean it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/223-ammo-55gr-fmj-wolf-gold-brass-case-boxer-primed-1000-round-case.html

.32/round and it's damn good stuff too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/223-ammo-55gr-fmj-wolf-gold-brass-case-boxer-primed-1000-round-case.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It actually works out to about 36 cents a round when you include shipping  Still a fair price though but it is still 10 cents more a round than Tula which equals $100.00 more a case for that particular ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top