Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2011 5:06:21 PM EDT
I was really enthusiastic about the potential for the 300 BLK on the AR platform after learning about it last year.  The big news was that this caliber was going to be supported by major gun and ammo manufacturers so availability wouldn't be an issue.  I soon started putting together my next AR build, which was to be for the 300 BLK.  I'm glad to see that several companies like CMMG now have 16" barrels for the 300 BLK, but there's no use in getting the barrel if I can't get any ammo.  What gives?  I have a buddy who's in the same waiting game.  He's at the point where he wants to give up waiting and just build another 5.56 or 6.8 with the parts he's assembled thus far.

It just seems to me like the whole thing is fizzling out now.  The 300 BLK website hasn't been updated in ages and there's no news about ammo supply problems or the like.

Anyway, I'm not that far from giving up on the idea myself and just doing a long barrel 5.56 build instead.

Does anyone have the inside scoop?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of people jumping on the bandwagon at the same time.  I guess nobody knew the .300 whisper has been out for years. I dont really care for the blackout, but i will do a quick search for ammo.

first site sponser i clicked on
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
CMMG will sell you 200 rounds of 147 grain supersonic for about $180.  Hornady is also making supers and subs.  Don't think its fizzling... more and more companies with 300 offerings including Lee dies recently.  Big hold up is supers for under $13 from Remington.  Don't think they would have any issue selling a ton if it was available.  Think it was delayed by the decision to develop a longer bullet for it to make it feed more reliably.  Many early adopters are reloaders.  Cheaper to load for this than 6.8 with cheap brass and surplus projectiles.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was really enthusiastic about the potential for the 300 BLK on the AR platform after learning about it last year.  The big news was that this caliber was going to be supported by major gun and ammo manufacturers so availability wouldn't be an issue.  I soon started putting together my next AR build, which was to be for the 300 BLK.  I'm glad to see that several companies like CMMG now have 16" barrels for the 300 BLK, but there's no use in getting the barrel if I can't get any ammo.  What gives?  I have a buddy who's in the same waiting game.  He's at the point where he wants to give up waiting and just build another 5.56 or 6.8 with the parts he's assembled thus far.

It just seems to me like the whole thing is fizzling out now.  The 300 BLK website hasn't been updated in ages and there's no news about ammo supply problems or the like.

Anyway, I'm not that far from giving up on the idea myself and just doing a long barrel 5.56 build instead.

Does anyone have the inside scoop?

Thanks!

Factory supersonic ammo is being made as fast as possible and withing the next 4 months there should be a lot more available in a couple different types. In about two weeks you should be able to find 125 grain Premiere Match 300 AAC BLACKOUT ammo for sale. After that there will be a hunters editions then sometime in October or November will be the cheap (hopefully around $12) supersonic. The gun has been out less than a year and has pushed the subsonic ammo availability which are now easy to find. It seems now they are playing catch up for the supers.

I don't think it is fizzling out as the release of the Lee dies took less than half a day to sell everyone of them on Midwayusa. When Midway also released the blemished 220 grain and other .308 pills that could be used in the blackout they were gone by late morning. I know some barrel manufactures are running over a month behind to get their 300 blackout barrels to the customers.

In the mean time here are a couple of places to pick up factory supersonic ammo:

CMMG 147 300 BLK Supersonic ammo

300 BLK 110 grain Hornady V-max Supersonic Ammo
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
also here is some subsonic in stock:

hornady 208g

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lots of people jumping on the bandwagon at the same time.  I guess nobody knew the .300 whisper has been out for years. I dont really care for the blackout, but i will do a quick search for ammo.

first site sponser i clicked on

Actually lots of people knew about the 300 whisper but it wasn't until 300 BLK solved the problems with the whipser that any large manufacture could invest the time and money involved in bringing the 300 blackout to the market.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Reload.

I've got Lee dies, brass, bullets, primers and a lower;  now I've just got to decide on an upper.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Summitt Ammunition is currently producing a 147 grain supersonic load. It can be purchased directly from Summitt or C3 Defense for $725 per 1000.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Reload.

I've got Lee dies, brass, bullets, primers and a lower;  now I've just got to decide on an upper.

this.

i do it every night.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Dumb question, but want to be sure-I can shoot 300 Whisper Ammo in a 300 BLK Upper??.....Thanks
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dumb question, but want to be sure-I can shoot 300 Whisper Ammo in a 300 BLK Upper??.....Thanks

Per Rsilvers, Hornady 300 whisper is ok to shoot in the 300blk.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, please pardon my ignorance, but who the hell is "RSilvers"?

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guy from AAC who came up with the Blackout cartridge.

300 AAC Blackout
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rsilvers is the man when it comes to AAC. Which is where the .300 blackout comes from

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm interested in building a .300, and I emailed PSA to ask if they were planning on offering an upper in 16"/18"20".  I was told that well luck, maybe we'll see a .300AAC upper from PSA next month.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually all you have to do is look on hornadys box of ammo or web site and it says:

Custom-grade ammunition from the factory. Built to the tightest tolerances for peak performance rivaling and sometimes surpassing handloads in many guns.

Based on the 221 Remington cartridge, the 300 Whisper cartridge loaded by Hornady is being offered in both a subsonic load (MidwayUSA #948-223 ) and this supersonic load, the 110 grain V-Max. Because of its low recoil, the supersonic load is great for recoil sensitive shooters. Also makes a great short range hunting catridge! Built for AR-15 type platform rifles, this cartridge is compatible for guns chambered in the 300 AAC Blackout as well.

Hornady's V-Max Bullets feature a polymer tip which enhances accuracy and promotes devastating expansion. The tip raises the ballistic coefficient for faster velocity and helps to stabilize the bullet in flight. It also acts as a wedge, initiating bullet expansion. The copper jacket provides the necessary bearing surface for maximum stability out of the barrel, and the jacket is built to withstand the fast twist rates of the most advanced varmint rifles. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information
Caliber: 300 Whisper
Bullet Weight: 110 Grains
Bullet Style: V-Max Flat Base
Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 2375 fps

Almost all whisper cartridges/ammo can be used in the blackout but blackout cartridges/ammo cannot be used in the Whisper.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 5:13:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've fired Cor-Bon 220 grain subsonic Whisper ammo in my 300 BLK with no issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 5:56:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

my wilson barrel passed with both 221rem fireball and 300 aac blackout headspace gauges. i have fired the cor-bon supersonic 300 whisper ammo with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm interested in building a 300 BLK as well.  What is the optimal barrel length? I've been reading 16".  
Anyone making a middy in 300?

prib
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm interested in building a 300 BLK as well.  What is the optimal barrel length? I've been reading 16".  
Anyone making a middy in 300?

prib

If you are considering an SBR or subs, 300BLK is about as efficient as you are going to get and may as well go short 8"-10" pistol gas.  If you will mainly plan to shoot supers and want to eek out some extra performance 16" is fine.

ETA: Middy makes no sense for this.  Carbine is more than enough in this caliber given faster powders.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Remington stopped making the super. Not sure why, but you can get as much sub of theirs that you want.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Remington stopped making the super. Not sure why, but you can get as much sub of theirs that you want.

They are going to rebrand the cheaper loads under the UMC brand, and have just started shipping the 125gr premium super sonic load.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are going to rebrand the cheaper loads under the UMC brand, and have just started shipping the 125gr premium super sonic load.

MSRP on this stuff is apparently $34.99 and will ship soon.  Cheap stuff not until Oct / Nov

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#23]
<No advertising without paying for dealer status - Z>

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MSRP on this stuff is apparently $34.99 and will ship soon.  Cheap stuff not until Oct / Nov

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4155/premerematch1small.jpg

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/3079/accutip1small.jpg

What happened to prices in the mid-teens?
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4155/premerematch1small.jpg

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/3079/accutip1small.jpg

What happened to prices in the mid-teens?

Premium ammo vs plinking ammo.

The UMC stuff will be in the mid-high teens.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I set a notification reminder on the 125 grain stuff at Midway. Hopefully it'll be in stock soon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Upper on the way

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#28]
so after all this speculation, should we rename the thread to "just because 300BLK its not in stock on midway doesnt mean you cant find it elswhere."

Palmetto - Corbon

Graf & Sons - Hornady 208g subsonic

Graf & Sons - 110g VMAX

Big Boy Armament -Rem 220g Subsonic

Ammo to GO - Corbon

Able Ammo - 110g Vmax

ok, if i can do this in 5 min.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Roll your own....its more fun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Roll your own....its more fun.

I converted 50 cases last night and it was pretty fun. I even had my daughter involved and she had a blast
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
so after all this speculation, should we rename the thread to "just because 300BLK its not in stock on midway doesnt mean you cant find it elswhere."

Palmetto - Corbon

Graf & Sons - 110g VMAX

Ammo to GO - Corbon

Able Ammo - 110g Vmax

Naw, too easy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:45:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Palmetto - Corbon

Graf & Sons - 110g VMAX

Ammo to GO - Corbon

Able Ammo - 110g Vmax

Naw, too easy.

That's not Blackout ammo, that's Whisper ammo!

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Palmetto - Corbon

Graf & Sons - 110g VMAX

Ammo to GO - Corbon

Able Ammo - 110g Vmax

Naw, too easy.

That's not Blackout ammo, that's Whisper ammo!

Look at it this way, if you start with Whisper ammo, you can reload a few more times before you have to trim.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#34]
the 7.62x39 is a better choice if you want a 30 cal AR.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

For ammo availability yes.  My x39 is also very accurate.  I just dont like the mag situation.  Some of the Cproduct mags have been 100% for some people, but even after many revisions, I do not find this to be true IMO.  There is nothing like a magpul mag!  I like the 300BLK/Whisper because it feeds flawlessly 100% through any AR mag.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Better is subjective.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For ammo availability yes.  My x39 is also very accurate.  I just dont like the mag situation.  Some of the Cproduct mags have been 100% for some people, but even after many revisions, I do not find this to be true IMO.  There is nothing like a magpul mag!  I like the 300BLK/Whisper because it feeds flawlessly 100% through any AR mag.

there was a thread here a few months ago talking about filling down the front rib so the magpul mags would work.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only ammo availability that is better is the surplus stuff, wolf or bear. The cost for that ammo can't be matched by the 300blk and probably never will. Now, for reloaders the 7.62 X 39 isn't even close to whats available to reload with. You can use any .308 round ever produced from 110gr V-max up to 240gr SMK with many in between. There are also more .308 ammo coming on the market specifically made for the 300 blackout. Soon enough there will be many more options for 300 blackout ammo.

With the 7.62 X 39 you practically lose the ability to shoot subsonics which is one of the best features of the 300 blackout. You also have to change a large number of the parts on an A.R. to get the 7.62 x 39 to work. While you only have to change the barrel for the BLK.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top