Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 4:00:51 PM EDT
Anyone tell me why the mount has a slight left offset? I'm not refering to the striaght mount but the one that has the forward extention in it. Sorry for not having exact model number. It is called the Knights Aimpoint Offset mount. What is the purpose, is it to have the dot clear the front post sight? Any help appreciated.
Shoot safe.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Its purpose is to move the Aimpoint further from your face.  Some, including myself, think it points better this way.  Its housing also takes up less of your field of view.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the GGG equivalent, and I think it places the aimpoint in the perfect spot, right over the delta ring...or atleast where the delta ring usually is
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
ZAK - I think he is saying he is offset slightly to the left of the receiver...  

If that is what he is saying - it should not do that...  It will not allow co-witness if it is offset left or right...

Are you sure it is real KAC?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ZAK - I think he is saying he is offset slightly to the left of the receiver...  

If that is what he is saying - it should not do that...  It will not allow co-witness if it is offset left or right...

Are you sure it is real KAC?

Oh, right.  It should definitely be centered left/right.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Haha, dont feel bad, I can't read either...

Actually, I just read your reply and decided to back you up ;-)

It should be centered!  Otherwise, it probably isnt a real mount.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Red1Alpha wrote, "...the mount has a slight left offset..."  Folks, he's not saying the Aimpoint is off-center, just that the mount has more mass to the left of its centerline than the right.

Well you can sure tell the folks who have never owned one of these mounts!  Red1Alpha, don't listen to these helpful and well intentioned (but non-KAC mount owning) guys -- your mount is fine.  No, I don't know the engineering reason for the sort-of 'lop-sidedness' of the mount, but that's how mine was too.  And unless MSTN started selling fakes then mine was a real KAC.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Red1Alpha wrote, "...the mount has a slight left offset..."  Folks, he's not saying the Aimpoint is off-center, just that the mount has more mass to the left of its centerline than the right.

I don't see him implying that.  

Actually, it has more mass to the RHS, but the cut is more evident on the LHS.

The tube is still centered over the rail.  Think about it-- if it wasn't, it wouldn't co-witness properly.

There is more material on the RHS because it doesn't come "in" from the base's RH claw.  On the LHS, outer extent is not as far from the centerline because the LHS screw claw engages the top angled surface.

Well you can sure tell the folks who have never owned one of these mounts!  Red1Alpha, don't listen to these helpful and well intentioned (but non-KAC mount owning) guys -- your mount is fine.  

Whatever.

[ link to LARGER image ]

[ link to LARGER image ]

Look at the pictures carefully and you'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm just trying to keep things simple by following his convention for left-side, right-side.

Thanks for posting the pictures for the people who've never seen one of these mounts.  The 'KAC mount that doesn't co-witness/it's a fake' thing still has me laughing.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just trying to keep things simple by following his convention for left-side, right-side.

Sure, the LHS has more mass if you put it on backwards.   Do we really need to use "starboard" and "port" when referring to this?

Whatever.

What part don't you understand?

Your attitude.

If he was indeed referring to the offset nature of the cantilever arm (instead of the location of the ring), then the question has been answered.  It's apparent to anybody who examines the mount for more than 5 seconds.

-z
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Can I quote you?  Thanks.

Whatever.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Ellery...... THanks for clarifying my question. On several of the web pictures the mount does indeed seem to appear that it made so the scope centerline is to the left of the mount centerline. I was not sure it was an illusion from the picture or purposely made that way. If indeed it was made that way there had to be a reason... hence my intial question. Do any of the other brand mounts have this "offset"????
Thanks to all replies i'm looking for the right one to get for my RAS II rail.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ellery...... THanks for clarifying my question. On several of the web pictures the mount does indeed seem to appear that it made so the scope centerline is to the left of the mount centerline. I was not sure it was an illusion from the picture or purposely made that way. If indeed it was made that way there had to be a reason... hence my intial question. Do any of the other brand mounts have this "offset"????

Just to clarify: The KAC mount centers the Aimpoint; there is no side to side offset

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you're going to mount it on the hump I would recomend the LaRueM68 CCO low mount or the ARMS #22M68 without extention. My LaRue has been great to me on my RAS II hump.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:44:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're going to mount it on the hump I would recomend the LaRueM68 CCO low mount or the ARMS #22M68 without extention. My LaRue has been great to me on my RAS II hump.

Agreed.  The Larue is a good choice for mounting on the hump.  If you are mounting on the RAS II's hump, the offset/cantelever mount will place the sight too high.  You need a low mount.

Do you have one or are you just seeing pics of them?  When they say offset, they mean that the mount places the sight forward of where a normal straight mount would while still gripping the rail at the same point on the receiver.  If you want to know the purpose of it being a cantelever mount, it is too clear room for use with night vision.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:29:25 AM EDT
[#15]
It it is not centered up something is wrong. I have an Arms 22M68 mount that was the same way. I replaced it and religated it to holding my surefire base. Send you moun back to KAC.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:25:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Well you can sure tell the folks who have never owned one of these mounts!  Red1Alpha, don't listen to these helpful and well intentioned (but non-KAC mount owning) guys -- your mount is fine.  No, I don't know the engineering reason for the sort-of 'lop-sidedness' of the mount, but that's how mine was too.  And unless MSTN started selling fakes then mine was a real KAC.

I have a KAC mount

What I understanded was the Aimpoint was offset in the mount off to the left...

Maybe my english comprehension needs work but so does yours.

-Kevin

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I know there are counterfeit KAC handguard panels that actually have the KAC logos on them- Do these fake replica (i.e. AIRSOFT) 30mm offset mounts have any marking or logos too?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#19]
No, they just have a different nut.  KAC's nut is flat and long, almost like a wing nut, the knock offs use a round one I think.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No, they just have a different nut.  KAC's nut is flat and long, almost like a wing nut, the knock offs use a round one I think.

I don't think that statement is correct either. Some KAC mounts were available with hex nuts (wrench required to tighten/loosen) and some could be had with the long flat nuts to allow mounting w/o tools. The flat nut was supposed to make them "QD".
Some of the fakes I've seen have hex nuts. The metal just isn't very strong and they strip easily. Especially if tightened like you would a real one.
Ed
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Ditto to Ed - I have seen the KAC ones (at KAC so I guess they weren't fakes...) in both versions and their Military catalogue has both options listed.
From the Catalogue
P/N 98512 - (special order wingnut shown)

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Wes is right, the offset mount is to accomodate a piggybacked night vision system.

I use a cantilever mount on my rifle because i prefer the Aimpoint-over-delta-ring position...and in case i ever want to add a night vision system in the future.  Tripower in picture has since been replaced with an ML2 along with a collapsible stock, and threads at the end of my barrel :)

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Learn something everyday, thanks gents
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a KAC mount

-Kevin

I think the confusion comes from  the fact that the original poster was confused by the descriptive "offset" and has only seen the mount in pictures and thought it looked as if it is offset to the left. I don't think he actually has one in his possession and was asking why it was "made" to be offset to the left.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:53:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thanks Kevin.  I thought I understanded too.  I apologize that what I writed came across badly.  I thought I knowed what he wrote.

Good tip on my english too.  I'll work on it.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:11:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Cheers
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top