Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2006 6:14:43 AM EDT
I can easily find .50 Beowulf for $20 for a box.  I can get .499 LW from Lietner Wise for $19 to $27 per box.  But the cheapest .458 SOCOM I can find is $45 a box.  WTF?  They're all 20 round boxes.  They're all specialty loads that have to be manufactured in small quantities.  So how come .458 SOCOM cost two or three times as much as other comparable .50ish loads?  

Now that RRAs making .458s, can we expect the price of ammo to come down?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
But the cheapest .458 SOCOM I can find is $45 a box.  WTF?

CORBON.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Better start reloading yourself.
I think corbon was/is the exclusive producer of 458 ammo therefor big $$$.

I was thinking about getting a 458 upper until I saw the price of ammo.  No way for me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Better start reloading yourself.
I think corbon was/is the exclusive producer of 458 ammo therefor big $$$.

I was thinking about getting a 458 upper until I saw the price of ammo.  No way for me.

As was I.  I'm having second thoughts now.  I'm not sure reloading is something I really want to get into.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Now that RRAs making .458s, can we expect the price of ammo to come down?

The only thing that will bring down the price of ammo is for more ammo companies to make it.  The only way more ammo companies will want to make any, is if DEMAND is sufficient.

My guess is there is not enough .458 Socom demand currently for other ammo makers to offer it
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top