Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 6:34:50 AM EDT
Was shooting my friend's match target the other day and wanted to know why they give it this name when it doesn't (well his didn't and it was from the factory) have a match trigger set.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#1]
so they could sell it during the "ban"

That was the only way Colt could have sold them in NJ.  When I walked into my local gun shop in 1998 I saw ARs on the wall and the owner told me that due to some changes to the rifle he could sell it. The name being one of the changes.

So I plopped down the cash and went home with my first AR
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Colt Match Target.

Think it has something to do with the model type... Like ones without a bayonet lug, flashhiders, and all of the evil lil features.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I see...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That... and chicks get s00per horney when the see "Match Target" on your Colt!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Because 'Evil Baby Killer' was already trademarked.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That... and chicks get s00per horney when the see "Match Target" on your Colt!

This is true!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Yep

The ban specifically prohibited any gun named AR15, Sporter, etc.

Sooo.....needed a new name for the same (similar) gun
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
You all must be a whole heck of a lot youger than myself..

History lesson -

It was the Purdy shooting up the schoolyard in Jan-1989  that COLT went on a "PC" kick in late 1990/1991 or so that their rifles could not be easily converted, so they made .170 hammer and trigger parts, the .154 M16 std parts would not fit... sear blocks, cant use a drop in auto-sear or link... no bayonet lug, can't hang a bayonet... no evil "AR-15" rollmarks, they are now Target Sporter, Match Target...

AR stuff was hard to get, there was a paranoia that there would be no more AR-15 style rifle available,  I managed to secure (2) lowers from Oly in Jan 1990.   The Crime Bill (Assault Weapon ban) had nothing to do with the name change.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#10]
After that stuff, they changed the name to SPORTER. When the ban was enacted, they changed the name again to MATCH TARGET. Now that the ban is gone, they kept the MT line for states with their own bans, and now people buy the LE line rifles in the non-ban states. These would be guns like the 6920, 6721, and 6520.  

Quoted:
You all must be a whole heck of a lot youger than myself..

History lesson -

It was the Purdy shooting up the schoolyard in Jan-1989  that COLT went on a "PC" kick in late 1990/1991 or so that their rifles could not be easily converted, so they made .170 hammer and trigger parts, the .154 M16 std parts would not fit... sear blocks, cant use a drop in auto-sear or link... no bayonet lug, can't hang a bayonet... no evil "AR-15" rollmarks, they are now Target Sporter, Match Target...

AR stuff was hard to get, there was a paranoia that there would be no more AR-15 style rifle available,  I managed to secure (2) lowers from Oly in Jan 1990.   The Crime Bill (Assault Weapon ban) had nothing to do with the name change.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
So, how did they decide on Match Target?
To give the impression that it was only intended for sanctioned matches?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought the Match Target was the lower on ther CAR (Colt Accurized Rifle), which has:
Free Float
No FSB
Enhanced Single Stage Trigger
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top