Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2003 4:19:10 PM EDT
A newbie question here.  Planning to build up an AR-15.  I have been reading and keep seeing the AR referred to as a mouse gun and the varmint-barrelled rifles referred to as rat guns.  Why?  What's the origin?  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It's like the Big Block/Small block comparison.

Big Block = Rat Motor
Small Block = Mouse Motor

A .308 would be the Rat Gun(Big Block) and .223 would be the Mouse Gun(Small Block)
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome Aboard !!!

[wave]

I have No Clue about your Question?

Sorry
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Bullet size
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Because the cartrige is teeny weenie like a mouse.

Even chicks think the .223 is cute when they see it.
GG
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Coochie,coochie-coo,
Awwwwww and it's wearing it's own little full metal Jacket![:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Coochie,coochie-coo,
Awwwwww and it's wearing it's own little full metal Jacket![:D]
View Quote

[ROFL2]

I think the term was created By an old fart, possibly Jeff Cooper, who carried a big-assed M1 Garand.

If you're used to carrying a Garand or M14, the M16 feels like a toy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Because the term "poodle-shooter" went out a long time ago.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
For the same reason 9mm and smaller handguns are called mouse guns.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For the same reason 9mm and smaller handguns are called mouse guns.
View Quote

Yeah, but then what do you use .22LRs for?
To kill Germs?[whacko]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I never heard the term mouse gun until a few years ago.  When the M16s replaced the M14 in our unit, everyone was calling the M16s Mickey Mouse guns because they were so light, the bullets were so small, and when it fired it did not hurt your shoulder like the M14 did.  The conventional wisdom was that it would not work and the government was going cheap on us.  Looking back I can see how wrong we were.  If I remember right the stocks were made by a toy manufacture.  This is my 2 cents on the topic.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:28:37 AM EDT
[#11]
My ole highpower coach used to say:

"When you drop a round on your toe and it does not hurt, then you know it is too darn small to be any good"

And he also used to refer to my DCM AR15 as

"The stinkin mousegun!"
now he has two DCM AR15 and an SP1 upper .....
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:03:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Mousegun is a term used most often by people who don't know very much about firearms.

And children that see the term used by people that don't know much about firearms.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Because the term "poodle-shooter" went out a long time ago.
View Quote
[LOLabove] hell...you market them as "poodle shooters" and i know my mother would buy one...she hates those dogs and shes an animal "i take in strays" lover. she has more dogs and cats than most pet adoption centers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#14]
"Mouse gun" is a derisive term for the AR15/M16, coined by those in the Viet Nam era who thought the rifle and cartridge were too small, too "mousey", to be as effective as the M14.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I never heard the term mouse gun until a few years ago.  When the M16s replaced the M14 in our unit, everyone was calling the M16s Mickey Mouse guns because they were so light, the bullets were so small, and when it fired it did not hurt your shoulder like the M14 did.  The conventional wisdom was that it would not work and the government was going cheap on us.  Looking back I can see how wrong we were.  If I remember right the stocks were made by a toy manufacture.  This is my 2 cents on the topic.
View Quote

He's right.  The "Mouse Gun" term was a shortening of "Micky Mouse Gun" and was coined when the AR15/M16 was first introduced.  The other uses of the phrase, and any derivations, like "Rat Gun", were made up by you young farts who weren't out of diapers yet when the rifle was first introduced[:D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I remember right the stocks were made by a toy manufacture.  
View Quote

Urban Legend
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I remember right the stocks were made by a toy manufacture.  
View Quote

Urban Legend
View Quote

I thought the stocks were actually produced by a toy company. I think the urban legend is that they produced the whole gun.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#18]
The M16-A1 I saw recently, 1966 vintage Colt, had 'Mattel' stamped on the inside of the handgrips!

Guess they won the injection-molding contract that year...

And the result was the moniker "Matty Mattel".
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I love this picture.
[img]http://www.vzavenue.net/~eumenides/m16/mattel-M16.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmmmmm. It would appear that a picture is worth a thousand words. This is for real?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#22]
It must be, I found it on the internet.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is for real?
View Quote

Nope. Look at the Mattel lettering compared to the rest (selector lettering & M16 A1). Nice and uniform with no shadowing. Very 2 dimentional. Kinda blotchy around the address too.

Pretty funny all the same.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the stocks were actually produced by a toy company.
View Quote

See the kind of trouble you get yourself in when you start thinkin'?  [:)]

What REALLY happened is that Mattel came out with a toy M16 (called the M16 Maurader) in the late 60's.  Back then, they had a character (a young boy) named "Matty Mattel" in their ads, and among these were ads for the Maurader.

People, often GIs, who hated the M16 (and, given its early history, is understandable), LOVED calling the M16 the "Matty Mattel gun", implying that it was nothing more than a toy, and wasn't suitable for real men to use in combat.

Years of people misunderstanding or simply reinventing these stories resulted in people who claim to have SEEN M16s made by Mattel in Vietnam (never happened), or who KNOW that M16 furnature was made by Mattel (also never happened).

Be careful what you believe.

-Troy
View Quote

Fine, I was wrong. There's a first time for everything[;)].
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#25]
[url]http://www.snopes.com/military/m16.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I had one of those Mattel M16's when I was a kid. My step father made me watch all the footage of Viet Nam and had me convinced the was would still be going when I got to be 18. I had my own Army suit and he would teach me to put leaves and stuff in the netting on the helmet and to disapear into the weeds and underbrush. All this and I was only in first grade. Man was I a happy camper when the war was over!! But then I realized if there was no war I would have to learn to work. In 10th. grade I had my right eye injured in a fight and that ended any thoughs of me going to the service.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't believe all the wrong answers I see here...

They're for shooting mice. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It must be, I found it on the internet.
View Quote

[brick]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can't believe all the wrong answers I see here...

They're for shooting mice. [:D]
View Quote

Naw; Glocks are for shooting mice. ARs are for shooting everything else.

You should know that, since you clearly are possesssed of both.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#30]
And you guys forgot to mention the tagline to the ads:

"You can tell it's Mattel, it's swell!"
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#31]
IN THE MID-LATE 60'S, GI'S LOOKED AT THE NEWLY ISSUED GUN AND CALLED IT "MICKEY MOUSE" MEANING CHEAPLY MADE (PLASTIC STOCK,FORE-END AND DEFINETLY NOT 30CAL}.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top