Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/7/2002 5:12:43 PM EDT
Why is that tactical/sniper scopes are generally 10X and fixed power? Anyone know the reasoning behind this?
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 5:23:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 5:39:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/7/2002 5:40:27 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:03:14 PM EDT
Hello,

I forgot where I read or heard this so you may want to check it out but I recall that it is fixed for durability and simplicity reasons and 10x had something to do with the range that the mil dots could be used effectively. But you need to check that out.

I also recall that the average scope on a WWII German sniper's rifle was 4x to 6x.

If I were setting up a "precision tactical rifle" I would get the Remington LTR (light tactical rifle--fluted 20" barrel) in .308 and a 2-6x variable scope. That has more than enough reach for 99.5% of the applications of a "precision tactical rifle."

HTH
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:43:45 PM EDT
Tactical/Sniper Scopes have been predominately of fixed designs due to the reason mentioned above - simplicity and durability.
For a 7.62mm NATO rifle the 10x was the best comprimise - it allows decent target resolution out to normal engagement distances - and yet not to much that would accentuate mirage or lessen FOV to a tremendously restricted amount.

Recently a switch to Variables has gone underway - as they are being made as reliably, and durable as the fixed. If you get a mil-dot reticle in the first focal plane the mildots will corolate throught the scopes power range. (Premier Reticles M3LR's or the Schmidt&Benders) Furhtermore the lower power settings on the varibale make them more NV friendly
Top Top