Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2006 10:58:10 AM EDT
Not complaining... just wondering why most Match rounds are HP?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#1]
It is the way it is made.

FMJ rounds have an exposed lead rear as the copper jacket in the base, hollow point match ammo has the opening in the front.  The jackets are basically applied in opposite directions.

For match bullets, this helps have a consisent base bullet to bullet, meaning a consistent gas seal.  It helps keep your shot to shot precision more consistent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#2]
much better quality from the manufacturing process.

Make more consistant, and therefore more accurate bullets.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Agreed, the jacket is applied backwards so the base is covered.  I believe this process also helps create a large ballistic coefficient, but I don't know how or why I think that.  Something I read once, but I might be all screwed up.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Agreed, the jacket is applied backwards so the base is covered.  I believe this process also helps create a large ballistic coefficient, but I don't know how or why I think that.  Something I read once, but I might be all screwed up.  MJD

Mostly,

The tip of these bullets is very hollow.  It helps balance the bullet for better flight.  The shape of the projectile in regards to drag helps get better ballistic coeffecients.  The ballistic coeffecient of a bullet is velocity dependant as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mostly,

The tip of these bullets is very hollow.  It helps balance the bullet for better flight.  The shape of the projectile in regards to drag helps get better ballistic coeffecients.  The ballistic coeffecient of a bullet is velocity dependant as well.

Sweet.  Good to know I wasn't completely out of my tree.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
FMJ jackets are profiled before the core is even inserted, so the cores are cylindrical but with a pre-formed nose to help compensate for the shape of the finished bullet. The core of a FMJ bullet cannot completely fill out the tip of the jacket without blowing out the profile so there is always a space in the nose where the core is not uniformly filling out the tip. This can cause concentricity issues which effect accuracy.

A core in a HP/SP/FP bullet is completly cylindrical, as is it's jacket, it can be completly and uniformly seated in the jacket before profile swaging.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mostly,

It's not so much the shape as the location of the center of gravity, which is moved rearwards in relation to the center of pressure in a HP bullet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#8]
good info
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#9]
First off there are like two difference types of Hollow-Points. So please do not get them mixed-up. One type is the regular/true Hollow-Point like the SGK (Sierra GameKing) and the other type is an OTM (Open Tip Match) HPBT like the SMK (Sierra MatchKing).  

For more details please read the following:
www.thegunzone.com/opentip-ammo.html  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top