Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 5:00:45 PM EDT
80% lowers are generally in the $80 plus range while fully machined ones can be had for as little as $40.  They are most often not anodized, require less machining, no engraving and no record keeping so why are they so damn expensive?  Is it simply a supply and demand thing?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome how that works huh?

Probably just a combination of supply/demand/"because I can"/greed etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]
80% lowers are generally in the $80 plus range
View Quote

If you're paying $80 for an 80% lower, you need to shop harder.  They can be had for $30 raw or $40 anodized.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because of the perceived benefit.  

Because of the machine time.  

Because you can do anodizing yourself.  

Because of smaller volumes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
80% lowers are generally in the $80 plus range while fully machined ones can be had for as little as $40.  They are most often not anodized, require less machining, no engraving and no record keeping so why are they so damn expensive?  Is it simply a supply and demand thing?

Anonymity has its price.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Economy of sale.  Demand isn't as high so production isn't as high.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quality 80% lowers can be had for $29 right now.  Uppers can be found for the same.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, the Tactical Machining 80% I paid $60 for over a year ago are down to $29+shipping. Now, am I dumb, or when you finish an anodized lower, you still have bare aluminum insides, right?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, the Tactical Machining 80% I paid $60 for over a year ago are down to $29+shipping. Now, am I dumb, or when you finish an anodized lower, you still have bare aluminum insides, right?
View Quote

Correct, but everything else is protected except a couple pin holes. Nothing inside the fire control pocket needs the protection, really.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you're paying $80 for an 80% lower, you need to shop harder.  They can be had for $30 raw or $40 anodized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
80% lowers are generally in the $80 plus range

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quality 80% lowers can be had for $29 right now.  Uppers can be found for the same.
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone used a easy jig?

I think this is what i'm going to get to build my first lower with.

http://www.righttobear.com/80-Percent-Arms-Universal-80-AR-15-Easy-Jig-p/80j-easy.htm
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:08:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Clearly I needed to do some more searching.  Thanks for the tip, I might be ordering one soon.  How did yours turn out?  And yes you'd have raw metal in the fire control pocket and if I understand correctly anodizing improves the wear characteristics and surface hardness which might help prevent the trigger/hammer pins from egging out their holes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:16:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input and I understand the perception and volume ideas, they fall under 'supply and demand'.  Sellers base prices on what people are willing to pay.  But less machine time and lack of anodizing seems like they would keep the prices lower.  Although some replies below are pointing out that I haven't looked hard enough and cheaper options are available.

Sidenote: Are you the same 'Stickman' that does the awesome photography?  Didn't know you're part of Rainier.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top