Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2003 11:28:56 AM EDT
What exactly is the purpose for the dissipator style rifle.  I never really warmed to the look of them with the plastic handgaurds but after seeing a few with the midlength or full length rail systems on them I'm really digging them.  Still I can't figure out why the gas block is so far forward.  Obviously I'm no expert on these matters so if someone can clue me in I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The Dissipator upper gives a carbine-length barrel but a rifle-length sight radius.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
most dissipator style rifles have the real gas block in the normal carbine position under the handguards.  This is so the gas sys functions right.  The FS in the standard rifle-length position is for the look, or for the sight picture/radius.  Its all about getting the rifle like YOU want it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
They suck. Dont get a dissy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
No I won't be getting a dissy.  My next AR project will likey be an 18" version or a different cal.  I'm still infatuated with the 458 socom or the 499LW.  Either way it wont be till next year since I'm still putting together my M4.  Of course if I came upon a 9mm upper I might do that in the mean time.  This is a sickness.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Dissy is for the look, feel or sight radius of the twenty. If you like the carbine get one. Like the twenty, get one. But if you want a light, short, rifle feel get an M4dissipator.

AR's are like women, so many styles to choose from. Ummm

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the Dissipator for a couple of reasons:

1. There's alot less exposed metal to burn stuff with.  I also have a habit of putting my hand too far forward on a carbine and burning my hand on the FSB.

2. My Dissipator didn't get nearly as hot as my carbine did.  Both had heavy barrels, btw.

[b]Hawkeye[/b]...would you care to elaborate on why they suck.  That's kind of a vague evaluation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

1. There's alot less exposed metal to burn stuff with.  I also have a habit of putting my hand too far forward on a carbine and burning my hand on the FSB.

2. My Dissipator didn't get nearly as hot as my carbine did.  Both had heavy barrels, btw.

[b]Hawkeye[/b]...would you care to elaborate on why they suck.  That's kind of a vague evaluation.
View Quote

Sure. Just look at this thing. Its just horrible.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p38db7af7f67e16311f8258436b93f356/fb570a04.jpg[/img]

All that barrel covered up so as to not get burned on when in a real fight, and not just bench shooting at the range. The longer sight radius in a more portable package than a fullsize. Who would want all that? More pics of that monstrosity here.
[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=167486&page=1[/url]

[:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure. Just look at this thing. Its just horrible.

[url]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p38db7af7f67e16311f8258436b93f356/fb570a04.jpg[/url]

All that barrel covered up so as to not get burned on when in a real fight, and not just bench shooting at the range. The longer sight radius in a more portable package than a fullsize. Who would want all that? More pics of that monstrosity here.
[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=167486&page=1[/url]

[:D]
View Quote

Ass.  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn you Hawkeye.  Nice rig!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]
[shock]

[snoopy]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
My Dissy is going to look just fine once there's a Gem-Tech M4-96D on the end of it. [:P] Total package shouldn't be much longer than a standard rifle.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/p3bfb554eee04a2d3e9e6c1b3d047a56f/fb39cef7.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top