Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2003 3:56:24 PM EDT
Or are they all jet black these days?

I have an older Eagle Pre-ban I want to match up with and its a nice charcoal grey.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Not that this will help you any but I wish they were all grey.  To me it's much more attractive and much more ARish.  I'm currently in the process of building a "Commando" clone and want the upper and lower to be the older Colt grey.  I think I'm going to have to strip the anodizing off, reanodize and dye it the original Colt grey.  Good luck.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, if the lower was large pivot pin, then you would be in luck.  I needed a gray flat top large hole upper for my gray Colt Gov't Carbine lower - luckily the old C M6700 large hole flat tops were all (or most) gray.  Worked out rather well.

I think your only choice is to get a flat top upper and have it refinished in gray.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Norrells has a flat Colt gray as well!  Supposed to be quite nice!  I have the flat black and love it.....very durable!  Sorry I could'nt answer your real question Lumpy!
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Or are they all jet black these days?

I have an older Eagle Pre-ban I want to match up with and its a nice charcoal grey.
View Quote

I gave up looking and had SamB of Firefly Arms refinish one of mine with John Norrell's flat SOCOM black.  I had it back nine days after I sent it to him.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=21422&iGalleryUnq=833&iImageUnq=16993[/img]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
What in holy hell kind of hammer is that Raptor?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Wilson Combat has grey armor tuff which you can get on their flat top recievers. I have it in green on a UT-15 A3(Wilson's ar-15) and it seems very nice so far!
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I may just have the whole thing refinished in grey....I like grey a lot more than black.  Black isnt a naturally occuring color....
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I'm not mistaken, that's the JARD trigger/hammer.

-Troy
View Quote

KAC two-stage trigger/hammer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I may just have the whole thing refinished in grey....I like grey a lot more than black.  Black isnt a naturally occuring color....
View Quote

I know what you mean.  Before I had gotten both of my preban Eagle Arms, I purchased a stripped Colt M4 upper from Brownells and it was a near perfect match for the Eagle Arms grey.  My Colt lower was a lighter grey and I could not stand having a two tone M4 so I refinished both in SOCOM black.  I now wish that I had not done that.  Anyway, John Norrell can do the Colt grey for you.  Norrells charges $150 for the complete rifle if he has to take it down or $120 for the stripped upper and lower.  SamB does not offer Colt grey as a color choice.  His price for doing the stripped lower was $45 with return shipping.  I usually refinish my own but with my kitchen being remoldeled, that was out of the question.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Check around and you will find brand new surplus USGI 1X12 twist Colt gray A-1 uppers for sale. Should be a perfect match for your lower.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Raptor22, nice looking lower receiver.

Quick question... how well does John Norrell's finish stand up to abrasion from components that are not also treated with SOCOM black?

Specifically, I was wondering if you see any surface wear or finish removal at the juncture where the front pivot pin lug of your upper receiver meshes with the front pivot pin "ears" on the lower receiver?

It is my experience that refinished lowers experience pronounced & accelerated wear to the sprayed on finish in this location, due to tight tolerances & the pivot motion that is involved when one opens up their weapon.

Thanks.    

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Racist.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Racist.
View Quote

Punkass German pistol boy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Racist.
View Quote

Punkass German pistol boy.
View Quote

Shows what you know.
All American steel baby.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#16]
FINALLY....
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
[rolleyes]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top