Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 5:50:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2004 5:02:48 PM EST by sgtstinger]
I was wondering who here has actually had a problem with an OLDER revision Eo-Tech? What kind of problems did you have/are you having?

I've got a 552 Revision "C"( yep, there is such a critter!) I bought it just over 2 years ago from a vendor here on ar15.com. I have it mounted on my AR.

I like the sight a bunch, but...it seems to "eat" batteries when the sight isn't in use and stored in my safe. The batteries will run down, even though the sight is not in use. Now, I don't mind changing batteries, but not when I don't get to use the sight.

The second problem I've been having is with zeroing. I can get it pretty damn close, but when I go to make that final adjustment to make the POA/POI "perfect", it'll make a sizeable jump and I'll have to start over again. When I've got it "close", it gives acceptable results out to about 150 yards...I'd like to do better.

I've also got a 552 Revision "F" on my M1A and have had NO problems with it at all.

Before anyone jumps in and says, "You shoulda got an Aimpoint!!!", keep in mind that I did try an Aimpoint and I didn't like it at all.

Should I contact EO-Tech and see if they'll do anything(have they done anything to fix the older revisions in the past?) or am I just out of luck?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:37:04 PM EST
Send it in and get it repaired.

Mine was a revision E (Right before the F) and it just died one day. Sent it in and got it back in 2 weeks with brand new electronics replaced. Battery life is ok, it doesnt get left on a whole lot.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:03:06 PM EST
btt
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:05:18 PM EST
We've had two problems with our teams with our older "n" battery models. First is the battery issue that you mentioned above. The second is that two of the sights no longer turn off. We have to take the batteries out to shut them down. They turn on and function fine other than that. I'm getting them ready to send them back for repairs.

Just remembered another problem. On very hot training days the reticle flashes like the battery is low. Usually happens during a long (hot) course of fire.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:48:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:52:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By MPA90:
Just remembered another problem. On very hot training days the reticle flashes like the battery is low. Usually happens during a long (hot) course of fire.

If you are using alkaline batteries, then that's the likely culprit. Alkalines don't deal well in extreme temps. The 'N" batts are only availalble in alkaline, so if it is a "N" model, there's nothing to do but deal with it or replace it with a AA model so you can use lithiums.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:25:16 PM EST
I had a problem with a REV D that I was running on an AK. I put enough rounds through the gun to get it extremely hot. It started shutting down and finally after I'd removed it and let it cool down it stayed on.

I've had others online tell me the heat shouldn't have had this effect but I can't see any other variable that was present and the sight had no problems prior to this outing.

Shortly after that incident it began experiencing the now infamous "wandering zero" phenomenon. I sent it back to Electro Optics and to their credit I had it back in one week, including the weekend. I've never had service like that from any other company. There was no charge and it was traced to a defective windage mechanism.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:06:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By knightone:

Originally Posted By MPA90:

If you are using alkaline batteries, then that's the likely culprit. Alkalines don't deal well in extreme temps. The 'N" batts are only availalble in alkaline, so if it is a "N" model, there's nothing to do but deal with it or replace it with a AA model so you can use lithiums.

I saw "N" lithiums at Sportman's Warehouse last night, so maybe they are available now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:14:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By natez:
I saw "N" lithiums at Sportman's Warehouse last night, so maybe they are available now.

Interesting. I hope those start appearing at my local stores. It may be time to check out a compact EOTech if I can get lithium "N" cells now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:16:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:19:05 AM EST
I said this on another thread and I will state it here:

Originally Posted By knightone:
The EOTechs are very robust. However, the electronics are more complicated and is realtively newer technology (at least in such a small package), therefore you will expect to see more problems than with the simpler and older Aimpoint technology. The electronics are being improved upon fairly often and the newer models will have less problems out of the box than older ones. Once the EOTech has been around as long as the Aimpoint has been now, I'm sure the problems will become as rare.

Any piece of electronic gear can fail. That is why you have irons and that is why you shouldn't go into any dangerous situation without having throughly worked with the equipment mounted on your weapon. The great majority of EOTech problems come straight out of the box. The even greater number of EOTechs that do not have problems out of the box very, very rarely experience malfunctions. With EOTech's customer service as good as it is, there are no worries when buying and using an EOTech.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:48:14 AM EST
Top Top