Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2003 7:18:55 AM EDT
I'm building an A2 style upper and need a complete bolt group.

Need help deciding who's product to buy.  There are so many choices and I need opinions on who builds the better product.

Among the choices are RR enchanced, DPMS and BM.  There is quite a difference in price.  Does this equal a difference in quality?

Who should be avoided.  Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If you just have to have brand new parts to satisfy your soul, the Rock River enhanced is probably the best around right now.

Bolts? NONE of the aftermarket bolts I've seen in the past three years have been micropolished, like Colt does; so they all have sharp edges that will shave the brass off the case head, and put you at risk for having the piece crack at the cam pin hole (admittedly a rare occurance).

My solution? GI surplus carriers and bolts, made by Colt.  With the armed forces changing over to M16A2 and M4 configurations, and converting a lot of M16A1s, there are a fair number of milsurp top end parts out there.

Bought five of the GI surplus Colt bolt assys last year. Tried every one of them in my four ARs. Every one headspaced just fine; four of them wouldn't close on the max guage, and the fifth didn't close on the field guage.  All but one of my carriers is GI surp Colt also.

Understand, all the major aftermarket makers are buyin their internals from the same couple of subcontractors, so except for style, like the RR "Enhanced" if you buy from the major aftermarket people like Bushie, or Rock River, you're buying the same part.

Whoops, almost forgot about the fancy ass "premium" brands, like Les Baer, and Wilsons. Re them, save your money.  They don't work any better than the standards[:D]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you just have to have brand new parts to satisfy your soul, the Rock River enhanced is probably the best around right now.
View Quote

That's the one with the extra meat around the firing pin and full circle rear right?

Bolts? NONE of the aftermarket bolts I've seen in the past three years have been micropolished, like Colt does; so they all have sharp edges that will shave the brass off the case head, and put you at risk for having the piece crack at the cam pin hole (admittedly a rare occurance).

My solution? GI surplus carriers and bolts, made by Colt.  With the armed forces changing over to M16A2 and M4 configurations, and converting a lot of M16A1s, there are a fair number of milsurp top end parts out there.
View Quote

Is it true that Colt micropolishes their bolts and others don't?  Also, where would you attain GI surplus bolts made by Colt (and not a civilian bolt)?
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
[:D]

[img]http://store3.yimg.com/I/cdnn_1760_14380312[/img] [img]http://store3.yimg.com/I/cdnn_1758_10544253[/img] [red][b]$119.00[/red][/b]
[url=http://www.cdnninvestments.com/m16bolasnewc.html]CDNN INVESTMENTS[/url]  [:D]

Just got one in myself..........outstanding[;)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Keep in mind that just one machine gun part in your AR15 makes it a machine gun in the eyes of the ATF. Odds of getting caught are pretty small, but there's a big price to pay should it ever happen.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Are those bolts on CDNN the M16 surplus ones?

been looking for cheap parts, might have to grab one or two [:D]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Keep in mind that just one machine gun part in your AR15 makes it a machine gun in the eyes of the ATF. Odds of getting caught are pretty small, but there's a big price to pay should it ever happen.
View Quote

An unsubstantiated rumor. A M16 Bolt Carrier by it's self will not allow your AR-15 to go full auto.

from the legal forum
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=147440[/url]

My surplus M16A2 barrel is a machine gun part and it's not going to land me in jail either.

However, I'm not a Lawyer [real or imagined] and have never played one on TV. The above view is mine and has been arrived at by common sense.

YMMV.

PS>........If you have a law or ATF ruling showing that use of a M16 Bolt Carrier constitutes an illegal machine gun please post it for the benefited of us all.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread sure got off topic....Precisioniu asked what was a recommended carrier group.  My vote is for Young Mfg. or Les Baer which is also made by Young.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

[banghead]

Absolutely untrue, look [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=171289&w=myTopicPop]here[/url]

Back on the topic - from the ones you listed, I would get an RRA enhanced carrier, and a Colt bolt - a desireable combo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like from the threads referenced above the M-16 parts in an AR-15 is a subject of a lot of debate. With a new RRA bolt and carrier assembly costing around $110 I would rather spend the extra few bucks and not have to take a chance.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I would still like to confirm or deny this.  Are Colt bolts "micropolished" and others aren't?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:39:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got a RRA bolt/carrier from Legal Transfer LLC, and it is very nice.  I didn't have time to look for all the "enhance" features, but the firing pin is completely enclosed, and the extractor spring is a heavier one with the black insert.  Worked great in my new upper.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top