Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/19/2003 3:06:52 PM EDT
If the AWB sunsets will we be able to thread our post-ban uppers? Will silencers be part of the removal of AWB? Everyone is talking about what they are going to do if/when the AWB sunsets. I guess my question is who can thread a post-ban upper if it is soon possible. I have a carbine that is quite loud, and I would like to create a target range on my land in Wisconsin without annoying any distant neighbors.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:13:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:34:31 PM EDT
Silencers will still fall under NFA, but you should be able to have them on a formerly post-ban rifle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:33:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ConLima: I guess my question is who can thread a post-ban upper if it is soon possible. I have a carbine that is quite loud, and I would like to create a target range on my land in Wisconsin without annoying any distant neighbors. [coffee]
View Quote
Check your local dealers. Dealer near me has already quoted a price of $35 to thread and install A2.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:06:46 PM EDT
Pardon my ignorance, but does the barrel have to be removed to be threaded? I'm contemplating free-floating my carbine barrel, but I'm wondering if I should wait until the AWB sunsets to save on removing the barrel twice. Thanks, 00
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:12:00 PM EDT
You have to pull the barrel for threading so you should probably wait.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:53:52 PM EDT
I already have 3 pre ban barrels w/flash suppressors and 2 collapsible stocks in my safe, the day the ban ends will be a long but happy day in my workshop. Then I can thread the ones I swapped out at my leasure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:46:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 8:47:42 PM EDT by _DR]
Originally Posted By Delta_3_63: You have to pull the barrel for threading so you should probably wait.
View Quote
You don't have to remove the barrel - just the gas tube so you can clamp it in the barrel jaws. If you have an m4 with lots of exposed barrel, you don't have to remove anything. I have threaded a few that way - just tape a plastic bag over the rifle to keep the metal shavings and cutting oil off of it. I used the Dynasystems dies with their TAT (thread alignment tool) - works like a champ every time.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:50:46 AM EDT
Years ago I saw a guy threading AK muzzles at gun shows. All he had was a die and a pilot for it that kept the die aligned with the bore. Add a little cutting fluid and he had the threads cut in a matter of minutes just holding the rifle verticle between his knees while he sat on a chair. It's not a big job.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:07:53 AM EDT
Don't you have to turn the O.D. down first?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:43:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Delta_3_63: Don't you have to turn the O.D. down first?
View Quote
yep. i don't remeber the exact number but i think you have to knock the OD down to something like .485 or .495. i can't imagine trying to shove a 1/2x28 die over a .730-.750 muzzle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:02:36 PM EDT
I don't think I have any post-ban AR-15 barrels anymore BUT I do have a SAR 1 AK-47 and believe me I will be threading it and the AR-10 as soon as I can after the ban dies!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:47:55 PM EDT
I will have KKF or ADCO firearms take off my A3 brake and attach a Vortex to my bbl along with installing a new FSB with bayo lug. I also have a RRA lower, upper and a BM preban bbl and a phantom, and also a new Col. stock. All non assembled of course. I guess I will need someone to perm. attach the phantom and barrel the upper for me. If the ban doesn't go away I will sell the col stock and buy a A1, sell the phantom and buy another postban brake and have someone assembly the rifle for me. I can't wait, it sucks having a brand new rifle and you can't even put it together yet. JBritt
Top Top