Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2004 5:48:43 PM EST
I want to buy a complete lower parts kit for a Bushy lower build, and I want to use all Colt LE semi parts.

Link Posted: 7/5/2004 9:13:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:
I want to buy a complete lower parts kit for a Bushy lower build, and I want to use all Colt LE semi parts.

I thought that all Colt LEO rifles used the large .170 hammer and trigger pins.
Link Posted: 7/5/2004 10:04:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/5/2004 10:07:42 PM EST by CJan_NH]
QS, they are currently a cast iron bitch to find as a complete set. Colt's current LEO weapons use .170 FCG parts, so the source of older semi .155 FCG seems to be drying up. I just used my last complete small pin Colt lower parts kit I have enough extras kicking around to keep me going for a few more builds, but I'm starting to raid my spare parts bin to do it.

If you haven't already checked, SAW or RGuns may be able to help.

Recently I bought a couple of large pin Colt lower parts kits from RGuns and then used spare .155 FCGs. It's freakishly expensive to do it this way though. I rationalized it by telling myself that I got two extra .170 FCGs out of the deal for my factory Colts

Edited to add: If any of you guys find a good source please let me know.

Link Posted: 7/6/2004 5:24:58 AM EST
Rguns has 9mm parts..is there any drawback to using 9mm FCGs? I might want to put a 9mm upper on at some point anyway.
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 6:30:01 AM EST

Rguns has 9mm parts..is there any drawback to using 9mm FCGs? I might want to put a 9mm upper on at some point anyway.

The hammer is different. I am not sure that it would work with a .223 carrier.
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 6:50:28 AM EST
I went through this same thing a month or two ago and wish I had better news for you. The only source I found for 100% guaranteed Colt small pin lower parts kit is SAW sales and they want $150 for it!

RGuns only carries the large whole kits.

J&T Distributing claims their lower kits are made by the same sub that Colt uses? When I researched this, I had at least one person who claimed they compared a J&T kit basically side-by-side with a Colt kit and they appeared to be identical in color, casting marks, etc.. I can tell you a I bought one and the parts did appear to be of a slightly higher quality than the RRA and Armalite kits I've used. You'll need to make up your own mind on this one.

The only other possible source might be KY Importers? I called them and told them what I was looking for and they said they had it. When I asked if it was the small pin or large pin version they said "I don't know, call back tomorrow and I'll check them with a Caliper". Considering some of the run around I had already gotten from them, I decided not to call back.

Good luck
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 7:29:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By airgunner:
I went through this same thing a month or two ago and wish I had better news for you. The only source I found for 100% guaranteed Colt small pin lower parts kit is SAW sales and they want $150 for it!

RGuns only carries the large whole kits.

J&T Distributing claims their lower kits are made by the same sub that Colt uses? When I researched this, I had at least one person who claimed they compared a J&T kit basically side-by-side with a Colt kit and they appeared to be identical in color, casting marks, etc.. I can tell you a I bought one and the parts did appear to be of a slightly higher quality than the RRA and Armalite kits I've used. You'll need to make up your own mind on this one.

The only other possible source might be KY Importers? I called them and told them what I was looking for and they said they had it. When I asked if it was the small pin or large pin version they said "I don't know, call back tomorrow and I'll check them with a Caliper". Considering some of the run around I had already gotten from them, I decided not to call back.

Good luck

Airgunner, can you buy a straight lower parts kit from J&T, or do you have to buy a whole rifle kit? If you can buy just the LPK I'll give them a try
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 10:30:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
Airgunner, can you buy a straight lower parts kit from J&T, or do you have to buy a whole rifle kit? If you can buy just the LPK I'll give them a try

Yes, you can and at a cost of $55 + shipping, its not much of a risk. Matter of fact, if you order one, please report back your thoughts after comparing it to the known Colt parts you have laying around.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 10:45:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/6/2004 11:09:21 AM EST by CJan_NH]

Yes, you can and at a cost of $55 + shipping, its not much of a risk. Matter of fact, if you order one, please report back your thoughts after comparing it to the known Colt parts you have laying around.

Thanks

Okay, I just ordered two kits to try out. When they arrive I'll compare them closely with what I already have onhand. I'm curious to know how the trigger, disco etc are marked.

Thanks for the heads-up, by the way
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 3:20:05 PM EST
-X-

Want to see the outcome of the comparison.
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 3:54:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By criley:
-X-

Want to see the outcome of the comparison.

Your timing is perfect! My package from J&T arrived today

I haven't had a chance to get a look at the parts yet, but as soon as I do (in the next 30 minutes or so) I'll post back with some comparison pics.
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 4:07:52 PM EST
Clan, that IS great because I am in dire need of a LPK (or three)!

Confirm the price and ordering info, too, please. I went to their website and found it set up to order individual parts ... Guess they need a phone order to sell me the entire kits?

Looking forward to pix and info.
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 4:22:13 PM EST
tag
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 4:44:32 PM EST
Why not get a good lower instead?
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 5:42:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/13/2004 6:20:11 AM EST by CJan_NH]
Okay...

Please keep in mind that this is just a preliminary inspection-there is nothing comprehensive or scientific about it. Obviously these parts have not been installed yet, nor has their hardness been measured in a machine shop. When I get time I intend to bring a bunch of FCGs from different vendors to work and get Brinell hardness numbers on them. I would like to measure various brands to see if there is a tangible difference in quality.

Both kits arrived in ziplock bags like most others do. The bolt catch rollpin was missing in one kit, but I have plenty of extras so that isn't a big deal. There were two nice touches about these kits that I appreciated: J&T throws in an extra takedown pin detent and spring, and the pistol grip bolt is a slotted stainless steel bolt, rather than the typical anodized hex bolt in other kits.

Since J&T advertises Colt parts in their FCGs I compared the markings of their FCG parts with known Colt parts in my collection. The hammer and disconnector have markings consistent with Colt parts. The J&T triggers didn't have markings, but one of my factory Colt triggers doesn't have markings either. I'll know for sure once they're tested.

The other small parts-bolt catch, selector, magazine catch, trigger guard (metal, by the way), takedown and pivot pin measured out fine and were anodized properly.

Here are some pics-sorry about the image quality.

Unopened kits fresh out of the shipping box:

A few generations of known Colt parts for comparison:

Inventory of J&T parts:

Overall both kits looked very well done for the money. I look forward to comparing them with other brands, as well as installing them to see how well they hold up. Here is the direct link to buy a J&T LPK:

J&T LPK

www.jtdistributing.com/index.shtml

Link Posted: 7/12/2004 6:35:17 PM EST
Thanks Clan.

What is the consensus (if there is one)? If I have had some problems with my FCG and some parts need to be replaced, should I do a wholesale change out of parts, or just those that need changing? Seems like many parts would not NEED to be replaced, but it might be a good idea to change out the whole thing anyway.
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 2:28:48 AM EST
Thanks for the report CJan. Your findings are similar to mine. I do not have any Colt LPKs to compare against but compared to the RRA and Armalite kits I have on hand, I do find the J&T kit to be (at least cosmetically) better quality.

Funny you found the grip screw to be a positive. I realize a slotted screw is "spec" but I prefer the socket head screws and replaced the slotted screw in my kit.

I have no way to measure pull weight but installed, the J&T trigger is the smoothest I've used to date.
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 6:28:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/13/2004 7:21:47 AM EST by CJan_NH]
Thanks for your replies guys, and thanks again AirGunner for pointing these kits out to me So far I'm very happy with the quality of these parts.

Funny you found the grip screw to be a positive. I realize a slotted screw is "spec" but I prefer the socket head screws and replaced the slotted screw in my kit.

Do you still have your slotted grip screws? I have a bunch of socket head screws and star washers to trade if you'd like to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 1:36:41 PM EST
I called and ordered two sets as well. Fellow on the phone said the mfg is the same as Colt parts. Says some hammers and triggers are actually marked the same.

In any event, seems like you guys that have tried them have liked them, and genuine Colt small pin parts kits seem nonexistent anyway.
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 2:26:50 PM EST
I'm awaiting the final comparison...eagerly...
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 2:31:39 PM EST
Here is the web page for J&T lower kits if you want to order over the net, scroll to the bottom of the page.

J&T lower parts kit
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 2:37:23 PM EST
Outstandung job Chris!
Thank you for checking this out and doing the hardness measurments.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!
Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 2:46:39 PM EST
if I say that AR stands for ARmalite , am I gonna be shunned?

Who cares about "Colt Parts". They all work.
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 3:06:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/13/2004 3:06:53 PM EST by CJan_NH]

It must be nice to never have been burned with substandard, defective, or out of spec parts
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 3:43:13 PM EST
I have a Colt SP1 and a Colt HBAR II. Would they have the same size FCG? I'd like to order a couple parts kits for them both.
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 3:48:58 PM EST

Do you still have your slotted grip screws? I have a bunch of socket head screws and star washers to trade if you'd like to get rid of them.

E-mail coming
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 4:23:09 PM EST
Looking forward to hearing more. Mine should be here, probably tomorrow, if all looks good, I'm going to order 3 more for those Ameetec's I'm ordering this week.
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 4:44:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By peekay:
I have a Colt SP1 and a Colt HBAR II. Would they have the same size FCG? I'd like to order a couple parts kits for them both.

Peekay, your factory Colts have .170 fire control pins, so these kits aren't going to work (these are .155).

You can order a complete .170 lower parts kits from rguns.net HERE

Bushy also sells .170 fire control parts HERE

Link Posted: 7/13/2004 4:56:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/13/2004 5:05:57 PM EST by peekay]

Peekay, your factory Colts have .170 fire control pins, so these kits aren't going to work (these are .155).

Thanks!

edit: *newbie mode on* can i take the .170 stuff out and put .155 stuff in? is it the lower that makes the .155 or .170 difference?

and what exactly are you measuring to get .170 or .155, the pins that go through the trigger, etc?

Link Posted: 7/13/2004 5:21:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/13/2004 5:22:01 PM EST by CJan_NH]

Thanks!

edit: *newbie mode on* can i take the .170 stuff out and put .155 stuff in? is it the lower that makes the .155 or .170 difference?

and what exactly are you measuring to get .170 or .155, the pins that go through the trigger, etc?

No-unfortunately you can't swap one size with another.

You are correct, the ".170" or ".155" refers to the diameter of the hammer and trigger pins. Your lower will have corresponding holes to match. It isn't a big deal to have one versus the other, but it's important to know which one is which when you order spare parts.
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 6:16:54 PM EST
I have a Colt Match Target Comp. lower. What size pins do I have?
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 6:38:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By Attman:
I have a Colt Match Target Comp. lower. What size pins do I have?

All Match Targets are postban, and have .170" FCG pins
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:04:39 AM EST
So, was there ever a final word?
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:43:40 PM EST
So if I order a couple J&T LPK's they should fit fine in my Mega or Ameetec lowers (whichever I decide to buy)?

R
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:00:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
So if I order a couple J&T LPK's they should fit fine in my Mega or Ameetec lowers (whichever I decide to buy)?

R

Yes. They are standard kits with the standard small pins that will fit any lower except a Colt with large pins.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:14:12 AM EST
OK, maybe I'm a little thick headed, but I don't think I saw a definitive answer to this question.

I have an SP1 lower and really need to get some spare parts for it. Would it take the .155 or the .170 FCG parts?
I don't have a caliper, or I would just measure it.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:25:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By M4bangr:
OK, maybe I'm a little thick headed, but I don't think I saw a definitive answer to this question.

I have an SP1 lower and really need to get some spare parts for it. Would it take the .155 or the .170 FCG parts?
I don't have a caliper, or I would just measure it.
Thanks

An SP1 uses milspec, or .155, parts.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:31:11 AM EST

Thanks

Just to chime in, I love J&T but my brother in law just got an entire M4 kit from them. It was missing:

The lock nut for the stock
the little plate thingy that goes against the rear of the lower to keep the detent spring in place
bolt catch...in which he got a recall letter for the next day and didnt even have the original one!!
hammer spring
both the hammer and trigger pins
no detents at all

So, check your stuff thouroughly from them. When all you really sell is AR parts, this is kind of a big mistake proving they have someone there that is packing orders who isn't squared away.

Good thing is that I have zero doubt J&T will make good on this. They are a great company to deal with. Top flight uppers, the best I have ever seen with the best fit I have ever seen next to M&A, don't hammer me here but M&A does sell really good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:47:36 AM EST

An SP1 uses milspec, or .155, parts.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to get me some.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:57:24 AM EST

It must be nice to never have been burned with substandard, defective, or out of spec parts

Amen to that! I have been a victim of this ignorance too!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:29:30 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:38:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By brasspile:

Originally Posted By markm:

Amen to that! I have been a victim of this ignorance too!

Never had a problem with DPMS LPK's, and actually found the trigger "nicer" than bushy in a few instances, both being better than a stock Colt FCG (save for the 2 stage in my CAR-3).

Just my 2 cents....

I'm sure that there are standard-type LPKs out there that can give you a better trigger pull than a Colt..but they won't have the durability. A local "gunsmith" here used to make a fortune out of doing trigger jobs on stock LPKs....until some of the victims hit a couple of thousand rounds through their guns and the hammer and trigger sear surfaces started eroding badly. The hack had polished through the hardened surface and got into the nice soft internal metal, which made a really nice smooth pull until they distorted out of shape.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:44:12 AM EST
I'll take a shitty trigger pull every day of the weak, as long as it ALWAYS WORKS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:01:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 4:01:46 AM EST by markm]
Just got my Lower Parts Kits from J&T last night. I ordered two. Neither of which contained any Colt Parts in them.

Granted, they don't claim to be selling Colt parts when you order. But I was hoping to LUCK OUT like CJan, and Land some anyway. I guess I'll still use them, and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:47:46 AM EST
I looked at the parts closer, and there actually is a "M" stamped on the hammer. But nothing else has markings.

My other Colt hammers have "S" on them, so I'm still puzzled.
Top Top