Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2016 5:12:22 PM EDT
Hey guys I'm helping someone try to ID this stock.
Looks like a MARS stock,,, but no was that's what it is.
Any ideas?

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a MARS stock to me.  The dab of touch up paint on the castle nut and end-plate adds a little bit to it's authenticity.  But can't really tell if it's actually a MARS stock or a really good clone.  Here's a pic of an actual Colt MARS posted by one of the members here when it was on display at the show in PA.

" />
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
He said it does not appear to be cut. But has no " N1"
On the stock . And it came from knob creek
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I know what is is, how much he probably paid for it and who he got it from

It is an LWRC stock they did before the UCIW and he got it from Kurt at US Armament. I believe it uses the proprietary buffer and spring which he will have to order from LWRC but it is pretty reasonably priced.

How do I know?

Because I have the same one bought from the same guy and I know he was at Knob Creek

Yes, my buffer tube is different but that's because I swapped it out to the one in the pic before I bought it.

I'm just happy to definitively know an answer to something here!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
He also had some of these that I kind of wanted
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks man!

And those uppers pretty cool
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#6]
No problem, they are cool stocks and why I picked one up too. He will need to call LWRC and order the buffer and spring for the UCIW stock but it's not horribly priced.

The uppers are cool but Kurt advised my friend not to buy one as they were rejects from production and used a "wide feed lower" whatever the hell that means
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No problem, they are cool stocks and why I picked one up too. He will need to call LWRC and order the buffer and spring for the UCIW stock but it's not horribly priced.

The uppers are cool but Kurt advised my friend not to buy one as they were rejects from production and used a "wide feed lower" whatever the hell that means
View Quote

Well I guess you need to build a MARS clone now, lol

I.., don't know what a wide feed upper is. I've heard of wide
Ejection uppers but not wide feed
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm thinking of doing one of my infamous "retro inspired" builds with it.

I was thinking perhaps one of the PSA 9mm lowers with that stock would look kind of close but the big problem is the mag will not look correct at all. Another is it would mean me SBRing another lower

The other thing is I would have to get a custom buffer made to get the correct length and weight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was thinking perhaps one of the PSA 9mm lowers with that stock would look kind of close but the big problem is the mag will not look correct at all. Another is it would mean me SBRing another lower

The other thing is I would have to get a custom buffer made to get the correct length and weight.
View Quote

Ya trying to make a true MARS clone... Would be involved
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:07:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A MARS clone chambered in 22TCM would be awesome!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thought was 30 carbine. Only because you wouldn't have
To mag mags... Assuming they would work in the lower
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Those uppers are probably LWRC also. Duh, it says LWRC on the upper :)

They have a proprietary upper and lower that is wider to feed the 6.8 more reliably.

The LWRC SIX8

https://www.lwrci.com/p-332-m68-spr.aspx
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Well this is kind of interesting link

They show a complete 22TCM upper and make mention of barrels and mag blocks for M1 carbine mags.

Hmm...
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Did they have any more of those stocks for sale?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I got one from him about a month ago and he does not have a retail shop, doesn't ship and the closest show to me he goes to is about an hour and a half away and not until December. I can try and check for you if you're patient.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got one from him about a month ago and he does not have a retail shop, doesn't ship and the closest show to me he goes to is about an hour and a half away and not until December. I can try and check for you if you're patient.
View Quote

That would be great, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#17]
What is the OAL?

One of my M231 buffers may work in it (or could be made to work)
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#18]
What tube is being used? I'm assuming shorter than normal...
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#19]
any way to get ahold of the guy selling those Saudi 6.8 uppers?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What is the OAL?

View Quote

I do not have a buffer in hand for it but should be the same one as the UCIW. I need to order one for some stocks I have anyway and do have one of your 231 buffers here so can do a side by side once I get it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, it is shorter and I will get you measurements tomorrow when I get home. It is the same tube as the UCIW stock.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, it is shorter and I will get you measurements tomorrow when I get home. It is the same tube as the UCIW stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome. I have an M4 stock with a chopped toe I want to cut down in the other direction. Thanks! How you been? I don't get her much anymore.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Doing pretty well man and don't be a stranger!

If I would have known how popular these stocks would be I would have bought all of them he had! He had maybe 4-5 last show I saw him at but I don't know how many he may have had back at his shop.

The reason I didn't get more was I figured the buffer and spring issue would have been more hassle than people would want to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I do not have a buffer in hand for it but should be the same one as the UCIW. I need to order one for some stocks I have anyway and do have one of your 231 buffers here so can do a side by side once I get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the OAL?

Let me know. I could shorthen it to make it work. Every other caliber works with this spring/buffer. Adjust the weight for whatever the MARS round needs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If I would have known how popular these stocks would be I would have bought all of them he had! He had maybe 4-5 last show I saw him at but I don't know how many he may have had back at his shop.

The reason I didn't get more was I figured the buffer and spring issue would have been more hassle than people would want to deal with.
View Quote

Well, you know us here on the retro board, we'll take on any weird project...  I've been really busy - finished my 3rd book, (another WWII thriller) and am trying to get a traditional book deal for it. Nearly done with my 4th book, (literary) am re-editing my 1st (literary), and am about 100 pages into another historical thriller that is a 'prequel' to 'House of Apache Fires'. Plus I've been remodeling, so not much time for guns lately, although I'm putting a Recce together in the next few weeks. Have everything I need. I drop in here from time to time and lurk... Anyone gets a MARS prototype together, I'd love to see it!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm thinking just use this stock on the LWRC ultra compact stock system.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#27]
That's the one I think it was intended for but not available "off the shelf" and requires ordering direct from LWRC. I forget what price they told me but it was pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I wonder if the JP capture spring from Maxim Defense would work in this stock, would give a few more options with weight.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#29]
So these don't have Colt N 1 markings?  They just look like regular fiberlites that have been cut down.   Would be pretty simple to replicate.  Canada tried something similar for a PDW project that never really went anywhere.

ETA:  After taking a closer look at the photos these look like M&A based on the rear sling loop.  That explains the lack of markings.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Pro2ndAm
Looks like a MARS stock to me.  The dab of touch up paint on the castle nut and end-plate adds a little bit to it's authenticity.  But can't really tell if it's actually a MARS stock or a really good clone.  Here's a pic of an actual Colt MARS posted by one of the members here when it was on display at the show in PA.

hmmm looks like the front of a magwell cut and grafted with a little in the middle missing, im pretty sure we have folks here that are very capable of doing such and looks to be pretty much the same with the mag
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Sorry, work was keeping me busy and finally remembered to pull the stock out and take measurements as promised.

Buffer tube is 6 1/8" end to end
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top