Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2003 3:18:09 PM EDT
I'm thinking about building a sniper rifle next, so I'm looking at 20" and 24" uppers, free floating barrels, etc.  I'm interested in knowing who everyone thinks makes the most accurate rifles (I'd like to stay true to one manufacturer).

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not the manufacturer, it's the person behind the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Rock River with the two stage national match trigger is pretty hard to beat without spending mega bucks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The accurized AR15s are not exactly "sniper rifles", wonderfully accurate they can certainly be but that little 223Rem makes them more like a varmint rifle.

The better guns will generally give a box stock Remington 700 of the same caliber a run for it's money accuracy wise, it's just the AR platforms do it for more money.   Benefits are definitely the lighter recoil, ease of loading, not having to carry loose rounds to reload after every 5th shot, and a few other things.

All of the high volume manufacturers make AR15s that are pretty accurate, between a Bushmaster Varminter, an Olympic PCR with a Ultramatch barrel, an Armalite Target variant, DPMS bull barreled gun, or a Rock River version, it's likely they will all turn in subMOA performance with good ammo.

At some point, one of the manufacturers is going to offer something that the others don't.   Either it will be something style oriented, physically different, or value based that winds up helping you make your decision.    It won't neccesarily be capabilities that set the rifles apart because they are all fairly closely matched.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I DO! I just put together a parts gun using a DPMS lower, FN Flattop upper, Wilson heavy stainless steel match barrel and a Rock River two-stage trigger. I cut the barrel to 22" with a 11 degree target crown. I topped it with a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 tactical.

This afternoon, with the 69 gr. Sierra matchking bullets and Varget powder, I shot several sub moa groups with the smallest going into .346". I even shot a 5" 500 yd. group in some tricky winds. (5-shot groups). Put it all together myself.

Not bad for an amateur.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]
5" @500yds.. damn nice..
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are looking for a sniper rig you need to get a Remy 700 PSS or equivelant in .308 or 300mag. Not that ar's are not awesome guns but some things have certain purposes. I have both each has it s own job.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Get you an old winchester (pre '64), mauser or ruger and have a smith work it over.(mauser type actions)

Remington 700's are the bee's Knees also.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Why isn't RRA part of the poll instead of 'other'? RRA offers SS barrels which are tack drivers. I know, I own one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Vote - Other.

Although you can find accurate factory rifles, the odds of getting an accurate rifle increases as you move toward the custom shops. A good compromise would be the "factory custom."

I'd throw H-S Precision, Remington Custom, Accuracy International, etc, into this compromise group. Given your desires for sniper guns, I'd investigate H-S Precision.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top