Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2015 1:46:12 PM EST
I'm looking for something that will shoot .5 MOA with good ammo in a medium profile barrel. I'm prepared to spend as much as $600.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:27:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2015 3:36:00 PM EST by DSTRBD_ONE]
If it were my choice it would be a stainless steel 5R Bartlein Barrel. With that said, there is no "most accurate" barrel out there.... However there are some manufacturers that are more reputable and use higher quality steel than others. (Krieger, Lilja, JP, etc.... list can go on and on and on).
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:29:16 PM EST
I think you need to adjust your expectations. 600 is not going to cut it.

You may need to increase your budget by at least $1400 most likely more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:34:52 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DSTRBD_ONE:
My vote would be Bartlein Barrels, but there are numerous companies out in the wild that make incredible barrels.
View Quote

First one that popped in my head was Bartlein as well. I'd also consider Obermeyer, Lilja, Kreiger if I was buying a precision barrel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 4:34:04 PM EST
Get a Bartlein done by Precision Firearms. You will not be disappointed, unless you can't shoot AR10's well, and it is more difficult than most rifles.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:00:40 PM EST
all the above, I'll add Satern as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:04:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

View Quote

no
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:08:07 PM EST
There are plenty of excellent barrel manufacturers to choose from, and the differences in accuracy between them simply cannot be seen by most members on this forum. Go with any of the manufacturers named by the above posters and you will be happy.

I will say this. You could spend top dollar for the "best" barrel that will outshoot you, or you could spend less money on a "less accurate" barrel that will still outshoot you, and have money left over for a lot of match ammo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:16:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2015 8:18:33 PM EST by LBishop]
Originally Posted By Ultrastealth:
I'm looking for something that will shoot .5 MOA with good ammo in a medium profile barrel. I'm prepared to spend as much as $600.
View Quote

My DPMS 18'' fluted SASS barrel shoots .5MOA with good ammo and close to the same with average ammo. But it's not a smaller profile barrel. It's not crazy heavy either though(3.46lbs)

It's solid. The last time I was at the range I was shooting clothes pins with it off of the target frame. I use it for hog shooting and deer.

It didn't cost anywhere near $600. Brownells and Midway both have them on sale right now for $219, cheaper than what I paid for mine when I got it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:00:47 PM EST
RainierArms offers a Shilen barrel, 3lbs (proprietary medium contour), Ultramatch around $400. Not sure if it will meet your .5MOA guarantee. Their match series barrel guarantee sub MOA precision with match ammo. Not sure if their Ultrmatch offers anything more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:32:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2015 9:32:50 PM EST by Forest]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:59:11 PM EST
I had a 20 308 rainier arms ultramatch barrel. Shot it for 3 months, I'm not a precision shooter but I got a .443 moa 5 shot group at 100yd
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 4:54:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By jBoy723:

First one that popped in my head was Bartlein as well. I'd also consider Obermeyer, Lilja, Kreiger if I was buying a precision barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jBoy723:
My vote would be Bartlein Barrels, but there are numerous companies out in the wild that make incredible barrels.

mmmmmm this list right here.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:34:32 AM EST
I went ahead and ordered a Rainier Ultramatch 18" fluted. With their guarantee, it's pretty much a no brainer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 12:23:31 PM EST
I went ahead and ordered a Rainier Ultramatch 18" fluted. With their guarantee, it's pretty much a no brainer.
View Quote

I have heard good things about Rainiers Ultramatch line. They have a pocket change explanation of their capabilities...Ranier select barrels-quarter size groups, Match barrels-nickel size groups, and Ultramatch barrels-dime size groups. You shouldn't be disappointed and they have phenomenal customer service (when you can get a hold of them)
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 7:43:16 PM EST
FWIW, I have a Maten (6.5 Creedmoor) gasser that I just built and went with a RA 22" UltraMatch barrel. After a few fouling rounds I proceeded to shoot 3 - 3 shoot groups that measured 1/4" center to center with Hornady 140gr A Max ammo. Needless to say, I am extremely impressed with this barrel.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:25:08 AM EST
some barrel makers dont even make accuracy claims........To many variables.......and I understand their logic.....type of ammo used, optics, the shooter, etc, etc, etc, even how the barrel is cleaned can affect accuracy..........With that said, there are plenty of folks who turn out great barrels........at reasonable prices.........
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:32:48 AM EST
I have a Faxon 16" medium weight barrel I paid $225 for that shoots sub MOA. You realize at some point it just doesn't matter, too many variables and only a handful of shooters that can tell the difference anyway. No reason to spend more than $300.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:18:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By BB:

no
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BB:
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

no

I think he was talking about a complete rifle, not $600 for just the barrel as the OP intended.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:23:37 AM EST

I have heard good things about Rainiers Ultramatch line. They have a pocket change explanation of their capabilities...Ranier select barrels-quarter size groups, Match barrels-nickel size groups, and Ultramatch barrels-dime size groups. You shouldn't be disappointed and they have phenomenal customer service (when you can get a hold of them)
View All Quotes

This is the barrel I think I'm going to go with on my dpms. With my hand loads I can get three rounds to clover leaf but anything else is a 1.5-2moa and that's with match ammo. Not acceptable when this is supposed to be your long range precision gun and you don't have 10k rounds of hand loads loaded up.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:40:43 PM EST
OP, can you post pictures/aar when you get the barrel in and groupings?
Top Top