Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2004 12:52:34 AM EDT
I just bought my first rail system (Daniel Defense 7.0).   I need some rail covers.  

My goal is to add a Surefire light to the set up and a Magpul stock.

Right now I like the concept of the Tango Down with the pressure switch.  This will work well with the light, or so I believe (correct me if I'm wrong).

Aesthetically, I prefer the knight's in tan or OD color.   I simply prefer the way which it looks.  The TangoDown setup seems to be the least aesthetically pleasing design (although I have not seen one in person, just on the net).  

It would also be nice if the color of the panels matched my stock.  I want to end up with a MagPul stock in either OD green or Coyote Brown.   I can go with either one, if matching is an issue.

I would appreciate your insights into this dillemna.  It seems wise to ask before I spend any more of my money on what has become a very expensive project.

I am interested in durability, the ability to work with the light via a pressure switch, and aesthetics (in that order).
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:57:00 AM EDT
[#1]
KAC.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
KAC.

They are the standard that everyone works to.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:58:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
KAC.

Ok.  My only concern is the light.  How do I run the cord from the light to the vertical grip? Do I need to use tape to keep it in place?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:08:45 AM EDT
[#4]
PT,

I use a combination of Bushmaster and the ones that come with the DD 7.0 (they are the small 2" ones)

The BM panels are the full length one's and I use them on each side and the small ones in areas not taken by accessories

This avoiding to cut down panels for use, since any cutting will end up looking half-assed even with the steadiest hands

whether you choose the BM, Knights, or other ......get the ones made to fit

BTW: I ordered the Knights panels over two months ago, and haven't seen or heard shit from them, and in the interim- got the BM panels

dont know if that helps your dilemma ..........but there you go and the DD 7.0 is beautiful isnt it?

Theres a photo of the set up on page one of new no-ban photo thread (redfisher).....good shootin'
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
KAC.

Ok.  My only concern is the light.  How do I run the cord from the light to the vertical grip? Do I need to use tape to keep it in place?

That is one area where Tango Down has improved the product.  Their pocketed rail cover is something I'd like to try.  See below (pic from CMMG):

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it is all preference.

I had the KAC, but one feeling the Magpul XTs I use those.  I have not seen/felt the Tango Down panels yet.  

I do not have a pressure switch for a light so that does not weigh in on my option list.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#7]
A LaRue 7.0 with Tango Down rail covers is extremely comfortable. I haven't had a chance to examine KAC panels, but aside from aesthetic differences, how do they differ? As far as I can tell, TD can be placed anywhere, while KAC can only be placed on the ends. Admittedly, I don't think there would be many situations where that would be an issue. So what exactly makes KAC panels the reference standard?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I use only KAC and Magpul. Both have their strong and weak points.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A LaRue 7.0 with Tango Down rail covers is extremely comfortable. I haven't had a chance to examine KAC panels, but aside from aesthetic differences, how do they differ? As far as I can tell, TD can be placed anywhere, while KAC can only be placed on the ends. Admittedly, I don't think there would be many situations where that would be an issue. So what exactly makes KAC panels the reference standard?

KAC panels can be placed anywhere. Its kind of a bear though. I prefer the aesthetics, and they function perfectly for my needs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that I will give the TangoDown panels a try.  

How does OD TangoDown match up with a Magpul stock?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the KAC panels and they work well enough for their purpose, but everytime I replace a panel with one that didn't come with the rail, it's loose.  Without hijacking this thread, does anyone know how to fix this?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Zip ties.  Make sure to take up any slack so that your cord doesn't hook onto anything.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#13]

any cutting will end up looking half-assed even with the steadiest hands

I have used an X-acto and Dremel on KAC panels to shorten them.

The results look "factory".
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Word to KAC. What else do your really need?

Quoted:

I use a mini-bandsaw and a file. The plastic is very easy to cut and manipulate,
and the finished job doesn't come out looking "ghetto" or 50% ass-crack(Half-assed)at all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Word to KAC. What else do your really need?

Quoted:

I use a mini-bandsaw and a file. The plastic is very easy to cut and manipulate,
and the finished job doesn't come out looking "ghetto" or 50% ass-crack(Half-assed)at all.

It is easy to cut down the KAC panels all I used was a hacksaw, fine file and very fine sand paper.  All you need to do is take your time and do not rush it.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top