Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2005 6:51:35 AM EDT
I have picked up several LMT lowers over the past 6-8 months. Some of these look pretty rough as to external appearance. Wondering if LMT makes any cast rec's?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure all LMT's are forged. I can't think of any companies that still produce cast AR lowers now that I think about it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't that Piece of shit "Plinker" from SPECIAL Olympic arms cast?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#4]
A DPMS cast receiver is still being sold at Brownells.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#5]
oly
essential arms
dpms
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
oly
essential arms
dpms

+1  Only ones I can think of.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Early HESSE lowers were cast.
Also National Ordnance lowers were cast.
Some Dalphon lowers were cast also. I was told some of the ones Olympic made for Dalphon were cast and some were forged. Later Dalphons were made by Mega Machine and were forged.

If you look at the tacked lower thread the early DPMS, one early EA CO (the center one), a  National Ordnance, and a Hesse lower are examples of cast lowers. The Dalphon is an Olympic made forged lower.  I sent the pictures in.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. I didn't think LMT made a cast rec but they are a little rough externally.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
if you have to ask, you probably havent seen one before. most of the cast lowers i have seen had raised lettering. indicated that the logo's were cast into the piece instead of machined or rollmarked.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
LMT's shouldn't be cast. DPMS and Olympic used to offer cast receivers, but no longer do. Even the plinker uses a forging now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. I didn't think LMT made a cast rec but they are a little rough externally.

Yes, forged lowers do tend to look a little rough externally, that's normal, and makes sense if you understand the forging process.

Essentially you pound a piece of metal that's red hot until it's into a rough shape of a lower, then you cut off the excess.  This is why they look rough.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#12]
DPMS hasn't made one in almost a year
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#13]
 I believe Essential Arms is still making cast last time I called them, but I think they have recently "as in the last few months" started making forged lowers.  I am not sure that they have continued to make the cast as well as the NEW forged. I purchased my cast lower from them six or eight months ago and I have had no problems with it to date. The surface finish and smoothness inside and out is a lot better than my DPMS forged lower. It looks really good after I finished it in molyresin along with my upper. I would buy another with no hesitation. Also the guy that I spoke to on the phone prior to having my FFL order the reciever was very cool. I got one of thier CAR aluminum stocks and it has been great also.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
 I believe Essential Arms is still making cast last time I called them, but I think they have recently "as in the last few months" started making forged lowers.  I am not sure that they have continued to make the cast as well as the NEW forged. I purchased my cast lower from them six or eight months ago and I have had no problems with it to date. The surface finish and smoothness inside and out is a lot better than my DPMS forged lower. It looks really good after I finished it in molyresin along with my upper. I would buy another with no hesitation. Also the guy that I spoke to on the phone prior to having my FFL order the reciever was very cool. I got one of thier CAR aluminum stocks and it has been great also.

Essential Arms still has investment cast aluminum receivers on their web page.  They do not list any forged receivers, although they do have cast steel receivers which they recommend for .50 BMG and "heavy match" builds.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top