Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2011 6:36:39 AM EDT
Hello Everyone, I just put together a nice  AR-15 in 6.8 cal. I installed a PRI quiet muzzle brake thinking it would be somewhat not as noisy as others I have tried, I took it out yesterday and I shot it once without hearing protection, WOOOOOOOW, my ears are still ringing today,I want to use this rifle for hunting and I won't have any hearing protection on during hunting.
My question, does anybody make either a flash hider or brake that it won't blow my ears out for the 6.8?

Thanks
kenner
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything that reduces the decibel of your gun would be considered a supresser. Only thing brakes/fh/comps do is direct the noise in diff directions so it can sound louder depending were ur located
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Hello eric10mm, I can't open the picture.
Thanks
kenner
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hello eric10mm, I can't open the picture.
Thanks
kenner

Given that this is the URL "http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif" you haven't missed anything.  See the first responder above.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#7]
If I understand this right there is no such brake or hider that is quiet except a supressor,  OK, If I were to install a std. birdcage flashider then it should offer a quieter shooting rifle than it is now , correct? I'm trying to figure out a way to use this rifle for hunting not wearing hearing protection, I can take shooting a normal deer rifle without hearing protection, but this 6.8 is way over the top, If I can't quiet this thing down without a surpressor I think it's going down the road.
Thanks
kenner
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I would look at something in a linear design.
These don't reduce noise but direct it away from the shooter.

If it were me I would contact a shop like AR Performance and quiz them...they do 6.8 and offer a good assortment of MD's
http://www.ar15performance.com/muzzle_devices
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Try looking into something like this:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=kx368762&cat=141&page=1&search=&since=&status=

I have a Levang on one of my 5.56 AR's and it works as advertised:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=524840

Basically, they don't reduce the sound, they just redirect it downrange.

There are others as well:

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/muzzle-device-spikes-tactical-adjustable-break-556-p-303.html

Make sure you get one that can handle a 6.8

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I understand this right there is no such brake or hider that is quiet except a supressor,  OK, If I were to install a std. birdcage flashider then it should offer a quieter shooting rifle than it is now , correct? I'm trying to figure out a way to use this rifle for hunting not wearing hearing protection, I can take shooting a normal deer rifle without hearing protection, but this 6.8 is way over the top, If I can't quiet this thing down without a surpressor I think it's going down the road.
Thanks
kenner

the standard A2 isnt any louder than any other brake/comp. the only diff is the way they direct the sound, so while it may seem louder the actual decibels dont change any(well maybe slightly, 1 or 2db).
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Gemtech
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#13]
The quietest thing you can do for the shooter is use nothing or the Troy Claymore/DPMS Levang comps.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The only quiet muzzle brake is a suppressor.

This. Guns are loud.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a good set of electronic hearing protectors, they don't stay on your head very well in thick brush or crawling thru a thick swamp.
I live in a state where a surpressor is not legal, so that option is out, from what I can tell this rifle is going to be a painfull thing to shoot without hearing protection.

Thanks
kenner
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I've heard people say that potato is a good way to silence a muzzle, but i've always called hogwash.  I've noticed the KX3 on my pistol set-up seems quieter than any of my other ARs, but Noveske states that it is intended for short barrels.  I'm not sure what kind of degradation of performance you'd experience with it on a longer barrel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've heard people say that potato is a good way to silence a muzzle, but i've always called hogwash.
 I've noticed the KX3 on my pistol set-up seems quieter than any of my other ARs, but Noveske states that it is intended for short barrels.  I'm not sure what kind of degradation of performance you'd experience with it on a longer barrel.

Anything used to attenuate the sound of a firearm must be registered with the ATF, or it is illegal, tuber or not. I'm pretty sure a potato would explode, fuck up your POI, and not do a damn thing to quiet anything down.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you do not already, you should own a good set of electronic hearing protection muffs from such mfrs as Peltor, Radian, ProEars, Walker, etc.  With them you can hear both better & further and have hearing protection.  It's a win-win!    

you obviously don't  hunt
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a Troy Claymore on my 7.5" AR pistol and it does a great job of pushing the blast away from me. It's still loud as heck but then again it's a darn short barrel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you do not already, you should own a good set of electronic hearing protection muffs from such mfrs as Peltor, Radian, ProEars, Walker, etc.  With them you can hear both better & further and have hearing protection.  It's a win-win!    

you obviously don't  hunt

People hunt in different ways. You may hunt in a manner that precludes wearing muffs. Don't assume everyone else does as well. I could very easily wear muffs, electronic or not, when I hunt, and have no problems filling my freezer. I do not, as I have never felt the need while taking single shots in the woods, and I don't notice my ears ringing afterwards, but that may be adrenaline's effect. I may try some quality electronic muffs this year.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Keep some hearing protection around your neck something that's easy to work with one hand ,you know when your about to take a shot pop it in right before. Practice putting it in while holding your gun ,your going to be out of 2 seconds its not like your being hunted you should have time.
I use the same kind as the guy in this video  

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=XtWAC4vL1GI

But then again hearing aids are getting very small
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Point being, some compensators and brakes will direct a lot of gas to the sides and up. So goes the noise, and they get much louder to the shooter and those beside them.

The linears push it all out front. It's the best compromise short of a suppressor. Look at the decibel table here: http://www.ar15performance.com/muzzle_devices?b=1

I bought a Black River Tactical for my 6.8, the ITS 4X4 tunable was reputedly the better but is now no longer offered that way. Maybe it crossed the line. The BATF is strict that any reduction makes it a suppressor. In MO, they are legal to possess and use hunting, haven't found the Vltor Volks for $400 like promised at SHOT 2010, and haven't applied to make one, either. But, I could, paperwork in order, and spend less than $30. Even at $3000, you'd still hear the action cycling just like charging the weapon, they don't really silence a gun anyway.

ALL firearms in a caliber appropriate for deer hunting will ring your ears, no matter what. Even a  .22. or fireworks will do it, no sense tossing the 6.8 for what 20+ grains of gunpowder will do regardless. If you're hunting, it's just one or two shots. I've gotten more hearing damage from a day's worth of non-lethal projectile training, not wearing plugs is a collectively abusive choice I've grown to regret.

Sorry, had to wave off those mosquitoes again. They sure disappear fast, my wife swears I'm just hearing something.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top