Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2006 8:05:29 AM EDT
Hi all,

I'm looking at picking up a new lower. I was initially going to go with a complete DPMS lower, but
I've been hearing worrying things about quality. I was also looking at possibly picking up a Les Baer lower.
I like the black teflon coating that DPMS puts on their lowers. Does anyone else do this?

Can anyone recommend a good, quality lower receiver? I'm looking for new, and not a Colt.

Thanks.

Sam
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Eagle Arms, Stag, Larue/LMT, Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS and lots of others.  You should be able to get a good stripped lower for arounf $100.  You can pay more for a high-end brand name or a finish you like or pretty roll marks, but you won't be anything functionally better for the extra money (unless it's a registered machine gun lower).
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I realize that there's not a lot of difference in lower receivers. They are, after all, just chunks of
machined aluminum. I guess what I'm after is: Which current manufacturer is currently the least
likely to produce an out of spec receiver? And, what manufacturers, other than DPMS, use a teflon
coating or other surface treatment to create a BLACK surface. Thanks. B-)

Sam
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hi all,

I'm looking at picking up a new lower. I was initially going to go with a complete DPMS lower, but
I've been hearing worrying things about quality. I was also looking at possibly picking up a Les Baer lower.
I like the black teflon coating that DPMS puts on their lowers. Does anyone else do this?

Can anyone recommend a good, quality lower receiver? I'm looking for new, and not a Colt.

Thanks.

Sam

what caliber. whats it to be used for, range/sighting-in or just comptition. ? good for what
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Mostly plinking, but it may be pulled for home defense duty. I don't need anything fancy ( as if
there's much fancy in the way of lower receivers ), I just want my upper to fit and for all the
small parts to fit.

Sam
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Basically choose the one in your price range and pick your favorite roll stamp design (most will probably agree with the exception of Hesse or Vulcan).  Costwise Stag, Essential Arms, Mega, and Stinger (probably leaving out a few).  
My preferences are Global Tactical, RRA, Mega.  ymmv
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#7]
you can't go wrong with Rock River or Bushmaster - if I were you I'd stick with one of those (or maybe a Stag)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#8]
My absolute favorite is Rock River.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#9]
me too, rock river all the way
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
a lower is just a lower.

i like dpms

along with

bushmaster
doublestar
mega
gts
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
You can get a Spike's Tactical lower for $100 stripped, it's dark black(telon).
the lowers are made by LAR (who by the way make Bushmaster and DPMS lowers for them)
contact info is www.spikestactical.com  or direct call to 407- 928 - 2666
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]
CMT - Stag - GTS
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
LAR, CMT, MEGA are all good lower manufacturers.  Just find one that fits your wallet.  MEGA lowers have the teflon finish and run @ $90.  I just sent away for a pair of High Standard lowers at @ $95 each.  These are made by CMT.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
LAR, CMT, MEGA are all good lower manufacturers.  Just find one that fits your wallet.  MEGA lowers have the teflon finish and run @ $90.  I just sent away for a pair of High Standard lowers at @ $95 each.  These are made by CMT.

+ 1 for the High Standard. Got one yesterday from Lone Star Wholesale and liked it so much I ordered another one today.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Been trying to get a hold of Clinton Carrico to order a Mega receiver for over a week now.  No returned e-mails and voicemailbox is full?

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Mostly plinking, but it may be pulled for home defense duty. I don't need anything fancy ( as if
there's much fancy in the way of lower receivers ), I just want my upper to fit and for all the
small parts to fit.

Sam

OK rock river is best & fits your upper perfect. What upper do you have.?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
a lower is just a lower.

wrong
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#18]
as long its a reputable quality, FORGED, aluminum, in spec reciever it should work fine

best bang lowers for the $$$$:
Stag, Mega (+1 for CarricozArmory and mr clinton, but its been a while for me), RBPresision
others that are a tad more:
RRA
DPMS

any one should work fine, just depends on the shade and logo

avoid cast ones (DPMS use to make em)--avoid anything cast

cav arms' polymers are pretty reputable too
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#19]
1: GTS  
2: stag
3: RRA
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#20]
CMT, Rock River...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
a lower is just a lower.

wrong

please explain any functional difference in all the lowers that are offered today.

other than non-functional stuff like finish/color/pin size or rear shelf since that can be machined.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#22]
the easy question is who doesnt make a good lower
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:54:20 AM EDT
[#23]
RRA makes a great lower. For fit finish and $$$ I do not think you can go wrong
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
a lower is just a lower.

wrong

please explain any functional difference in all the lowers that are offered today.

other than non-functional stuff like finish/color/pin size or rear shelf since that can be machined.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=268037
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Right

You should be asking what shouldnt I buy, not what should I buy.

Right now on my list of dont buys is anything made by Superior Arms and anything made by Vulcan/Hesse.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
a lower is just a lower.

wrong

those are blemished lowers and are stated so. basically lowers that dont pass qc sold for cheap to those dumb enough to buy them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
a lower is just a lower.

wrong

those are blemished lowers and are stated so. basically lowers that dont pass qc sold for cheap to those dumb enough to buy them.

The first post is about the blem lowers, blem lowers that were only supposed to be finish blems.  Then people start posting about the regular lowers.  In other posts people have talked about those lowers.  As long as the plans have been out for a lower, people can still screw it up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#28]
My upper is a DPMS dissy style upper. !6" heavy barrel with standard length handguards. I was going
to go with a DPMS lower, and may still, but I've read a bit lately about DPMS's quality control slipping.
Things like holes drilled out of alignment, too high, too low, not round, too small, etc. I have to say
that I'm pretty happy with my other DPMS lower and upper receivers.... I'm kinda thinking about picking
up one of the high standard lowers. As you can see, I'm still basically undecided... I guesss I mostly
wanted to see if DPMS was slipping down onto the list with Hesse and Vulcan..

Sam
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Stag Arms!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#30]
+1 on Stag but good luck finding one right now. I live where they make them and I can't get one. Sold out everywhere and no delivery in sight. They have too many wholesale customers with big projects to be able to support the retail market right now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#31]
2 Ameetec's used with DPMS lpk's with no problems at all. Great parkerized finish and no burrs in any holes. $100.00 bucks each.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
+1 on Stag but good luck finding one right now. I live where they make them and I can't get one. Sold out everywhere and no delivery in sight. They have too many wholesale customers with big projects to be able to support the retail market right now.

dennysguns is offering "stag" built recievers without the deer head and different markings.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dennysguns is offering "stag" built recievers without the deer head and different markings.

Sneaky.......
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#34]
screw the color match requirement.

I recommend MEGA lowers...you can get MEGA uppers as well, but if you are one to worry about color matching...build the complete weapon, then have it refinished.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I have both Stag and RRA.  They are both good quality.  You can't go wrong with either one.  Like some have said, good luck finding the Stag lowers.  Oh well, I have my three stripped lowers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:02:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

That's easy.

Vulcan/Hesse
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top