Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/2/2005 8:03:19 AM EDT
I am thinking of getting Trijicon Reflex to mount on a RRA Tactical care handle. What the opinion on the Reflex sights and attaching it to a Tactical care handle?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I love mine. Bought it in 2001. I got it for a steal from a gun shop employee friend. He bought it and never shot with it. I got a few rail mounts, plus all the extras including filter for about $75 less than wholesale.

Washout? Use the filter. It's variable as to tint. No batteries and real solid and built to last.

To each his own, but I like mine because I don't really like red dots much.

I've been eyeing an EOTech for a while to be used on another build, but I'll never get rid of my Reflex.

Best advice, try one out for a while before you listen to all the naysayer hype. There are a lot of people who hate them here. I doubt most of them even shot with one, just looked at them in a shop.

Make your own decision as to what is right for you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't mount anything on the RRA Tactical Carry handle.  Only optic that can cowitness with it is the Aimpoint using the factory SHITTY mount.  The handle makes things way too hight.  I use mine for a ginormous and heavy BUIS.  I will be repleace with something else when I get around to it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#4]
When I first started shopping around for a "dot" reflex-type scope the Trijicon was top on my list. Right up until I actually handled one at a store and saw just how much the dot gets washed out. That pretty much ended the debate for me.

Definitely look at all of your options and make sure it's what you need for what you plan on doing with the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#5]
My brother had a Reflex on his duty gun for about a month.  The front face broke off, and he doesn't use it that hard.  He has an ACOG now.  I stick to the Aimpoint, but may try an ACOG soon.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
The Reflex is an OK sight (I had one for years before I sold mine).  I always like the triangle reticlue of the Reflex II, but the dot on the original 6.5moa refex always seemed brighter (day & night).  For the money you're much better off with a EOTech 512.  

If you really want batteryless, take a look at the Compact ACOG line.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Duchman,

In the deal I listed above, I also got a "calvary mount"  to mount to a carry handle but puts the sight down right above the front hand guard so you can co-witness. Not sure I have a picture of it, but I'll look, and post it if I do. The mount was really solid and I used it for almost a year before I rebuilt the rifle with a flat top.

I have that mount and I am thinking about selling it. If interested, I'll dig it up. It's still in really good condition.

If you use the polarized filter, washout is not an issue. You will love not having to replace batteries and it is constantly "on" day or night. It has no switches to fumble with and it transitions from daylight to darkness really well. No settings to adjust for brightness, do you don't get red "flare" if you go from light to dark.

Do some research. You really won't get a good feel for it if you just get to finger it in the shop. It's not a fair test. Florescent lights play hell with the amber triangle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am thinking of getting Trijicon Reflex to mount on a RRA Tactical care handle. What the opinion on the Reflex sights and attaching it to a Tactical care handle?

Best advice I can give here is no matter what sight you are going with - sell the so-called 'tactical carry handle' (it's neither), and buy a real Back Up Iron Sight (BUIS) like the Troy, LMT, ARMS, or LaRue.  Then mount the optic to the flattop.

I'd suggest the LaRue Reflex mount - but they don't seem to be in production.  The standard Trijicon RX-14 flattop mount works fairly well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input guys
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If you use the polarized filter , washout is not an issue. You will love not having to replace batteries and it is constantly "on" day or night. It has no switches to fumble with and it transitions from daylight to darkness really well. No settings to adjust for brightness, do you don't get red "flare" if you go from light to dark.

It's a fantastic sight. Period. However, it's essential to use the polarizer. With a twist of the ring you can darken the lens and you have instant contrast, NO WASHOUT. You simply put the dot on target and fire. If you want to hit man sized targets and not worry about power source, go with the Reflex. Like anything, it takes getting used to.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Just for the heck of it...

So is it safe to say the Trijicon Tri-power never really got much of a following?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So is it safe to say the Trijicon Tri-power never really got much of a following?

Good concept, less than optimally executed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good concept, less than optimally executed.

That's why they pulled it off the market, redesigned it and will be rereleasing it in a month or so.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Reflex II with an amber triangular rectical and really enjoy it.  As others have stated, the polarizing filter is pretty much a must and I haven't had any owner's remorse for purchasing this optic.

I currently have the Scout Mount, which cantilevers the optic out over the handguards of my CAR-15.  While I really like co-witness sighting strategies, I really hate the scout mount since it seems to be a bit flimsy and easy to catch on things.

I am currently in the process of converting my CAR over to a flat-top and am trying to determing the best mount to use for my Reflex II and BUIS as well.  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Looked at one at the store today and hated the washout. And it was brand new on the shelf.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven't had much of a problem with washout with mine.

I have a Reflex, and 2 EOTech's.  I think you're better off, money and performance wise going with a EOTech for a working gun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
would be better mounted to the flattop, still tend to wash out in bright light even with the recent improvements, reticle isn't well defined, nearly bomb proof, like the no switches or batteries aspect

Slap on the POLARIZER and it'll never washout.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Reflex NSN that I have used for quite some time now.  I had never mounted a weapon light to it and thought that I would try with one of my Surefires before I bought a new weapon light (to check about wash).  Well, I was kind of disapointed.  There was quite a bit of wash, well, nearly all of the dot was gone in a dark room using my Surefire Centurion, and that was with a filter.  So, needless to say, I am holding off on my new weaponlight because I just got my new EOTech 511 mounted and sighted in today.  If it wouldn't have been for the wash with the light, I would still be using my Reflex, I really liked it.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 5:35:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Our dept. uses them on our issue colts.  They are on a gooseneck for the carry handle.  The filter does make the sight 100% better but it still has it's limitations.  If you turn the filter as dark as it can go you can barely see through it but the dot never washes out.  If you shoot with both eyes open I suppose it would not be a factor though.  If you turn the filter so it's not so dark it will wash the dot out at night when activating the light on the gun.  We purchased them because most of the guys at the dept. are not gun guys and didn't like the thought of having to turn something on before shooting, and also they were concerned about them being left on and the batteries always being dead.  They work alright and are definately better than irons for most of our guys.  One thing I noticed at the last range trip was that the filter turned from light to dark while I was shooting my qualification course, I shoot with both eyes open so it really didn't matter.  Luckily I didn't need to use the irons though because I never would have seen them at that point.
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

sounds like a prescription for iron sights if I ever heard one.

But the triangle is quicker to pick up than iron sights. Ask me how I know. I spent 4 years behind the sights of an M16A1 in everything from bright sunlight desert conditions to darkened rooms at 3 am. I had to constantly blow sleet from my front sight post to complete my 40/40 perfect qual at Benning in the winter. I even had a trial "night sight" tritium insert in some of the rifles I was issued.

Some people like red dots, some don't. If you don't like the Reflex II, get over the pain and move on.

As I said in my previous post, fingering it at the counter of the gun shop for a few minutes isn't a good and fair trial of the sight. Denegrating something you have no experience in, well, it's your opinion. An opinion which a person has zero experience in. If you had it for a month then tell me you hate it, I could appreciate it and understand your opinion. Without experience, it's your biased, baseless opinion.

To each his own. I'm getting over the pain and moving on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
would be better mounted to the flattop, still tend to wash out in bright light even with the recent improvements, reticle isn't well defined, nearly bomb proof, like the no switches or batteries aspect

Slap on the POLARIZER and it'll never washout.

The polarizing filter sucks IMIHO (plastic and easily broken).

C4

But it works. The issue described was that it washes out in bright light....the solution is the filter. You twist the filter and viola, there's the ret. As to whether it's structurally sound is a different matter. Frankly, I like the sight and have no issues with it. Without the filter I wouldn't want to use it.

I guess like any sight it requires dedication and training to become really profcient.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you had it for a month then tell me you hate it,

It sat on my carry rifle for over a year. I don't hate inanimate objects, that's so Dark Ages.

I'll stick with my Aimpoints thank you.

Link Posted: 10/31/2005 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Question for you. As you move in and out of diff. lighting conditions, do you want to be adjusting the filter??

C4

Personally myself, I keep both eyes open so it isn't an issue for me. You get the same problem with flare up with a red dot. Bright daylight requires brighter dot. Go inside and you get nothing but red flare in the sight picture.

What's your point?
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, after swapping out my Reflex NSN for an EOTech 511, all I can say is, at least my Trijicon sat square on my receiver.  This new EOTech leans over to the left so much, it is getting pretty annoying.he
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#34]
 I leave my polerized filter set in the brightest position and have no problems moving between light conditions. Reflex reticle automatically adjusts itself for brightness hence no reason to call a " Time out " so you can play with your Aimpoint brightness settting because you had it too low and the DOT disappeared when you wen't outside or the sun came out from behind a cloud.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I sold my reflex and got an EoTech and like it alot better

My $.02
Bryon
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Going from inside to outside you would be able to use the power setting you were own IMHO. The Relfex however would need adjusting. I am a LONG time Reflex owner and am FULLY aware of its limitations.

Another question for you. When you were inside and ran into a wall and broke your polarizing filter and transitioned outside what do you do then?

C4

C4,

I'm not trying to split hairs with you or imply you don't know what you are talking about. Obviously you do. It was never my intent. I do appreciate your experience with them.

I took a Gunsite carbine course with mine and I didn't have an issue with it. I got down in the dirt a lot with it. I also use my rifle as a demo rifle for slings I make. Gets bumped and banged on the tables a bunch.

I also lent my Colt to a buddy who ran through a 2 day course with Glendale, AZ SWAT for training. He beat and banged it up some, but didn't break anything on it. It was probably my luck. I know the polarizer is the weak link in the design. The Glendale guys all had Aimpoints, EOTech and OKO's.

If the Maricopa Sheriff's Office authorizes optics, I'll be using it on duty. If not, I'll be using my detachable carry handle and good old iron sights. No biggie really. Irons worked for me before.

I'm certainly not trying to get converts for the Reflex. As I stated before, some like them, some don't. I've had Aimpoint red dots before dating back to the 5000 model. I don't like red dots and sold off an OKO for the Reflex. Although, the EOTech does look interesting.......
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 5:31:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I like them. They get a bad rap because they are "old" and not super uber cool. They are fairly inexpensive, especially used - you can find them cheap enough to where the are a bit more than new oko or aimpoint "clones"  - and you get a quaility product with the reflex. Want a sight for a shtf or survialist scenario ? - in 5 years of that crap guess who's aimpoints and eotechs will still be going stong - not many, even with the great battery life - how many batteries do you need stored up to have a sight on and ready all that time.? It's always on, no buttons to push to get ready. The acogs are superior optics for sure, but a lot of people can't afford them. People complain about "washing out" of the reticle - shoot with your irons right through the reflex window if this ever happens - I have never personally seen it. They are as fast for me to shoot as a aimpoint or eotech - I prefer the reflex II's (they are quite , quite a bit better than older reflexes) with the triangle reticle.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I have used the Aimpoint, EOtech and Reflex. The Aimpoint and EOtech are better sights.

in 5 years of that crap guess who's aimpoints and eotechs will still be going stong - not many, even with the great battery life - how many batteries do you need stored up to have a sight on and ready all that time.?

There are 8,760 hours in a year. The Aimpoint Comp M2 had a 10,000 hour battery life. The Aimpoint Comp M3 has something like 50k hours IIRC. So it looks like anyone with 5 batteries stored up will still be going strong.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I like my Reflex NSN and after getting this PIECE OF CRAP EOTech, I just might go back to it until I can afford an Aimpoint.  At least the Reflex sits level on my rifle.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I have used the Aimpoint, EOtech and Reflex. The Aimpoint and EOtech are better sights.

in 5 years of that crap guess who's aimpoints and eotechs will still be going stong - not many, even with the great battery life - how many batteries do you need stored up to have a sight on and ready all that time.?

There are 8,760 hours in a year. The Aimpoint Comp M2 had a 10,000 hour battery life. The Aimpoint Comp M3 has something like 50k hours IIRC. So it looks like anyone with 5 batteries stored up will still be going strong.

first, aimpoint's battery life is not as advertised - I know from personal experience - second, there is a lot that can go wrong with any electronic device besides battery failure.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I had one for a brief time.  I did not find it usable in bright light (outdoors or inside with a light).  It's nice that it doesn't take batteries, but I'd trade that for a reticle that's always visible any day!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#45]
from Kavik

first, aimpoint's battery life is not as advertised - I know from personal experience - second, there is a lot that can go wrong with any electronic device besides battery failure.

Oh Puhleeese, not this again, then stop driving your car.

The reflex was a good concept, but it's just not that popular for a very good reason, it's washes out. the Dot or triangle is just not that bright in all situations, even with the Filter. And  the issue is you never know which situation you will be in when it does wash out.  The battery argument is lame, and old

from Boom

The reflex is a great optic for any shooter on a tight budget. If you learn to use it, it will give you many years of trouble free use.

Their are other optics that are better for that price range, some of the early model EOTechs and now some of the newer Burris redot sights.0Actually I looked and Wholly Crap, they want like over $300 for one, how is that a GREAT OPTIC on a tight budget???)

The reflex sights were first included int he SOPMOD kits for the Military, but over time they were quickly replaced by the Aimpoints and now EOTechs. Theirs a reason for that...

No the Reflex sights are not POS's and the guys who run them are not stupid, there are just better options available now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

OK, let's say Aimpoint overstated the battery life considerably and your battery will only last 1/3 as long as they claim. You now need 15 batteries for the Comp M2 or 3 batteries for the Comp M3.

A lot can go wrong with optical devices in general. The vial that holds the tritium gas can break. External elevation and windage adjustments can get jammed. The glass can crack or the polarizing filter break.The dot projector can get water or debris in front of it. You can search the archives for issues that have cropped up with the Reflex. All sights make compromises somewhere - I can live better with the compromises made by the Aimpoint and EOtech.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Everyone has different personal experiences- my reflex II and acogs have never not functioned or worked, while other people say their's have broken. My aimpoint has mysteriously not turned on, then shown up with dead batteries, both of which give you a very bad feeling in the pit of your stomach when you think you might have pulled the rifle out to go to immediate action. After that occurance I make sure I have at least one reflex II or acog available at all times, even while I still run an  aimpoint on one setup, as they do have their positives.  Most others who I talk to have never had any problems with aimpoints  -
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#49]

You don't see many Aimpoints or EOs in that price range.

OK, I'll give ya that one.....  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#50]
anyone using the Reflex with the handle drop in mount?  if so, can you post a pic?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top