Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2003 9:11:58 PM EDT
For years I've fed exclusively LC XM193 and Q3131A thru my ARs. I've come across PMP at local funshows for 140 for 1K. How does it shoot? Reliable range ammo?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
if its the stuff in the brown battle packs its awsome ! ive prob used 1500 rounds of it....cant say on the commercial pmp as i havnt used it...
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I just traded 520 rounds of it to a guy who shoots DCM for a butt load of 6.5 X 55 Norma ammo and brass.

He wanted it for practice ammo, but though so highly of it that was willing to really get screwed in the trade to get ahold of it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I've fired several hundred rounds of it without any problems. Great stuff, but doesn't seem as hot as the military SA ammo.

$140 for 1k is a steal...
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:35:28 AM EDT
[#4]
It is great practice/plinking ammo, and it is fairly accurate for FMJ.

SEND THE BRASS TO ME when you are done shooting!  Seriously, the once fired brass is great, and since the ammo is cheap to begin with, spread the costs over several reloads for even more savings!
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:16:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I love the stuff.  Pretty accurate, great brass and cheap, too.  I haven't used the SA surplus, but the PMP shoots great.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.
Seems like this stuff has a pretty good reputation. I think I'll pick up a case. Anyone else have any experiences/comments?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I've run probably 2000 rounds throug my semi's and couldn't be happier with it's reliability.  I haven't shot it for accuracy though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
There are the military surplus South African Battle packs that are 300 round sealed plastic bags.  There is also the commercial PMP South African ammo that comes in 20 round boxes with a gazelle pictured on the box.

Both kinds ammo are made by PMP.  Both are good ammo.  The surplus battle packs are loaded to military specs and are Berdan primed (not reloadable).  The commercial stuff is not loaded as hot as the surplus battle packs, but it is Boxer primed (reloadable).

I've shot both.  I've shot 1000 rounds of the commercial PMP and 2700 of the surplus.  I prefer the ammo that is loaded to military specs (M193) and would buy more of the battle packs if I could find them at a good price.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Both kinds ammo are made by PMP.  Both are good ammo.  The surplus battle packs are loaded to military specs and are Berdan primed (not reloadable).  The commercial stuff is not loaded as hot as the surplus battle packs, but it is Boxer primed (reloadable).
View Quote

They must have made some boxer primed military ammo too.  I just tried to reload some range cases and found that the primers were crimped on these boxer primed cases.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone order the PMP ammo from Century Arms (http://www.centuryarms.com/store)?  Their prices seem good, and I was wondering how their service was.  Is there anywhere else that has it for a good price?

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone order the PMP ammo from Century Arms (http://www.centuryarms.com/store)?  Their prices seem good, and I was wondering how their service was.  Is there anywhere else that has it for a good price?

Ghost
View Quote

That's where I get mine; good service.  
Notice that there is a minimum $75 order, the 500 pack is $72.
Notice also that the shipping is flat rate $12.50, no matter how much crap you have shipped.

In other words, buy the thousand.  Look around for other stuff you might like; they have good stuff and some crap.
Their HotShot ammo is good, same as Igman.

Larry
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm, that PMP ammo is starting to sound like a great deal for plinking ammo.  $156.50/1000 delivered is honking.  I used to get Georgia Arms reloads for around $140/1000 with tax in an ammo can at shows, but now they are like $150 plus tax.  Too bad I just ordered some Federal XM193 from Wholesalehunter.com.  Now I'm gonna have to wait for the next paycheck to order plinking rounds.  

Thanks for the input.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#13]
good stuff, over 600 rounds of it through my AR
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top