Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2009 10:31:52 AM EDT
I have a design I would like to engrave on my Anvil Arms lower.  I have the .cdr file for the laser engraving machine, I just need a company to do it.

I emailed Jon at Anvil Arms to set it up, but haven't heard back.  I emailed him once three weeks ago and once two weeks ago with the .cdr file attached and asked if I needed an authorization number for the work service form I would send with the lower (His website instructions request a work service order and there is a spot for an authorization number on the form).  Jon is a great guy and I'm know he's busy.  I talked to Jon several times in late 2007 when I ordered the lowers and had been very pleased with his customer service.  Now, I just need someone who will engrave my lower and return emails in a timely manner.  I tried to call, but no one answers the phone.  I looked the number up on whitepages since nothing comes up under contact info on his site.

I emailed Fidelis Arms twice over 6 weeks ago (once through their site, and once through arfcom) and they have never emailed me back.  It'll be a cold day in hell before I give them any business...but if they're so busy they're over 6 weeks behind on email, they must not need my business.

SO, does anyone have a reputable company they would recommend for custom laser engraving a stripped AR15 lower?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#1]
These folks do good work, they've done all my SBR engravings

http://www.orion-arms.com/
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, thanks for the reply.  I emailed Orion Arms and had a reply within the hour...very nice customer service!  Unfortunately, they want $155.00 ($65 set up fee, $75 engraving fee, $15 shipping fee) to engrave the lower.  Not quite the price range I was looking for.

I appreciate the reply.  Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Take it to a local engraver that does laser engraving.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
These guys do good work.

http://www.identmarking.com/
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe try Kevin Rich, owner of Black Dog Machine, LLC. They make the great mags for 22 LR conversions, but the card I received with my order today also states Laser Engraving Services.

Paul

Link Posted: 12/3/2009 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quentin Laser out of arizona (gilbert, AZ maybe?) did mine. Did a great job, and mine was well under 50$.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I too am interested on other options besides Anvil Arms.

I sent a receiver in for engraving and now I can't get any email replies and their web site is missing a great deal of content that used to be there including contact information.

I don't know what is going on there, folks are asking the same question in the industry section too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Near Abilene Tx i used this guy and he doe's it by hand.For First name, middle initial,last name and city state was $50
http://www.ottocarter.com/engraving.html
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Spike's Tactical will do it for ya either on the left side of their "no logo" lower, or on the right side of one of their standard lowers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow!  Thanks for all the great ideas guys.  I sent emails to Quentin Laser and Simmons Law Enforcement before I came back to check this thread.

I'll email the other companies listed above as well.

Thanks again for all your input.

BTW  docmcb  -  I too noticed all of Anvil Arms' FAQ and Contact Info pages are gone.  Jon was a reputable guy before, hope he at least gets your receiver back to you.  What a hassle!
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
A little update since I lodged a complaint here...

My Anvil Arms laser engraving job was delivered here yesterday and the results look beautiful.

I'm not sure why I can't get a reply by email or why the web site appears to be stripped of information, but I got my completed order and I am very pleased with it.

Maybe Jon had to take some personal time for some reason unknown to us, and hopefully he'll be back to business as usuall ???

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#12]
aa out of bussiness as of 11/ 24
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Holy Cow! Where did you get that info???

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Holy Cow! Where did you get that info???

What?? ... I figured something was up when I went to their web site and then reading the stuff in the industry forum. Man that sucks! .. they were one of the better gun show dealers.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Good to Go Tactical (www.g2gtactical.com) has been doing some engraving for me on lowers, dust covers, and barrels over the last month and the work has been excellent.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow, that's too bad about Anvil Arms if it's true.  I'm surprised any AR manufacturer would go tits up with the recent and current political gun climate.

I emailed Identmarking.com, Black Dog Machine, Spike's, and Otto Carter.  Emailing Good to Go Tactical now.

Thanks for all your help!
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
These guys do good work.

They did the engraving for my SBR lower in addition to laser etching MOLON LABE into the outside of the magwell.  Good price, and best of all is that they are local to me.

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#18]
seriously....

Link Posted: 12/11/2009 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, Quentin Laser has still never emailed me back.  Neither has BlackDogMachine, Spike's, or GTG Tactical.  Ident marking wanted $85, but Simmons LE was very prompt and the price was outstanding!  $35.00!  Kudos to Identmarking for at least responding.

WTF is up with companies not responding?  Not a hi, bye, f off, or anything.  Extremely disappointed with laser companies these days, but Simmons LE was great.  Lower shipped a few days ago.  Will post pics when I get it back.

Link Posted: 12/11/2009 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#20]
What you describe in regards to contact from businesses is endemic to the firearms community in general.

Firearms does not typically attract good business people, it attract hobbyists who decide to try to make a living.
Unfortunately the firearms business is so fraught with regulation and red-tape that real business folks stay away as the cost of doing business and risk associated is too high.

Hence, we deal with poor customer service throughout the industry.
The exceptions (Bravo Company comes to mind) end up exploding with business as the competition in firearms dealers is generally easy to beat.
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I would have to agree.  I've always had great customer service from BCM, Brownells, and up until recently, the now defunct Anvil Arms.  Very good point and well stated.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Firearms does not typically attract good business people, it attract hobbyists who decide to try to make a living. (sic)

And I for one am sure glad that 'hobbyists' (or whoever)- are engaged in the gun trade- if we left it to others- who may be more qualified, it would not be pretty. Thank them, avoid them or open your own store- but thank them all.

Back on subject- here's a receiver I just finished

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae358/davev_photobucket/riflemans_creed-1.jpg

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae358/davev_photobucket/riflemans_creed_2-1.jpg
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#23]
From Anvil Arms' website:

December 15, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

Mr. Jonathan A. Kruger, former Managing Member, has been terminated from Anvil Arms and, unfortunately, he has subsequently removed all of the equipment, inventory and records from the premises. Legal measures have been taken against Mr. Kruger for his actions.

Due to the nature of the business of Anvil Arms, activities conducted or in any way associated with or represented by Mr. Kruger since his dismissal were unauthorized as he has been removed from the Federal Firearms License (FFL) held by Anvil Arms LLC and such activities have been reported to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE).

Anvil Arms LLC would like to extend to you a sincere apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of the change in control of the organization and the subsequent events that have prevented Anvil Arms LLC from continuing normal business operations. New management is utilizing its best efforts to deal with a complicated and unfortunate situation.

Mr. Milton Disser, the new acting Manager of the limited liability company, can be contacted via email at [email protected].
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#24]
For all these engraving services, do you just ship them your lower and they ship it straight back to you?  Or does it have to come back through an FFL?  TIA.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#25]
ship to them and  they will  ship back
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Jon was a reputable guy before

Did he tell you that his engraving didn't meet ATF's legal specs?

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#27]
What do you mean?  Are you talking abut SBR markings and such?  Living in Iowa, I can't own any SBR's, silencers, etc. unless I am a class 3 dealer or class 7 with SOT.  As a private individual, the state law restricts/prohibits it.  The only engraving I had done by Jon was my name, american flag, and "si vis pacem, para bellum" on the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What do you mean?  Are you talking abut SBR markings and such?

yep. I've seen the designs and stuff, and they look great. But his engraving was not up to ATF's specs for SBR markings and such. He made a point of mentioning it to me, then tried convincing me to do it anyway.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
These guys do good work.

+10000!
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Ok, got my lower back from Simmons LE and put it together lastnight.  Absolutely outstanding service and quality from Simmons LE!!!

Will definitely do business with them again and send my fellow operators to them as well.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top