Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2006 6:50:06 PM EDT
Is there anyone that adds chrome lining to non-chrome lined chambers and bores?

How does it compare to a factory chrome lined barrel?  Is there a greater loss in accuracy?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Cant do it without re-cutting the chamber/rifling. Buy a new barrel.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Not really possible.  The barrel channel would have to be widened.  Just buy a new one.

ETA: Taylor beat me to it!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh well.  

I've been kind of kicking myself for not getting a chrome-lined barrel.

I should be fine without one anyway, right?

Is it true that chrome lining isn't standard issue?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If you mean military issue, chrome lining is standard issue.

Unless it is a precision rifle, I always get chrome lining.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Darn.  So how are the barrels from CMMG?

What am I supposed to do with my current barrel?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, if your barrel hasn't caused you any problems, keep on truckin!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of coampanies will hard chrome your barrel and you dont need to have it machined extra for the chrome... as long as its .30 diameter or larger.  I have successfully hard chromed several larger barrels through Armoloy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Darn.  So how are the barrels from CMMG?

What am I supposed to do with my current barrel?

CMMG usually has good stuff.  I'd sell your barrel or just shot the snot out of it and replace it later after its worn out.  You wont be hard chroming it though I dont think.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the idea of replacing my current barrel when it really needs to be replaced.

How many rounds will that take?  

My barrel is 1:9 chrome moly from Wilson that came with my RRA upper, and it will be seeing a good mix of commercial and surplus ammo.  It has had about 300 rounds through it so far, and my bore cleaner of choice is Butch's Bore Shine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My barrel is 1:9 chrome moly from Wilson that came with my RRA upper, and it will be seeing a good mix of commercial and surplus ammo.  It has had about 300 rounds through it so far, and my bore cleaner of choice is Butch's Bore Shine.

What exactly do you fear will happen with your barrel? I know of no corrosive 5.56 ammo, and as long as you don't soak it in salt water and leave it sitting, it's going to be fine. Wear wise, it might last a TAD longer with chrome lining, but it's not much of an issue. Accuracy isn't an issue either.

Just enjoy it, it's fine unless you're heading for jungle combat in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly do you fear will happen with your barrel? I know of no corrosive 5.56 ammo, and as long as you don't soak it in salt water and leave it sitting, it's going to be fine. Wear wise, it might last a TAD longer with chrome lining, but it's not much of an issue. Accuracy isn't an issue either.

Just enjoy it, it's fine unless you're heading for jungle combat in the near future.

I will enjoy my current barrel.  I wanted to know when it needs to be replaced.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:38:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wanted to know when it needs to be replaced.

When it's shot out, and not before. You can probably hang 10-15k rounds or more before you even notice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:41:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wanted to know when it needs to be replaced.

When it's shot out, and not before. You can probably hang 10-15k rounds or more before you even notice.

Thanks.  That's what I needed to know.  When the time comes I'll be sure to get a chrome lined barrel, maybe even one of those new Noveskes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top