Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2017 11:11:26 AM EDT
Does anyone actually use this method for a spacer on this site? Or are most just getting heavy and longer buffers with heavy springs?  Would just like to know the success people have using the quarter method with a carbine springs and a slightly heavy buffer (about 5oz) but normal length like the one that comes with PSA's 9mm complete lowers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone actually use this method for a spacer on this site? Or are most just getting heavy and longer buffers with heavy springs?  Would just like to know the success people have using the quarter method with a carbine springs and a slightly heavy buffer (about 5oz) but normal length like the one that comes with PSA's 9mm complete lowers.
View Quote

If you go to the 9mm trigger thread I started, many of the buffer/spring combos are listed.

Also...using quarters is ghetto, when there are  bumpers available that are designed for the application.

And...there are quite a few buffer threads from the last 8 months. I would read those for more info.

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The few dollars that a bumper costs is well spent. Why rig something if you don't have to. Either get the bumper to use with a standard length 9mm buffer or spend the money for an extended length 9mm buffer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a rifle buffer and tube, along with a NFA bumper... a quarter or two makes a cheap shim to fine tune the length of the action... I don't use a last round bolt hold open
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it is quite a leap to say using quarters as a spacer is ghetto or wrong.  They are the right diameter and it is easy to fine tune the amount needed to the specific setup.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you go to the 9mm trigger thread I started, many of the buffer/spring combos are listed.

Also...using quarters is ghetto, when there are  bumpers available that are designed for the application.

And...there are quite a few buffer threads from the last 8 months. I would read those for more info.

View Quote
Well my Birth Certificate says DETROIT. Is that GHETTO enough
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I did, and at $1.50/$1.75 (i forget now)worth it worked great, i had no fte or double feeds, i swapped it to ss washers, since the buffer i wanted was still out of stock and gave the kids the quarters for school haha.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, it's a great way to stash a few quarters in case you need to make a phone call or buy a condom.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...we were all born somewhere. ...right ??

OP...since the term "ghetto" has "triggered" someone...we will use the term "booty-fab". It means poorly conceived, designed and constructed.

The point being....why spend $700 to a grand on a firearm if your just gonna put some loose change in the buffer tube ??

A cheap and easy to install component that is bomb-proof and solves a problem is available, and has been around/discussed for a few years.

_
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#9]
While i do not currently run $1.75 in my buffer tubes, I did for a few years.
Worked well, quite a bit cheaper than a poly spacer.

Branding something "ghetto" is simply foolish.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey, it's a great way to stash a few quarters in case you need to make a phone call or buy a condom.
View Quote
You still have pay phones in your AO? 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing wrong with quarters...
I started out running quarters and C product mag block, yes it worked great too just didn't like flat nosed bullets
I used quarters for couple years many thousands of rounds

I've also used spacer and RR 9mm buffers, also worked great

What I'm running now,  I have two 9mm ARs 7 1/2" pistol and 16" rifle both function perfectly 100% reliable   both use  Spikes extended 9mm buffers Tubbs flat wire buffer spring's and Colt style dedicated Lowers, DDLES and BCP

IMO less parts = more  better
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
along with a NFA bumper... a quarter or two makes a cheap shim to fine tune the length of the action...
View Quote
This. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I do not use a buffer detent with any of my PCC rigs. So what I do is drink down the differ tube threads and "adjust" the buffer tube to take up any extra "play" in the bolt/buffer travel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I use six quarters in all three of mine, along with a 5oz buffer and standard carbine spring....works just fine after thousands of rounds.  Running my first one over a year and a half at every match I can....works great!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I used quarters back when then switched to a bumper.  Both worked well!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I started to use quarters to determine functional length but was doing AC work and found that the rubber plug for the drier was the right diameter/length. Saved me from ordering the plug...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Branding something "ghetto" is simply foolish.
2 people triggered by the word "ghetto".

Guys...grow some thicker skin, and then maybe every little thing your read won't offend you.

This is what is wrong with  people in our country.....hypersensitive whiners crying over the word "ghetto".

elvis presley - in the ghetto
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I posted it here a while ago as I had not seen it mentioned anywhere.  The A5 length buffers are the correct length and are available in a wide range of weight options to allow a quick and easy drop in design from a company that's been around for a really long time.  Further they have been tested in exhaustive military standard tests and in combat.   Not saying that some of the other options won't hold up but it's nice to know what's been done to verify that you are buying a reliable product.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#19]
On could take quarters as spacers to a whole new OCD level like I did for my QC10.  Sorted a pile of 50-state quarters by their 2A stance... Only those worthy made it into the buffer tube.  Figure in a hundred years, someone will take it apart, discover the quarters and connect the dots.  Kind of like finding something in the buttstock of a CMP Garand.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I use rubber or nylon washers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I admit that $1.75 of the approx. $1050 I have into an AR9 consists of seven quarters in the back of the buffer tube.

"In for a dime, in for a dollar seventy five".
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#23]
A2 buffer in a rifle tube, A2 rifle spring..
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Wolf XP spring, KAK 9mm buffer, and a buck fifty in quarters here
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Spikes ST9X buffer and mine runs perfect.  No need for Arkansas Engineering.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess I'm not that well versed on AR9's , which actually explains my presence in this tech forum
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

2 people triggered by the word "ghetto".

Guys...grow some thicker skin, and then maybe every little thing your read won't offend you.

This is what is wrong with  people in our country.....hypersensitive whiners crying over the word "ghetto".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ox1Tore9nw
View Quote
Now I take offense, there is something wrong with you, I am not a hypersensitve whiner that cries.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#28]
NVM
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

2 people triggered.?.
View Quote
This isn't GD.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes, a buddy who knew what he was doing helped me tune my PCC using quarters. It did help with the bolt cycling speed and how much sight movement I saw during recoil.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes, a buddy who knew what he was doing helped me tune my PCC using quarters. It did help with the bolt cycling speed and how much sight movement I saw during recoil.
View Quote
what buffer were you using and how many quarters did it take?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
what buffer were you using and how many quarters did it take?
View Quote
The VLTOR A5 buffer tube and Blitzkrieg components carbine buffer and spring combo. I think we used 1-2 quarters?  I can't remember exactly as we were just experimenting until the bolt stopped locking back.
I would defer to someone like Max, who helped me put this PCC together. You can see him posting under Maxamundo on the Enos forum:

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/250677-which-recoil-system-jp-scs-gen-2-vs-mbx-pcc-buffer-system/
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#33]
After further consideration prompted by this thread, I have taken the seven quarter stack out of the AR9 buffer tube.  With the quarters at the back of the buffer tube, the bolt travel is limited, but the recoil spring is given a greater than standard pre-tension.  Further, impact of the bolt, even with its buffer, tends to cause some rebound off the quarters.  I have put in a plastic spacer that fits snugly inside the recoil spring at the back of the spring.  The spacer is approximately the same length as the height of the stack of quarters, and should cause less bolt rebound.

I have not yet fired the carbine, but the rear impact of the bolt feels more damped when manipulated by hand.  And, as expected, since the length of the bolt travel is limited the same amount as before, the LRBHO works.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#34]
No quarters here but i just shot for the first time mr ar9 yesterday and with the standerd carbine spring, kak extended 9mm 10oz buffer, and faxon 9mm bcg it shot about perfict with no issues. Was using the federal champ 115gr that seems underpowered
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
After further consideration prompted by this thread, I have taken the seven quarter stack out of the AR9 buffer tube.  With the quarters at the back of the buffer tube, the bolt travel is limited, but the recoil spring is given a greater than standard pre-tension.  Further, impact of the bolt, even with its buffer, tends to cause some rebound off the quarters.  I have put in a plastic spacer that fits snugly inside the recoil spring at the back of the spring.  The spacer is approximately the same length as the height of the stack of quarters, and should cause less bolt rebound.

I have not yet fired the carbine, but the rear impact of the bolt feels more damped when manipulated by hand.  And, as expected, since the length of the bolt travel is limited the same amount as before, the LRBHO works.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote
I started out with quarters many years ago.
Moved to a spacer.
Have since moved on to a Heavy Buffer and still have no issues.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Oops....
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top