Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 1:42:36 PM EDT
in a Pelican 1700,

The Colt M4gery and HK91.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:44:52 PM EDT
What, no magazine storage??

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:47:39 PM EDT
Very nice, I've been thinking about buying a larger case and doing the same thing. I love the HK93!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:06:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
What, no magazine storage??

[:D]
View Quote

Hey, I just got done cutting these out. Now I just gotta figure out what I want to add in those open spots. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:16:43 PM EDT
NICE JOB!
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:36:48 PM EDT
I like it alot !! I have those two rifles.

How much was the case ?

KZ

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:31:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2003 1:32:18 AM EDT by danhits]
Don't hack out too much of the foam which is there to protect the rifles.  Carry you mags, cleaning gear and ammo in seperate bag/case.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:54:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KZ45:

How much was the case ?

View Quote

[url]http://froogle.google.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:29:56 AM EDT
Retro,

Any secret to cutting out the foam?  Is is fairly straightforward?  Razor knife?

Looks like you got it perfect, great looking case!

Doc
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:08:04 PM EDT
Your Pelican case will come with three pieces of foam, a top, middle and bottom piece.  Leave the foam in top lid alone.  

Remove the middle and bottom pieces of foam from the case and set on work table.  

Lay the gun parts you want in Pelican case on top of middle piece of foam.  Move parts around until you have the spacing just the way you want it.  Leave space around parts for protection.  If parts are too close to each other there will be no support from the foam for protection.

Draw a pattern on the foam around each gun part on the top side of the middle piece of foam using chalk or fine tip marker.  

Cut the pattern out with band saw.  If you do not have access to band saw use an electric carving knife like you would use to carve a Turkey with.

Band saw makes super clean pro looking cuts.  If you use an electric carving knife, keep the blade moving forward at an even pace or you will get a choppy looking edge.  

If you have to use a hand knife, get one of those long thin box cutter type knives from a hardware store, where you can break sections of blade off as knife edge dulls.  It will dull quickly.  

Next, spray a foam adhesive to the top side of the bottom piece of foam, which has not been cut, and the bottom side of middle piece of foam, which is the piece you cut out.  

Now attach the glued surfaces of middle and bottom pieces of foam together.  Let air dry for 15 minutes.  Place foam back in bottom of case.  Insert rifle and your done.

Remember, the Pelican case is to protect the most important thing, your rifle and or optics.  Most everything else should go in a separate kit.

I have three Pelican cases I set up in this way.  One for my 16" AR, one for my 20" AR and one for my 24" AI .308.  

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2003 10:21:52 PM EDT by KZ45]
Good advice Danhits. I agree with Lumpy196 about the mag storage issue.

There's perfect space for a double wide, two deep AR mag cutout between the two handguards going in the direction of the rifles, and a double wide two deep cutout between the stock of the AR, and the barrel of the HK going oppsite direcion of the rifles for 91 mags.

I think this would be perfect.

Any better ideas ?
Top Top