Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 9:02:51 PM EDT
I have been reading around and I am a little unclear about certain stocks and which wrench they may need.

Next month, I will be building a rifle for myself and a friend. I am going to choose the M-4 style stock (probably from Model 1 Sales) and he is choosing the CAR style one also from Model 1.

Do these 2 stocks require a certain wrench to attach, and if so - are they both the same wrench or does each stock require a different one?

Any recommendations for a wrench or wrenches that would be needed for these 2 stocks would also be greatly appreciated. I don't mind spending a few dollars more for a better tool....

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
My BM and all of the Colt car stocks I've seen have the regular square castle nuts.  Both of your kits should have the same castle nuts so a regular wrench will work.   You can find them from the EE or CDNN has them for $2  www.targetsportsinc.com/.

I got the RRA wrench, it looks a little bit sturdier.  It was $5 or so from either Adco or Brownells.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy a DPMS armorer's wrench. It will put on a CAR stock and many other things. It is probably the last AR wrench you will ever buy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the informative replies, I appreciate it.

Is the RRA wrench and all in one type of wrench that will handle any stock? If it is, and it can do barrels and other tasks....I might consider that since in the future I may assemble uppers once I am more experienced...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is the RRA wrench and all in one type of wrench that will handle any stock? If it is, and it can do barrels and other tasks.......

The RRA wrench will only do CAR/M4 stocks.  As recommended, get the DPMS armorers wrench:

www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=TL-MW
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It is really about the barrel nut rather than the stock.  I have bought CAR stocks that came with Car nuts and others that came with castle nuts.  I have bought M4 stocks that came with castle nuts and others that came with CAR nuts.

Two simple fixes:

1.  Wait to buy the wrench until you see which nut you have.

2.  Buy both wrenches, they are cheap and will come in handy later.

See brushdog's post for wreche types.  The first one is a CAR wrench.  The hole will be circular and in the middle of the nut.  The second is the castle wrench.  It will have 3 or 4 rectangular holes on the edge of the nut.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for that clarification....

What about that DPMS armorers wrench? Does that do the CAR nut and Castle Nut? I though that was a true all-in-one type of tool.

If that does what the 2 wrenches you mention can do, I might as well get that and the ability to do barrels and other things later on.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it just does Car but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for that clarification....

What about that DPMS armorers wrench? Does that do the CAR nut and Castle Nut? I though that was a true all-in-one type of tool.

If that does what the 2 wrenches you mention can do, I might as well get that and the ability to do barrels and other things later on.....

The DPMS armorers wrench that I posted above does it all.  car stocks, barrels, you name it.  I do have a car stock wrench and the DPMS wrench, just because I picked up the car wrench at a local show for a few bucks....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The DPMS armorers wrench that I posted above does it all.  car stocks, barrels, you name it.  I do have a car stock wrench and the DPMS wrench, just because I picked up the car wrench at a local show for a few bucks....

It doesn't look like it will do castle nuts though.  If the author gets the m4 stock he wrote about, there will be a good chance he will still need a castle nut wrench.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#10]
tagged.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't look like it will do castle nuts though.  If the author gets the m4 stock he wrote about, there will be a good chance he will still need a castle nut wrench.

Hmmm... well, i dont know if it was made for it or not, but I took my castle nut off my M4 type stocks with the DPMS wrench, and with a CAR wrench once.... I just put the round part in the rectangular hole, and popped her loose.  I didnt know there was a special tool for castle nuts.... I just used what I had and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I boogered a few castle nuts up using my CAR spanner wrench before I bought the castle wrench.  I think that your wrench would handle it better than the CAR spanner though because the handle is thicker and would overlap the nut better.  If it worked for you then it would probably work for him.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#13]
How about this wrench

DPMS BBL Wrench from Guns_N_stuff  for $26

Daubs
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How about this wrench

DPMS BBL Wrench from Guns_N_stuff  for $26

Daubs

Mine broke, but after some bad press on this board DPMS replaced it with a new one.  So far so good....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]
It's not clear to me either , but I think this wrench is for castle nuts www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/223-telewrench2.asp and this (style) wrench is for the CAR stock nuts (whatever they look like I don't know 'cause I don't have one) www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/223-telewrench.asp.  Although it looks like the second (Bushmaster) wrench is made to work on either.  I bought the second wrench (for my Castle nut Instl.) but I think I got some bum advice and would have been better off with the first wrench.  Since I haven't done the job yet I can't comment on how it works.  I wish there was better nomencalture attached to these nuts and wrenches e.g. Castle Nut (I can understand this) and Castle Nut Wrench.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the DPMS wrench, but I still have the cheapie stamped stock wrenches.

The stamped wrenches let you tighten down a reversed castlenut, for less snags.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#17]
bsbg, that link keeps showing a stainless wrench, and says it's made by Olympic Arms. Is that the one your talking about? Was thinking of buying one myself.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Now I am confused.

I will assemble rifles with both M4 and CAR stocks.

I will just wait to see what type of NUT I have, then take a picture of it, or ask the vendor which wrench I need for the NUTS they sent me....

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I will just wait to see what type of NUT I have, then take a picture of it, or ask the vendor which wrench I need for the NUTS they sent me....

Wise idea.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I just went and took out every type of collapsing stock I have.  I have both, two with castle nuts (multi slotted), and two with CAR nuts (round holes in the nut).

The super cheap, CAR stock wrench works fine on both types.  Sure, if you get the newer style castle nut, it *might* be a little prone to slip, but I didnt have any problem with mine.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top