User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 8:20:07 PM EDT
The better .308 AR is ???
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:34:44 AM EDT
[#1]
dude, this is a loaded question if I ever saw one!

Personally, I own a DPMS 308 and I love it.  

DPMS is considerably cheaper than your other choices, but the good mags are expensive and hard to find  (this problem is supposedly being taken care of by the end of Oct)

Armalite is the most versatile and there's a whole lot more 'stuff' available for it, but from posts I've read here, they have some issues with reliability.  (so does EVERY manufacturer, including my DPMS, so take that with a grain of salt)

Bushmaster uses easy to find FAL mags but costs WAAAAYYYY too much (IMO) for the initial purchase.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably have gotten an Armalite AR10T A4 just because of the 'stuff' that I can't find for my DPMS, but I'm not going to sell my DPMS anytime soon--it's just too damn accurate!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I purchased the DPMS .308 on impulse, it was in front of me at the store, calling my name. But.....................................................after about 50 rounds through it, I decided to get rid of it, then I researched the Bushy, (which I have three AR-15'a already) and the Armalite, after going back and forth awhile, I decided on the Bush. And I am very happy with my decision :-)
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
None of the above
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a KAC SR25. It was a good rifle but kicked like a pissed off horse! Changing the buffer helped considerably, but I still sold it when I could. It's a good quality gun and Knight is proud as hell of it price-wise, but if you want a good .308 autoloader, you can't beat a CETME.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#5]
So where are the 15 reviews of the Bushmaster???
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I had a KAC SR25. It was a good rifle but kicked like a pissed off horse!

Not typical SR25 behavior...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I suspect the owners are out happily shooting them instead of tweaking converted mags with rulers and/or squabbling with Goderators on "another forum" about their AR10s malfing

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had a KAC SR25. It was a good rifle but kicked like a pissed off horse!

havior...

So I'm told... it shot well fom the bench, but it beat me half to death. I was using milsurp 7.62 x 51 ammo. I have a .300 Magnum that doesn't kick me as hard as the KAC did. The dude I sold it to loves it, though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suspect the owners are out happily shooting them instead of tweaking converted mags with rulers and/or squabbling with Goderators on "another forum" about their AR10s malfing

Bullshit!  They are here "voting".....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Why is this not "shitting in every ... thread" as you have accused me of doing?

You, sir, are just a troll in Moderator garb.

And to think you moderate this forum ...

BTW - I will not respond to any inane response you make to this post.  So post away if you like playing alone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is this not "shitting in every ... thread" as you have accused me of doing?

You, sir, are just a troll in Moderator garb.

And to think you moderate this forum ...

BTW - I will not respond to any inane response you make to this post.  So post away if you like playing alone.

I'm asking a question......where are the reviews.....new rifle 20 votes for it....but only about 5 folks who claim to have one?

Interesting....

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]
A DSA/FAL would be first for me then I would probably get a Armalite. Not that there is anthing wrong with the other choices...

MT
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Hands down the best is the Knight's SR series rifles. I have a new 04" SR-25 RAS Match. The guy claiming kicked like a mule??? I have no idea about that mine is butter smooth. The 2 stage trigger is one of the best period. As far as accuracy well.... I'm getting repeated groups of .250-.325 5 shot groups at 100yards. This thing cold barrel shoots the exact same point as it does 40 rds later. Anyone who claims DPMS or Arma-junk is as good or better.... please. I don't see either of those in service with the special forces in Iraq/Afghan. I wonder what could the reason be? It's pricey but worth ever single penny. Decide how serious you want a weapon and buy the one accordingly.
Shoot safe.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#14]
As I'm partial to my SR25, I didn't vote in the poll above. I'll vote for DPMS to see the results...but now I understand where SHIVANs comment came from.

My heavy match performs much like Red1alphas, including accuracy and the first shot out of a cold barrel staying in the group. Superlative trigger. Just love this rifle...

A board member friend of mine bought a DPMS this summer. We only made one range trip with it. Fit and finish is no where near an SR25, but neither is the price tag. It WAS reliable and accurate, around MOA at 100 yds with a standard AR trigger and a 3-9 VX II Leupold. We shot  Federal Gold Match. I think a better trigger will tighten the groups significantly. For the money, not a bad gun. He did spring for 2 KAC mags as the plastic factory mags are known to be a problem waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
...but now I understand where SHIVANs comment came from.

Isn't that strange.......most folks around here BRAG like there is no tomorrow when they get new toys.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
[quote]Quoted:
Hands down the best is the Knight's SR series rifles. I have a new 04" SR-25 RAS Match. The guy claiming kicked like a mule??? I have no idea about that mine is butter smooth. The 2 stage trigger is one of the best period. As far as accuracy well.... I'm getting repeated groups of .250-.325 5 shot groups at 100yards. This thing cold barrel shoots the exact same point as it does 40 rds later. Anyone who claims DPMS or Arma-junk is as good or better.... please. I don't see either of those in service with the special forces in Iraq/Afghan. I wonder what could the reason be? It's pricey but worth ever single penny. Decide how serious you want a weapon and buy the one accordingly.
Shoot safe.

I didn't claim it kicked like a mule... I said a pissed off horse.The rifle was accurate, even with milsurp ammo, but I wasn't willing to accept the recoil associated with that accuracy. Each rifle has it's own characteristics- mine just happened to be unfriendly. I'v eshot other KAC SR25's since I sold mine and was surpised at the difference in recoil, but I'm not willing to put out the money Reed Knight wants for one.  For a military-style .308 rifle, I'll stick with the Remingtom M40A3; I've yet to see a factory rifle surpass it accuracy-wise.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#17]
As I stated earlier, I traded my DPMS for the Bush. I had to send it right back when the first range visit with it, the sighting was off. I called them, they said no problem, the barrel had to be reindexed, they sent my the UPS label, I had it back at my door in 8 days, I had them put a two stage trigger on it while they had it. Fit and finish are excellent, and no other problems. And yes, I was suprised they shipped it directly back to my house
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd say KAC SR25 is the best too if you can afford one.  2nd would be Bushmasters BAR10.  I fired LRTs Bushmaster a few weeks ago about 60 rounds was damn impressed.  I've fired 3 ArmaLites and wasn't really impressed with any of them.  That's not to say ArmaLites aren't good just that I liked the Bushmaster more.  I have a DSA factory FAL carbine and like the Bushmaster as much as this, BTW this is my opinion everyone else is entitled to have their own opinion.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#19]

BTW this is my opinion everyone else is entitled to have their own opinion.

you know what they say about opinions.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#20]
From CDR680:I didn't claim it kicked like a mule... I said a pissed off horse.
The rifle was accurate, even with milsurp ammo, but I wasn't willing to accept the recoil associated with that accuracy. Each rifle has it's own characteristics- mine just happened to be unfriendly. I'v eshot other KAC SR25's since I sold mine and was surpised at the difference in recoil, but I'm not willing to put out the money Reed Knight wants for one. For a military-style .308 rifle, I'll stick with the Remingtom M40A3; I've yet to see a factory rifle surpass it accuracy-wise.

Talk about cost of the rifle...what's a Rem M40A3 go for these days?? I think a couple grand, same price as SR-25...POINT. Factory rifle better than the M40.. the M40 is not a "factory" built rifle... it's hand built like the SR-25...POINT. Accuracy between the 2 rifles would be the same....both under 1/2 MOA..POINT. And finally I beleive this being AR-15 web site the orignal question was in regards to a semi-auto .308 not bolt rifles.  When it comes to bolt rifles the Rem M40 while being fine in most respects is not on the map in military circles outside the US. The AI series rifles dominate the field in every aspect and have won every International Sniper shoot last 7 yrs. I'd put my personal AWP against any M40 you care to bring to the line.Shoot safe.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'm asking a question......where are the reviews.....new rifle 20 votes for it....but only about 5 folks who claim to have one?

Interesting....hr

I voted Bushmaster and I own one.....

http://www.moobak.com/users/images/3791BAR1.jpg

and here is my short review....

Click

Hope that this helps

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
From CDR680:I didn't claim it kicked like a mule... I said a pissed off horse.
The rifle was accurate, even with milsurp ammo, but I wasn't willing to accept the recoil associated with that accuracy. Each rifle has it's own characteristics- mine just happened to be unfriendly. I'v eshot other KAC SR25's since I sold mine and was surpised at the difference in recoil, but I'm not willing to put out the money Reed Knight wants for one. For a military-style .308 rifle, I'll stick with the Remingtom M40A3; I've yet to see a factory rifle surpass it accuracy-wise.

Talk about cost of the rifle...what's a Rem M40A3 go for these days?? I think a couple grand, same price as SR-25...POINT. Factory rifle better than the M40.. the M40 is not a "factory" built rifle... it's hand built like the SR-25...POINT Not a POINT as you say. The SR25 IS a FACTORY built rifle NOT hand built. Until last year, my brother worked for Reed Knight as a CNC machinist, making the SR25. None of them are hand0built as you claim.   . Accuracy between the 2 rifles would be the same....both under 1/2 MOA..POINT. Mine NEVER shot 1/2 MOA. Best I could achieve was 3/4 MOA, using 168 Sierra MatchKing bullets And finally I beleive this being AR-15 web site the orignal question was in regards to a semi-auto .308 not bolt rifles.This is true and is why I never expanded on the M40A3. When it comes to bolt rifles the Rem M40 while being fine in most respects is not on the map in military circles outside the US.  The AI series rifles dominate the field in every aspect and have won every International Sniper shoot last 7 yrs. I could care less what other countries use. The M40 works; just ask any Marine sniper. I'd put my personal AWP against any M40 you care to bring to the line. Confidence in your equipment always helps.
Shoot safe.

Always
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting....

www.moobak.com/users/images/3791BAR1.jpg

Click

Hope that this helps

Well, that's a start towards addressing the 26 owners of Bushmaster rifles.....

I would think that only owners would vote....but then again this being the internet....

I know of 6 people who have claimed to own one on this board"

gaijin
long-rifle-tactical
negative1
daewoodog
dodgeram
ranroex1911 {or whoever it was that was having feedramp problems and the thread is now gone}

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#24]
ARMALITE

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting....

www.moobak.com/users/images/3791BAR1.jpg

Click

Hope that this helps

Well, that's a start towards addressing the 26 owners of Bushmaster rifles.....

I would think that only owners would vote....but then again this being the internet....

I know of 6 people who have claimed to own one on this board"

gaijin
long-rifle-tactical
negative1
daewoodog
dodgeram
ranroex1911 {or whoever it was that was having feedramp problems and the thread is now gone}

Looks like some kind of conspiracy to me

Only 14 people have posted, yet there are 62 votes!

Where are the 29 ArmaLite owners?

Sheeesshh

Demanding an accounting in an internet poll is a futile exercise.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Demanding an accounting in an internet poll is a futile exercise.

Actually, what I am doing is calling BULLSHIT.....

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#27]
In regards to FB41 post which is in regards to my post......

If the best you ever got out of your SR-25 was 3/4 MOA you or the rifle must have a serious malfunction. There are 3 owners 1 being me at my club and under 1/2 MOA is not a rare event but the common group size. i'm no world class shooter but heck it's not hard to get better than 3/4 MOA Come on!!!! If your brother knows them so well from prior employment maybe he can hook me up with some extra mags. You mention not caring what others use (M40)..... ask a marine ..... as much as I love my country's armed forces they are not the final say on what is "the best" equipment. Competition bring s out the best in every sport, and the best in .30 cal bolt guns is the AI series. that is not opinion it is black and white fact. You can come up with any spec, review, test, or other information to prove otherwise. The facts tell the story and the AI's winning history is proven year after year. I don't need to go ask anyone I own every gun I talk about, I know what each is capable of..... can you make the same claim?
Shoot safe.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I have three AR10s (all 100% flawless), can I vote three times?

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have three AR10s (all 100% flawless), can I vote three times?

If I were you, I'd buy a lottery ticket
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top