Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 7:52:32 AM EST

I want to get off the bench and on the ground for some 300+ range shooting.

I was just looking at a Turner AWS Competition Sling in the Bushmaster catalog, but it is synthetic and $69.95. I don't want to make a mistake on an expensive sling.

What slings are out there?

Next I need some sort of ground pad. Is there a have to have version, or should I just use my old sleepingbag pad?

Any other advice for shooting an AR with a sling? It's just a standard AR, not a free floater.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:14:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 4:16:40 PM EST by mr_smashy]
The Turner AWS is one of the best slings for competition shooting, but Bushmaster is overcharging, you can get them for $45-50.

look here: www.creedmoorsports.com/Equip_Sling_Service.htm ARs work best with a 54"/56"

Or you might want to get a web sling from an M1 Garand. You can get them for as little as $5, and are pretty easy to setup: www.jouster.com/articles30m1/slings.htm

Most highpower competitors use some type of mat to lay on during the prone stages of fire. While a purpose built mat is best, you might want to use a blanket or ground cloth while they learn what highpower is all about.

A standard AR isn't the best suited for using a sling in positions, as the tension can bend the barrel. It'll be fine to try out with you rifle, but you should consider getting a "NM" upper with a hidden float tube.

Wear a heavy jacket and a heavy glove, it will make shooting with sling more comfertable.

Come and visit my forum at www.highpowerforum.com if you'd like to get some more advice about position shooting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:16:25 PM EST
Good INFO mr_smashy.

MT
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:49:09 PM EST

Thanks mr_smashy, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Top Top