Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 8:52:32 AM EDT

I want to get off the bench and on the ground for some 300+ range shooting.

I was just looking at a Turner AWS Competition Sling in the Bushmaster catalog, but it is synthetic and $69.95. I don't want to make a mistake on an expensive sling.

What slings are out there?

Next I need some sort of ground pad. Is there a have to have version, or should I just use my old sleepingbag pad?

Any other advice for shooting an AR with a sling? It's just a standard AR, not a free floater.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The Turner AWS is one of the best slings for competition shooting, but Bushmaster is overcharging, you can get them for $45-50.

look here: www.creedmoorsports.com/Equip_Sling_Service.htm  ARs work best with a 54"/56"

Or you might want to get a web sling from an M1 Garand.  You can get them for as little as $5, and are pretty easy to setup: www.jouster.com/articles30m1/slings.htm

Most highpower competitors use some type of mat to lay on during the prone stages of fire. While a purpose built mat is best, you might want to use a blanket or ground cloth while they learn what highpower is all about.

A standard AR isn't the best suited for using a sling in positions, as the tension can bend the barrel.  It'll be fine to try out with you rifle, but you should consider getting a "NM" upper with a hidden float tube.

Wear a heavy jacket and a heavy glove, it will make shooting with sling more comfertable.

Come and visit my forum at www.highpowerforum.com if you'd like to get some more advice about position shooting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Good INFO mr_smashy.

MT
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Thanks mr_smashy, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top