Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2005 5:43:13 PM EDT
Nearly every picture I see of a single point sling in use has the sling going under the weak side arm.  I know that makes sense in one way because it allows the user to throw the carbine to the weak side and draw a handgun.  It does, however, put the sling in the way to the butt of the gun.  A stiff sling can get in the line of sight fairly easily like this.  I find it much more comfortable to put my right arm through the sling.

Does it really matter?  What am I missing?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
same way I do it.I am right handed shooter and I put my right arm thru and my head so the sling is on my left side neck and the AR is under my right side arm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
If you dress to the weak side, you won't bang your pistol and rifle together as much. I've never really had a problem with the single point sling interfering with the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I also wear my single point under my support side.  I like it that way so it does not get in the way of accessing the pistol.

I've never had any issues with the sling getting in the way, maybe you just need to work on adjusting your sling to better fit you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm...  maybe I do need to work on the fit.  With the sling under the strong side arm, a hasty gun mount doesn't allow the sling to bunch up under the chin.  Look at picture D above and see where that nylon is hanging.  Its not in his way, but is VERY close to it.  

Besides working on a good sling fit and proper mount, I guess its also just a trade-off between access to a pistol versus lower complications with the sling.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#6]
It matters if you have to mount the rifle to the firing shoulder quickly. Speed is the result of economy of motion. Or the shortest distance between two points. With the sling over your right shoulder, assuming a right handed shooter, the rifle does not have to travel as far, and can be shouldered more quickly.

And if you carry a handgun on the right side, it is harder to transition to the handgun, and sweep the rifle out of the way.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It matters if you have to mount the rifle to the firing shoulder quickly. Speed is the result of economy of motion. Or the shortest distance between two points. With the sling over your right shoulder, assuming a right handed shooter, the rifle does not have to travel as far, and can be shouldered more quickly.

And if you carry a handgun on the right side, it is harder to transition to the handgun, and sweep the rifle out of the way.

It depends on how you wear and adjust your sling.  Look at ARin's pictures above, the sling is under the support side and if you look at picture A you can see that he has the sling adjusted so the stock is literally at the shoulder.   That setup will be very fast to mount for a right handed shooter yet allow for an uncluttered path to the pistol, at least with the way I do a transition.

This kind versatility is one of the advantages of his CQ90 single point slings.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It depends on how you wear and adjust your sling.  Look at ARin's pictures above, the sling is under the support side and if you look at picture A you can see that he has the sling adjusted so the stock is literally at the shoulder.   That setup will be very fast to mount for a right handed shooter yet allow for an uncluttered path to the pistol, at least with the way I do a transition.

This kind versatility is one of the advantages of his CQ90 single point slings.

Correct the user in the picture is right handed, and it is over his right shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Correct the user in the picture is right handed, and it is over his right shoulder.

You say over the right shoulder while I say it's under the support side arm but it really looks like we are talking about the same thing.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top