Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/26/2006 5:54:30 AM EDT
Hello everyone.

I'm now searching for a railed forend for my 14.5" barreled carbine, and two setups come to mind:
-ARMS #50 with EOTech 512.A65
-KAC RAS2 with Trijicon ACOG TA31

I can get the RAS2 for $230 with 3rail panels, I don't have any good offers for the SIR. I have no idea which setup to go for, I mostly shoot at the range, although I am going to sign up for some carbine courses.

Now, I never had a SIR or EOTech in my hands. I did use a TA31 on my friends 20" AR and it was great. I've heard that you can use the TA31 like a reflex, is that true? And can it be as effective as using a reflex sight?
And, I have a Aimpoint CompM3 2MOA on a Aimpoint SRP-Low mount, will that clear the iron sights when mounted on the RAS2?

Please help me guys, I'm very losthis
Thanks!
-Andrew
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:39:17 AM EDT
the sir is going to be heavier and more expensive

i personally do not like eotechs and prefer aimpoints but with the two setups you have listed i would probably just build two differnt rifles with the two different setups i have used the sir and never had a problem with them that being said i also like the acog and would pick one over the eotech anyday.

i have a few acogs and aimpoints and will say that the aimpoint is hands down fastest when it comes to a reflex sight and the acog works as one but does take some getting use to and is still a bit slower. with the aimpoint you usually mount it so the irons are in the "window" to "co-witness". to mount the aimpoint so that it clears the irons would force an uncomfortable cheekweld and a very high sight over bore causeing elevation problems out to further distances.

i would suggest sticking around and reading on as much as you can before purchasing, there is a world of info here and nothing sucks worse than buying something and finding out it doesnt work when the whole time you could have found it out for free here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:00:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 7:02:33 AM EDT by B-O-R]
Thank you!

Yeah, I phrased that incorectly. I meant that I can clearly see the dot, so it's not covered by the front sight post.
What do you think of the price of the RAS2? 230bucks and I get a RAS2 and 3 11rib covers, NIB.

2 different rifles sound great, but I can only afford one.

I did search for info about the RAS2, and I did not get any results.

-Andrew
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:04:33 AM EDT
I have a SIR #59, like it alright.

It is sorta heavy.

You can place rails where you want them.

If I had to do it all over I would go with a different brand.

I would take a look at either a Larue or a Daniel Defense model.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:15:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By B-O-R:
Thank you!

Yeah, I phrased that incorectly. I meant that I can clearly see the dot, so it's not covered by the front sight post.
What do you think of the price of the RAS2? 230bucks and I get a RAS2 and 3 11rib covers, NIB.

2 different rifles sound great, but I can only afford one.

I did search for info about the RAS2, and I did not get any results.

-Andrew

try searching rasII or look here for more info on ff's

i myself prefer the larue tactical.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:14:13 AM EDT
Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

And searching RASII or RAS II did'nt really bring up any interesting stuff.

-Andrew
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:44:02 AM EDT
I have both.

ARMS #50M on my M4 clone and a RAS II on a 16" Superlight upper.

The ARMS is larger/bulkier and heavier, but more flexible where to locate rails. The RAS II is lighter and more compact, but places my Aimpoint right where I want it.

Granted, until there is a 1913 railed bottle opener, nothing more than a foregrip and weapon light are going on my carbines.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:57:43 AM EDT
Looks like I'll go with the RAS2 then. It's cheaper and lighter...

I keep my weapons clean too. Only a scope, VFG and light are what I need.

-Andrew
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:37:40 PM EDT
I love my rasII, I had an EOTech 551 on it for a while, It only fit in the front so it made my carbine front heavy. I now have an Aimpoint ml2 on the hump and its tits, like it was made for it. I've seem pics of guys adn girls on here with an ACOG mounted on the reciver behind the hump. they seem to like it, never tried it myself.

ps, get the ras II
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:36:28 PM EDT
Could you please post some pics of RAS2 equiped weapons? Ones with Aimpoints and ACOG's would be really tit.

-Andrew
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:11:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By B-O-R:
Could you please post some pics of RAS2 equiped weapons? Ones with Aimpoints and ACOG's would be really tit.

-Andrew

Here's mine...

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:18:47 PM EDT
I have a RAS-II on my Colt 6920. I like that the "hump" grabs the upper receiverby the top along with the usual grabbing of the barrel nut. It will also work fine with either an Aimpoint or ACOG. No gunsmithing needed to install. All around it's a nice system. It only runs into problems if you want to run an Eotech, or...well..if you have an A1/A2 upper receiver.
Top Top