Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2006 12:01:44 PM EDT
I have always stayed in the 14.5/16" barrel M-4 clone(Bushmaster & Rock river). So, I wanted to reach out a little further. Here is what I have put together.

CMT flat top upper/Wilson 1/8 twist bull barrel 24 " /YHM flip up front/carry handle for iron back up/ Rock river lower

I am looking for my first optic for 200-600 yards. I have Black hills 68 grain and Hornady 75 grain ammo. I have been looking at the Super Sniper scope, because of the low price. Also I have been looking at the IOR 6 power also. I am a newb at long range, so for a scope under $800.00 anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone??
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
any one of these, SS is the best scope 4 da money IMHO

http://www.riflescopes.com/departments/231/rifle_scopes/super_sniper_rifle_scopes.htm
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
While not particularly tacti-cool don't neglect Leupold's VX-III line. Check out SWFA's sample list.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I just put a 10x super sniper on my 24" v-match.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Just put a 16X Super Sniper on my 20" varmit rig

I'm a Burris man, but this is a great scope for the money. You will not be dissappointed.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Leupold Mark 4 PR 3-9x40mm Mil-Dot (Model 56870), probably not as nice as the higher end PRs nor the MR/T M1/M3 nor the LR/T M1/M3..... but this one is afforable! Only $400ish....

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay after lots of reading, I am wanting an optic that will allow me to go out to the 400-600 yard range. If I go with a 10-16X I will be limited at closer range? If I go with a 6X will it be a happy medium? Try to find middle ground here. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:44:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Okay after lots of reading, I am wanting an optic that will allow me to go out to the 400-600 yard range. If I go with a 10-16X I will be limited at closer range? If I go with a 6X will it be a happy medium? Try to find middle ground here. Thanks

You will not be happy with a 6X at the longer distances, especially if your targets are smaller than "man size".  With higher powered optics at close ranges, the limiting factor is "field of view", which is how much room from left to right can be viewed through the scope.  My 16X SS allows a view of 6' at 100 yards.  I can focus on objects that are closer, but I must swing my gun significantly from side to side to find my target.

If you want the flexibility of shooting both long and short ranges, the best option is a variable power scope.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#9]

If you are on a budget  SWFA has their "samplelist" . They have a bunch of Leupold  NIB but older models for a good price

You can get the 3.5-10 M1 Long range ( it has the M1 tactical turrets , side focus AND illuminated recticle

They have a bunch at $799 . I bought a couple and they are indeed new in wrapper , never opened

You can also get the same scope in M3 so you can have a BDC cam ( makes full eleveation in one turn )   Downside is the relatively coarse 1 MOA elevation

If you are target / varmint shooting at 500yrds  it would be nice to have more magnification.  I use a 5.5-22 NSX or that application
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#10]
okay guys bear with me here. I went with a SS 16X, Luepy QD rings. If I zero @ 100 yards, using Black Hills 68 grain out of a 24" barrel that will be my sighting point of refernce to start. So where can I find a ballistics chart that would show the elevation clicks/ MOA at 300/400/500/600?

I am trying to learn the Mil dot scope. I do not want to guess at hold over at 400 yards.

Does the SS 16X have a way to set zero at 100, then lock it, so it returns to 100 zero/stops when I crank it back down?

Any links to moa/ drop for 68 grainers at different yardages?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I can only comment on that you went with the scope I hoped you would.
SS 16X seemed like the right choice for the 24" and distances you were looking at.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I absolutely adore my Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40.  It's big and long, I won't lie.  But I have it on my 24" Varminter, it's kinda a dinosaur anyway, so I don't mind.

Now, I will tell you this.  The internal adjustment on this scope is weak.  I want to say it 26MOA?  However, I don't shoot .223 much past 400 or 500yds.  Past that, I'd rather go to something with a little more gusto.  However, if you are adjusting your scope for elevation, this scope will peter out around the 500yd mark IIRC.  However, keep in mind, at the at point most of your lighter bullets are gonna be moving pretty slow (read, dropping pretty fast) so even a 50MOA scope MIGHT get you out to 700yds.  Given you ranges, that might be a deciding factor, but it wasn't for me.  

Just a few things to think about.  However, the Bushnell is crystal clear and I love the Mil-Dot reticle.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
okay guys bear with me here. I went with a SS 16X, Luepy QD rings. If I zero @ 100 yards, using Black Hills 68 grain out of a 24" barrel that will be my sighting point of refernce to start. So where can I find a ballistics chart that would show the elevation clicks/ MOA at 300/400/500/600?

I am trying to learn the Mil dot scope. I do not want to guess at hold over at 400 yards.

Does the SS 16X have a way to set zero at 100, then lock it, so it returns to 100 zero/stops when I crank it back down?

Any links to moa/ drop for 68 grainers at different yardages?

Thanks for the help.

Once you have the SS sighted in with your BH 68 grain. you can loosen 3 allen head screws on the side of the turrets and re-set them to "0". You can use a ballistic calculator (available for free from various internet sites,Google is your friend) to estimate your click/MOA adjustments but you will need to know the BC of the bullet, weight of the bullet, muzzle velocity from 24" barrel, height of scope above bore and typical enviormental conditions to get full use of the calculator.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top