Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/22/2004 4:28:19 PM EST
I have recently taken a postban Colt MT6400c and customized it to no ban specs and added some really useful high speed low drag accessories. It is set up as follows:

Fake tele stock replaced with Magpul M93A
Carry handle removed and replaced with ARMS #40A2 BUIS and
Aimpoint Comp ML2 in ARMS #22M68 Ring with cantilever spacer
Barrel cut to 14.5" and topped with KKF A3FSMS
Wilderness Single Point Sling

I would like the option of adding a light and a vertical grip so obviously I need some sort of railed handguard system. I know there are literally dozens of different options available. I want to stay as light, compact, and bulk free as possible. While the ARMS SIR is pretty cool, I think it is just too bulky for my purposes. I am strongly considering the Knight RAS II because it takes the weight of the forward mounted accessories off the barrel, because it is free floating. And, because the little hump where it attaches to the upper is the perfect spot for an Aimpoint. I don't want to spend money unneccesarily but I don't mind paying for a quality product that is superior. I will most likely be going with a Tango Down Vertical grip and a Surefire M962 Light.

What railed handguard system do you like and why?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:37:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2004 4:41:37 PM EST by AdrianUSP9]
I'm really happy with my RAS II. I have a surefire M962 with the XM tailcap mounted, a forward grip and now (not pictured) an M2 with a Larue mount. the hump is pretty convenient. Id like to get a TD vertical grip to use with that pressure switch, but Im a little tight on funds now. Mine cost $245 (think it was the shot show special) and came with some panels and the vertical grip. It is also very light. Im quite happy with it.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:10:14 PM EST
The lightest and least bulky is the Daniel Defense 7.0 but since you have a perm attached flash hider Id go with Troy MRF.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:13:29 PM EST

The lightest and least bulky is the Daniel Defense 7.0 but since you have a perm attached flash hider Id go with Troy MRF.

Why would the perm flash hider matter?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:52:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By DevL:

Why do I want the Troy MRF over say the Knight RAS II or something else? Thanks!

Also, some time back somebody posted a chart showing the different railed handguard systems and their features and weights. Anybody have a link to that? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:58:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By AdrianUSP9:

Why would the perm flash hider matter?

The DD, like many other FF RAS systems, requires removal of the FH and FSB. The KAC RAS II and the Troy MRF install without the removal of the FH and FSB.

The Troy MRF is more Eotech friendly than the RAS II FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:04:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2004 6:08:02 PM EST by phideaux]
tacman......i think you'll have to use a 2-piece fore end rail system with your permanent FS mounted,i think that's the point Devl was trying to make.with a 1 piece FF tube,you have to remove front site base from barrel and to take that off,your flash suppresor will have to be removed.

ETA: the YHM 2-piece fore end rail seems to work well on my friend's M4gery,stays really tight with his vertical grip,even with all the trees he falls into
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:08:04 PM EST
M73 from SureFire, ROCK SOLID, and a fraction of the price of the KAC. With your perm FH, free float will be difficult also!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:09:16 PM EST
I'm an Aimpoint man. I don't care for the Eotech. I don't like its lines (bulk), I don't like its controls, and I don't like its reticle. And after reading and hearing some recent Pat Rogers comments, I am not sure it is in the same league of durability as the Aimpoint. But I don't want this to turn into an Aimpoint versus Eotech thread. I just want to point out that there is no risk of me needing an Eotech friendly railed handguard. I already own an Aimpoint and that is what I will continue to use.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:16:44 PM EST
The RAS II is two piece and can be installed easily without the removal of the FSB or Flash Suppressor, correct? Or am I wrong. Also, I am becoming less and less interested in anything that hangs weight on the barrel like the original RAS and the Surefire M73. I just think a free float is probably a stronger and overall better design. But I definitely need one that can be installed without dismantling my FSB and Flash Suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:56:05 PM EST
The SIR slim lines are the narrowest, most easy to to hold because you don't need the put covers over the rails to keep from burning hands on hot and sharp alum.
The SIR #50C bi-level is the easiest of all rails that I have put on, about 4 minutes as rugged and modular as it gets.
Jack
Top Top