Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2006 2:29:33 PM EDT
I would like to ditch my standard CAR forearm for a rail set-up, but don't know what to go for.  I would like a monolithic setup, but can't have anything that overlays the flat-top reciever.
Here is where I could use some help:
What is involved with the instalation of the following as far as any gunsmithing is concerned?  What requires an experienced gunsmith and what can I do myself at home with the tools I have?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=391

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=451

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=100

http://www.troyind.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=47

Thanks!

EDITED:
I am leaning towards the bottom one I listed from Troy Industries.  Any comments on that one in particular?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
i would go with the troy or the samson as there almost identical. ive had a troy 7.0 and i currently have a troy 10.0. i would stay away from the 1pc free float rails, unless you have an action block, barrel nut wrench, and some experience with ar15 gunsmithing. if you do go that route then go with the dd lite rail as its really simple to install for a 1pc free float rail. ive had just about every rail made ecept for the surefire and the midwest ind. and i feel that for a first timer the troy is the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would like to ditch my standard CAR forearm for a rail set-up, but don't know what to go for.  I would like a monolithic setup, but can't have anything that overlays the flat-top reciever.
Here is where I could use some help:
What is involved with the instalation of the following as far as any gunsmithing is concerned?  What requires an experienced gunsmith and what can I do myself at home with the tools I have?

www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=391

www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=451

www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=100

www.troyind.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=47

Thanks!

EDITED:
I am leaning towards the bottom one I listed from Troy Industries.  Any comments on that one in particular?

made them hot for you
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Two words: La Rue.  :)

Chief
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think you would be going wrong with that one at all.  I have a Daniel Defense that is similar to that one on my 9mm.  Good luck with it.  GS
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:

made them hot for you

Thanks man!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The Troy rail your considering is a really nice rail.  Locks up tight and is easy to install.  Two minutes with a dremel tool then is attaches firmly with hex screws.  It will not move on you at all.  Plus the extra length of rail is nice to have if you plan on adding any accessories to it.  I am absolutely pleased with mine in every way.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I vote Surefire all the way.  Easy to install and tighter than heck.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I have pretty much decided on the Troy rail.  I like how it looks, heard its pretty tight, it has a good price, and Troy makes all the bits that are used on the S&W guns anyways (rails for the M&P-T and the pop up sights).  Now here is the big question: Do I order the forearm I want or the EOTech I want first? (can't afford both at the same time hahaha)
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I would get the Eotech first but in the spirit of ARFCOM: Get both!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I would get the Eotech first too
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#12]
do you plan keep the standard front sight? or are you going to get the troy buis?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
do you plan keep the standard front sight? or are you going to get the troy buis?

I plan on keeping the front sight and getting the rail that the site fits through.

I think I am going to get the EOTech first too.  Its a little more useful and my flat top upper looks naked right now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#14]
yeah i would also go with the eotech first.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top