Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2004 10:29:09 AM EDT
My friend is getting YHM 2 piece forearm for his carbine upper. He would like to have some sort of light mounted on it. I know his budget is tight but still wants a decent one. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Surefire G2 mounted in 1" scope rings or the Fobus mount is a pretty good budget rig. I've had mine mounted for thousands of rounds now and almost a year. No shock proof bezel or any other stuff, just the plain jane $30 G2 and it is still running fine. The scope rings cost $10 for Millet; but you can go cheaper.

The other benefit is that the G2 is so cheap, you can afford to buy an entire extra flashlight as a spare (giving you a handheld as well as weaponlight).

Only issue I've dicovered so far is you might want to do a loop of skateboard tape or innertube around the flashlight as the polymer body of the G2 seems to want to slide out no matter how tight the scope rings are. Last time it happened (many months ago) I banged it back in place with a block of wood instead of removing the rings and remounting and it hasn't come loose since.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Surefire G2 with Z32 AntiShock Bezel.  The setup should run you just under $50 from Brightflashlights (here on the AR-15 boards - look in the Industry section or the Lights/Lasers section).

The G2 puts out 65 Lumens, or 120 with the option P61 bulb upgrade.  No other company makes lights that put out a beam as flawless and perfectly focused as Surefire.

To mount you can either use a scop ring (about $5 from a gunshop) or get the TDI quick release mount (about $28); all my lights use the TDI - its more secure and quicker to attach/remove (you can do it one handed unlike the $5 scope ring).
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the Z32 the mount or is it something that goes around the light and inside the mount? Any pics of a G2 with the Z32 setup?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#4]
+1

i think we need a group buy on this exact setup.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
+1

i think we need a group buy on this exact setup.

Well shit... thats a good idea.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The light in question:

G2 with a Z32 bezel and Z49 "clickie" tailcap, mounted with a Fobus FAS2.
Total cost: about $100 from BrightFlashlights.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you guys think about the Streamlight M3 as an AR light?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is the Z32 the mount or is it something that goes around the light and inside the mount? Any pics of a G2 with the Z32 setup?

The Z32 holds the lamp onto the light (it replaces the standard bezel that comes with the light).  It custions the lamp assembly from the blows it takes from the batteries during recoil.  This helps to extend the lamps life.

Picture is above (thanks to M4-Guy).  Note the 'clicky' tailcap adds a bunch and I'll recommend the TDI mount as being FAR superior to the Fobus FAS mount  (I've had & used both - all my rifles now have TDIs.  TDI is the ONLY mount to use if you have an aluminum bodied light).
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What do you guys think about the Streamlight M3 as an AR light?

Honestly?

I think it is lacking for a carbine.

You need to focus the beam manually; and I've them, when properly focused with a nice 'hot spot' (like the Surefire), blow the bezel off during recoil.  Talk about spontaneous disassembly.

If you already have one - they will work well enough indoors till you can save for a decent rifle light.  The M3s are decent handgun lights, but the focus needed for a bit of range (say to 50y) limit its usefullness for a carbine.

But if you don't have one save yourself the cash and buy the G2 setup; or for about the same cash contact BrightFlashlights and you can get a Surefire 650 (a REAL weaponlight).

If you like that design (nice compact, that can be used on rifle and handgun) then spend a bit more and get the Surefire X200.  Its a 65 lumen LED light (never worry about burning out bulbs).
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Where is a good place to get one of these TDI mounts?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Where is a good place to get one of these TDI mounts?

I beleive I mentioned Brightflashlights over in the Industry section....
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#13]
tagged

I like it
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The light in question:

www.hunt101.com/img/159622.JPG

G2 with a Z32 bezel and Z49 "clickie" tailcap, mounted with a Fobus FAS2.
Total cost: about $100 from BrightFlashlights.

M4-guy, who makes that angled rail adapter that the fobus is attached to?

thanks

Joe
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I found this post under Brightflashlight's section: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=142&t=142231 but I don't see anything about TDI mounts in there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I use a Pelican M6 light. I've shot around 4000 with it on and never had a bulb blow out or anything. I'm happy with it. Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Just to start a little controversy, I'm going to suggest that the Z32 Bezel is unnecessary. I haven't seen any reports of anyone blowing out a G2 lamp yet; and I know my own G2 lamp has seen thousands of rounds now with no ill effects.

I'd also note that for the price of the Z32 bezel, you could almost have another G2 flashlight with batteries - this would give you a handheld flashlight as well as a spare (spare lamp, switch, body and batteries) should the weaponlight fail for any reason.

I had originally mounted my G2 as a stopgap to a dedicated weapon light; but I am more and more convinced that the G2 can handle all of my needs as is.

Forest:

On that TDI mount, a lot of times with the location of the flashlight, I end up resting the rifle on the flashlight and mount during shooting. My Millet wrings are pretty scratched up. I'm assuming the same thing happens with the TDI. Can it hold up to that (especially shooting over barriers, etc.)?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
M4-guy, who makes that angled rail adapter that the fobus is attached to?

It actually came with the rails system, a GG&G Modular Forearm.  The GG&G "offset" rail only works with their forearm.  If you already have a rail system, you can use the offset rails made by YHM.  They have 3 or 4 different lengths.  BrightFlashlights also sells these, I believe.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I found this post under Brightflashlight's section: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=142&t=142231 but I don't see anything about TDI mounts in there.

Just ask him.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just to start a little controversy, I'm going to suggest that the Z32 Bezel is unnecessary. I haven't seen any reports of anyone blowing out a G2 lamp yet;

Well I know one person (me).

I'd also note that for the price of the Z32 bezel, you could almost have another G2 flashlight with batteries -

Pray tell where you are find G2s for $19 (that's the cost of a Z32)?

On that TDI mount, a lot of times with the location of the flashlight, I end up resting the rifle on the flashlight and mount during shooting. My Millet wrings are pretty scratched up. I'm assuming the same thing happens with the TDI. Can it hold up to that (especially shooting over barriers, etc.)?

I don't see the TDI having any problem with that.  Its a polymere mount so I suspect it would get scratched as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I was not dissapointed with my M6 streamlight for the $$$$ the laser kept it's Zero and they have went down a little through the years ... I hope to get a surefire someday there are just so many to choose from ; I need to research when I get ready to buy because they are to expensive for me to guess at application !.      
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm using an Electrolumens LED flashlight . Has a 3W Luxeon LED and puts out 72 lumens. The best thing about using LED flashlights is not worrying about blowing out incan bulbs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm using an Electrolumens LED flashlight . Has a 3W Luxeon LED and puts out 72 lumens. The best thing about using LED flashlights is not worrying about blowing out incan bulbs.

Sounds Interesting!  Pray tell do these have buttons on the end?  Waterproof?  Where do you get them and what do they cost?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Go to BrightFlashlights, tell him how much you can spend and he will concoct the best you can get for whatever price you have in mind.  This is what I did and pieced me together a sweet 9V Surefire with a serrated bezel and a 125 and 225 lamps.

His customer service is outstanding.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:06:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Well I know one person (me).

Anything unusual or lamp just stopped working? I know at least some of our members are using G2s in Iraq right now with good success.

Pray tell where you are find G2s for $19 (that's the cost of a Z32)?

I said "almost"; but another $9 gets you a whole new G2.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Z32 holds the lamp onto the light (it replaces the standard bezel that comes with the light).  It custions the lamp assembly from the blows it takes from the batteries during recoil.  This helps to extend the lamps life.

Picture is above (thanks to M4-Guy).  Note the 'clicky' tailcap adds a bunch and I'll recommend the TDI mount as being FAR superior to the Fobus FAS mount  (I've had & used both - all my rifles now have TDIs.  TDI is the ONLY mount to use if you have an aluminum bodied light).

I wanted to look up more information about the Z32 on surefire's website but couldn't find it.  Anyone know where to look on their site.  The search for z32 didn't come up with anything.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone ever try this set up?

Is there a practical way to mount this on a foreend?

Thanks

Joe
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#29]
BR;
Nothing unusual - just alot of shooting with the light on.  Including some drills where the carbine and mu 9mm handgun were used together (techniques that allow you to use the cabines light when you need to transition to handgun).  Could have been a fluke - could have been all the firing we did that night with the light on.  Who knows?  I consider it cheap insurance (like replacing my black followers with green ones in the USGI 30s).

Vector Joe;
You won't find anything on the Z32 on Surefire's website.  It's considered a replacement part not an 'accessory'.  All the classic weapon lights use the Z32 (and the dedicated weapons lights also have the retention ring - but you can't add that to a G2).
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Save up and get an MU light, I love my M961 and am glad I got it. Of course you cant go wrong with ANY surefire but that is my pic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Is this the tdi mount you are talking about?

www.tdi-arms.com/_Articles/Article.asp?CategoryID=55&ArticleID=14

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm leaning toward getting a TDI mount with G2 but still not for sure about the Z32 bezel. Not that I'm cheap but the Z32 bezel appears to be aluminum instead of polymer like the regular bezel on the G2. The rest of the light and mount are polymer while the bezel is aluminum and I like the looks of all polymer better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#33]
The Z32 is good insurance for keeping your bulbs from breaking when firing the weapon. Some people have put these lights on and shot the rifles numerous time with no problems without the Z32 but I would not chance it. It would be cheaper in the long run also.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You won't find anything on the Z32 on Surefire's website.  It's considered a replacement part not an 'accessory'.  All the classic weapon lights use the Z32 (and the dedicated weapons lights also have the retention ring - but you can't add that to a G2).

Forest, the M2 bezel works on the G2 also.  That is what I have on mine.  I believe the M2 is the standard bezel for their M95 and M96 series lights.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#35]
My last AR had a plain 'ol G2 and a fobus mount on it.  i shot about 8-900 rounds through it before I sold it.  Never had any issues with it.  Had I known about the replacement bezel at the time, I'd have gotten one, but it dosent seem absolutely necessary to me.

oh, and BTW, group buy on surfire g2's and the TDI mounts?..........I'm in.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Here is my M961 mounted to a YHM 2 piece rail. I only payed $150.00 for the light. If you look around you can find some good deals on them.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:43:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

That is them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
...and I like the looks of all polymer better.

Function over form my friend, function over form.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

iceknightconsulting.com/tdi3colors.jpg

That is them.

Wish I had been paying a little closer attention a couple of weeks ago when I ordered from BF.  I would have gotten the TDI instead of the FS2 with my order.  Oh well ...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#40]
I agree with the Surefire G2 in one inch rings. You can't beat the price or durability. I used two steel redfield rings on mine. Stay away from plastic like the First SAMCO one. They are not as good at taking impact as steel. Mine flew off my 12ga. everytime i fired it. This may inflame some chairborne rangers out there. Good Luck.hug.gif  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Go with the surefire 900 series.  You can't go wrong!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#42]
How about a Surefire 6P? It's not that much more than a G2 plus it gives you the option of using a different bulb if you want more light output.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Can you not use a stronger bulb in the G2 also?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Bulbs and bezels and even tailcaps are interchangeable between the G2 and 6P.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#45]
The G2 is the exact same light internaly as the 6P, just incased in plastic...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I use a Pelican M6 light. I've shot around 4000 with it on and never had a bulb blow out or anything. I'm happy with it. Just my 2 cents

+1

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#47]
I emailed surefire about tailcap switches for the G2 and this was their reply:

Dear Sir,

The Z48 will not fit. However, our new Z58 will fit. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to write back or call us at 1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service and welcome future inquiries or comments.

SureFire Technical Support

Wonder what is different about the Z58?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The G2 is the exact same light internaly as the 6P, just incased in plastic...

That and the 6Ps now have the lock out tailcap and anti-roll bezel (older 6Ps had neither of these features).

I've used the P61 in my G2 for testing, though it usually rests in my 650-2.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I emailed surefire about tailcap switches for the G2 and this was their reply:

Dear Sir,
               The Z48 will not fit. However, our new Z58 will fit. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to write back or call us at 1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service and welcome future inquiries or comments.
SureFire Technical Support

Wonder what is different about the Z58?

I think the CS rep may be confused.  Unless SF has made some recent changes, the Z48 (hard-anodized) & Z49 (black) tailcaps will fit on a G2.  I'm not sure what a Z58 is, but a Z57 is the smaller clickie tailcap for the Executive series handhelds.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top