Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 4:20:00 PM EDT
I live in a bad state, NY. oops I meant ban state.

I have one preban large hole colt, but I want more.  As a greedy American it's my right.

So I'm looking to build another rifle with preban features.

I'm trying to find a lower that is forged and of good quality.  The two that I feel comfortable with are obviously colt and bushmaster.  I've seen some off brands that looked cheesy.  I know form follows function.

Other than those two brands of PREBAN lowers, are there any others you'd be comfortable with?

Which ones would you avoid like the plague?

I'm thinking anything plastic is bad, sorry cav arms fans.  
Also anything cast (i'm not sure which ones those are either though)

Well I look forward to your thoughts.

SoS
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
SGW (Olympic)

PWA

Eagle
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Eagle Arms
PWA

I would avoid Bohica and RGM
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
My olympic lower is nice and fits great with bushmaster, rock river arms, and armalite uppers. It was practically new due to the BOR carbine remakes. They are legal prebans even thought they are new because the old lowers were destroyed and the new ones stamped with the serial num. Grab one if you can they are worth the money. I am also looking to sell mine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Very happy with my Armailte/Eagle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd say any Pre-Ban that fits your wallet since you don't have always have many options.  My Dad has an Essential Arms (DPMS bought E.A. before the ban, and preban cast DPMS lowers are virtually identical to the E.A. lowers) lower, it's pretty good too.  It's a cast, so the FCG pin holes will enlarge more quickly than a forged lower, but some oversize pins or KNS anti-rotation pins would help w/ that.  Oly lowers are a good investment simply b/c of the previously mentioned exchange program they have.  

Of course any of the bigger names like Colt (if you're willing to deal w/ various combos of different pin sizes and sear blocks), Bushy, Armalite, etc.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever the deals are. I have tried to stick to Colt and Bushy but the EA lowers are good investments if the price is right,

Beggars can't be choosers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Genuine PWA pre-ban lowers are very nice.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#9]
bushmaster
but i did have a essential arms lower during the ban and it was good for the money, much cheaper than any other pre-ban on the market that i found.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Anything forged.  

I have an Oly lower laying around but it is way out of spec.   Cant even get an upper on it.
I'll deal with it when the time comes, but I'd trust it to hold up to some kind of accident (drop, etc.)

- BG
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Talk to olympic arms. I talked with them about a preban lower I got before I got it and they seemed more than willing to help. Tell them it is way out of spec and nothing will fit on it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:55:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice!

SoS
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
SGW (Olympic)

PWA

Why do you say these brands should be avoided? I have one of each (an Oly Arms and PWA) and they both work perfectly. I know about the whole cast vs. forged thing but you didn't mention anything about that. As a matter of fact, you gave no reasons whatsoever why these 2 brands should be avoided.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I love my SGW oly lower.

[love]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top