Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/2/2003 7:59:07 PM EDT

I need something that I can carry all the time off duty. Either in a pocket or on the belt in a holster. Needs to be tough and fairly small.

What do you suggest?

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:55:38 PM EDT
For money, can't beat Sure-Fire G2-N.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:03:53 PM EDT
If I had to get rid of all my Surefires, and keep only one, it would be the M2. The M2 has a larger bezel than many others, but it contains many features other lights do not. It is about the strongest most durable light of its kind. Advantages it has over other lights in its class include Shock isolated bezel for increaded durability and bulb protection Waterproof/Submersible Combat grip Pocket Clip High and Low Output bulbs Lockout Tail Cap Durable hard anaodized finish Pyrex lens Many other lights have some of these features, but to my knowledge, only the M2 has all of them. It is, IMHO, the hands down king of all 2 cell lights.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:14:07 PM EDT
My EDC off duty light is the E2EHA carried horizontal weakside in On Scene Tactical Scabbard. I leave the clip on so I can attach the lanyard for missions. I also have a red filter on it for utility purposes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:31:26 PM EDT
I carry an older Surefire 6P a lot in a Mitch Rosen LS holster. It's great for most situations. The holster is great too, though very expensive and keeps the flashlight so tight to the body that after a while my side hurts sometimes because of the flashlight against my side, but that's the way it goes. I think someone makes a holster that holds the light horizontal on the belt also, and that may be an everyday carry option too. The newer Surefires with the clips for a pocket seem like a decent way to carry.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:53:48 AM EDT
I suggest the SureFire L4. It's a 5W Luxeon LED that outputs the same Lumens as the E2e and has a 60 minute regulated (constant output) runtime. Very impressive. It comes SureFire's new Click Switch - the Z57 but an pressure switch can also be used (the Z52). BTW, There is no such model as the the G2-N G2-BK (Black) G2-OD (Olive Drab) G2-YL (Yellow) I assume that the N in this case means Nitrolon (polymer) rather than waterproof depth certified. Al
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:24:03 AM EDT
If I had to pick one it would be the E2. Performance equals my 6P, but it is MUCH smaller. Can't comment on the G2, but I think I'll get one soon. IMHO do not buy an 8NX.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:29:17 AM EDT
15s, I know I'm half an idiot, but I can't find the L4 on surefire's sight. Little help?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:31:59 AM EDT
The L4 is very new - perhaps only a few months. It has not been added to the SureFire.com website because demand from dealers is still too high to maintain selling stock for website sales. When such a time comes, SureFire will send the new product email. You can find online dealers with the L4 already listed by searching for "SureFire L4" on google. Sean writes a pretty good review with some great photos: http://members.aol.com/qn9513/myhomepage/flashlightl4.html If you would like to see photos of the L4 next to any specific SureFires, I can take photos, please email me size15s@ntlworld.com Al
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:52:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2003 8:25:48 AM EDT by BrightFlashlights]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:11:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By new-arguy: If I had to get rid of all my Surefires, and keep only one, it would be the M2. The M2 has a larger bezel than many others, but it contains many features other lights do not. It is about the strongest most durable light of its kind. Advantages it has over other lights in its class include Shock isolated bezel for increaded durability and bulb protection Waterproof/Submersible Combat grip Pocket Clip High and Low Output bulbs Lockout Tail Cap Durable hard anaodized finish Pyrex lens Many other lights have some of these features, but to my knowledge, only the M2 has all of them. It is, IMHO, the hands down king of all 2 cell lights.
View Quote
I agree. I carry the M2 and it's a great little light. As far as handhelds go, the Surefire Millennium series is far ahead of anything else out there. It will never let you down.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:12:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter: If I had to pick one it would be the E2. Performance equals my 6P, but it is MUCH smaller. Can't comment on the G2, but I think I'll get one soon. IMHO do not buy an 8NX.
View Quote
carry my E2E 24/7....have a Z2 that i can carry in a holster or mag/light pouch but for everyday pocket carry the E2es size and pocket clip can't be beat.... G2 is nice (and cheap!) but i only use mine around the house (no clip, no lockout tailcap=no pocket carry...). what's wrong with the 8NX? i'm (was?) considering one....
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:01:51 PM EDT
SureFire have plans to release the KL7 5W Luxeon Bezel for the 8AX/8NX Due to the heat that it produces, the Nitrolon 8NX may not be the best choice investment. I like my 8NX - it tough, bright, light-weight and the KT5 TurboHead produces a surprisingly good beam. Al
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:38:57 PM EDT
E1 Executive. I have carried one every day since they first came out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:23:07 AM EDT
The E series asome are suggesting and the L4 Al recommends are excelent general purpose lights. If you need some light, it is there. They are smaller and in the case of the L4, give MUCH more battery life than something like the M2 I favor. However, if this light is to be a companion to your sidearm, and not just an illumination tool, I think most could agree that the L4 and E series are weak, weak, weak when it comes to light output and giving the power and punch of something like the P61 bulb. The link Al gave above shows pictures that will illustrate this. So the answer, as always, lies in not which light is the best, but which light is best for your needs. For a unit that will be there to give some light when you need it, yup, I agree, the M2 is probably overkill and an E series or L4 will be a much better choice. But if your light is to be part of an overall self defense package, I have not seen anything that comes close to matching the modularity of the feature rich M2. FWIW, I subscribe to the 2 is 1, 1 is none theory. I keep my M2 all the time, but use it infrequently. I keep an A2 in my rear pocket as my general use light. It gets used when I need a little light to preserve the batteries and bulbs in my M2 for when I may really need it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:48:09 AM EDT
MP906: For every-day, inconspicuous carry, the E2e cannot be beat, except maybe by the A2 or L2, depending on your preference and budget. BTW: The G2 does not have a lock-out tailcap. The G2z does. I think the LOTC is a must-have. I second NewARGuy: Add a bigger light for duty use. Maybe think of the E2 as the snubby .38 you always have with you, and the M2/M3 as the gun you strap on when you go out. Myself, I carry the E1/Kl1 LED every day, I take the A2 out at night, and I pack the M3 when I need a real light. :) I don't put much stock in lights as anything other than illumination tools and improvise impact weapons. I've had 60-250 Lu lights used against me in training, and there is no temporary blindness or incapacitation. For that, you need a flashbang.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:36:33 PM EDT
L2? I believe blikboc means the L4. L2? Not released... Al
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:11:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Size15s: L2? I believe blikboc means the L4. L2? Not released... Al
View Quote
No, he meant the L4. The L1 and L2 I believe are the replacement LED lamp heads. I know I got the e1 and separately purchased the (either L1 or L2, I can't remember) LED head to replace the standard lamp it came with.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2003 5:23:53 PM EDT by Size15s]
The L Series are complete models - two of the L Series have been released so far (L1 & L4): The L1 is a SureFire with a 1W Luxeon LED flashlight powered by one SF123A battery - it has a two-stage pressure switch TailCap that gives you either low output or normal output. [img]http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/l1ha_full.jpg[/img] The not released, L2 is likely to be a SureFire with a 5W Luxeon LED flashlight powered by two SF123A batteries - it is likely to have a two-stage pressure switch TailCap that gives you either low output or normal output. The L4 is the KL4 5W Luxeon Bezel on the E2e body with the Z57 Clickie TailCap. [img]http://members.aol.com/qn9513/myhomepage/l4side5.jpg[/img] _______ THe KLx are replacement LED Bezels for existing SureFire bodies (Four have been released so far): The KL1 is the 1W Luxeon Bezel for the E1e or E2e [img]http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/kl1ha_full01.jpg[/img] The KL2 is the 19 LED Bezel for the M3. [img]http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/kl2ha_full01.jpg[/img] The KL3 is the 1W Luxeon Bezel for the C2 or C3 (etc) models. [img]http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/kl3ha_full01.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/p2b8415795111aecdc36686b44729ad6b/fbc119c6.jpg[/img] Top to bottom: KL7 on the 8AX KL6 on the M3 KL5 on the M2/C2 KL4 on the E2e The KL4 is the 5W Luxeon Bezel for the E2e. The KL5 will be the 5W Luxeon Bezel for the C2 or C3 (etc) models. The KL6 will be the 5W Luxeon Bezel for the M3. The KL7 will be the 5W Luxeon Bezel for the 8AX. The KL5, KL6 & KL7 have not yet been released. No release dates have been given by SureFire although I believe they intend to release them by the end of the year. I hope this helps? Al
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:35:59 AM EDT
I carry an old Surefire 6P with a 3 cell conversion and a 200 lumen lamp assembly, it sits in a Surefire V70 speed holster that I cut the bottom out so the light fits into it and not sticking out of it. Before I cut out the bottom the light would constantly jab me in my side, and it didn't feel very secure. I have a red filter on my 6P so I can use it in a dark room and not totally lose my nightvision. Previously I was trying a G2 in the V70 and it worked out great, but I ended up placing the G2 onto my AR (it has a blue filter to contrast with its red dot scope and red laser). When I show Surefire lights at work and pull out my 200 lumen baby to demonstrate relative brightness customers get a little awed by the difference between 65 and 200 lumens,lol. But when they hear how much the conversion would run and how long batts last the go with a normal lumen product like a G2. The M2 also looks like a good item too, I like alot of its features, we don't carry any in the shop so I have had my hands on one lately. But I will have to get an A2 Aviator just for the coolness factor, I fly alot of computer flight simulations and the Aviator appeals to me greatly, probally will go with the red LEDs. Fritze Out
Top Top