User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 4:31:11 AM EDT
Fobus, Samco, others???
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The only ones I've used are the $6 USGI ones from the gun shows.  I have two--one with 30s and one with 20s.  

The one with the 20s works OK, except that the top rounds in the spare mag tend to work forward under recoil so you have to kinda "roll" the mag into the gun to get them to go in.  I suspect that any type of coupler will have this problem.

The one with the 30s doesn't work well at all.  Mags jam up and won't feed right and they slip in the coupler.  Unlike the other one the sides of the coupler don't stay parallel to the sides of the mags.  I haven't tried swapping couplers so I don't know if the problem is that the mags are 30s, or if it's just that particular coupler.

The Mag-Cinchs look nice, but $20 is too much IMHO for them.

You might also ask this question in the Magazines forum, or look and see if it's been discussed there before.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Looked into a Johnson RediMag?

Will hold a spare magazine ready until the magazine release button is pushed, when pushed the empty will fall to the ground and the spare magazine into your hand.    The RediMag will hold 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 round magazines with no problem.   Also gives you the ability to use standard 3 mag pouches without running into fits due to having magazines banded together.

Down sides include having to bolt the thing to your rifle though it's not permanent, it's just not a very quick install or uninstall.     The spare magazines held in the RediMag can be a little loud from having a sort of "slap" sound made between the looser tolerances of the redimag and the magazine(compared to the tighter magazine well holding the mag).    And some people don't like the way a spare magazine might throw off the balance of the rifle, though it's not all that different if you're banding magazines to one another.   Last, some don't like how it makes it a little bit harder to get to the bolt release.

To get a gander take a look at the following link for the one I keep on my 14.5in. bushy.    I have enough of these to mount to all 3 of my AR15s if I see the need to do it, as it stands now I only have one rifle that keeps one mounted to it at all times.
[url]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/14.5in/bushmastershorty.html[/url]

If you get a RediMag, get the A1 model as it has a button added to it to make it much easier to manually lock the bolt open.

The things aren't terribly cheap though, usually about 45-55 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
100MPH TAPE!!!!!!

I dont use them!

But I do have a Mag strap made of Velcro that works good!

With the Gear I use the Double Mags wont work!

I see now that Mag Cinch Makes Pouches to hold Double Mags wich If I felt like I had to that would be the way I would go!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 Mag-Cinchs holding 2 30 rounders each they work perfect the mags stay where you put them they don't slide up or down and have not came loose yet. And the recoil from shooting dose work the top round out of the mag
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll second that on the Mag Cinches.
I have a couple and I've never had any problems with them shifting while I've been firing.  
The only thing is, when you have two 30 rounders strapped together, it makes your rifle a little heavier.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Boonypacker/Johnson RediMag, as its the only solution that protects the ammo/feed lips of the mag from damage and (more importantly) from the entry of everyday detritus that can play havoc with reliability.

Also, to me, taped together mags smack of the third-World [;)]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I have mag cinch on two poly mags (the 30 round plastic style) that works great.  You cant use most gear with a coupled mag, so in a bind you may have to loose 2 mags.  

Makes your rifle heavy, as said, and a little more bulky, but after trying rapid mag changes with a Blackhawk vest and then just the dual mags, you can imagine the dual mag is much faster.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:20:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Plain old Israeli surplus spring steel dual holders from Gun Parts Corp at $5 each.

No screws to come lose, no straps to wear, no plastic to break.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Duck it or fuck it. More like, if your a poor POS and can't afford a mag cinch like myself, duck it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top