Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 10:29:50 AM EDT
I bought an M16A1 upper assembly with handguards, buttstock and pistol grip back in 2004 from Buffer Technologies (pencil barrel is marked "C MP CHROME BORE").  

I'm just getting around to building a retro-look semi-auto rifle, but which new production stripped lower (Ameetec, MEGA, Stag, etc.) comes closest to Colt gray in color?  From the photos I've seen, all appear to be black in varying degrees.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Essential Arms was the only one I can think of who did the grey at all.
Never had one and they used to be cast, but were supposed to go forged.
Don't know if they got production up or not.
Although alot of poeple thought they were ok.
Time to talk to Stickman about refinishing it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
the e.a. lowers are available but do not match that well. i had one with a colt upper and it didnt..

i did just refinish a set of recievers in norell's moly resin colt gray and it turned out great

stickman's refinishing thread
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow!  Outstanding work, eklikwhoa!

Thanks to both of you for the info on Essential Arms and Stickman's thread

As it so happens, I have done some minor refinishing work on M1 carbine mags, buttplates, etc. using Norrells Moly.  From the description of the different colors, I think the "grayish-black flat" is the ticket.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
grayish-black flat is what i used.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wow!  Outstanding work, eklikwhoa!

Thanks to both of you for the info on Essential Arms and Stickman's thread

As it so happens, I have done some minor refinishing work on M1 carbine mags, buttplates, etc. using Norrells Moly.  From the description of the different colors, I think the "grayish-black flat" is the ticket.

Yes. It works great. I did an modern black A2 type lower for my M16 kit. It looked so close I didn't even refinish the upper. Just the lower, charging handle, and the rear sight parts for another upper. There may be a little color difference but it's no more than you would find on a factory fresh rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top