Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2008 5:18:50 PM EDT
To mount a 4.5x14=50 Leupold on a SASS to get the scope far enough forward to give the correct eye relief?

Thank's in advance!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Being a Leupy, it should have very generous and forgiving eye relief.

With a 50mm objective height will be the real issue.

My guess would be "tall" rings.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I use extra tall rings on my 223's and my Grendel AR's and it work's just fine but for some reason I cant get the scope far enough forward on the SASS.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Leupold Super High Rings are what I currently have on my SR but I just ordered a KAC single piece mount to replace the rings. The Super High rings work well regarding ergonomics and should give you plenty of movement options across the top of the receiver. These rings will also give you plenty of clearance for the 50mm objective.

The difference between the High and Super High rings may seem minimal but it will make a difference. Unless you are a small framed/petite person with a small face structure the Tall rings might be a bit tough to work with on cheek weld and eye/height alignment.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Most people want their optics centerline to be around the same height as the iron sight centerline, which is 1.4" above the rail.  This allows you to use the same shoulder mount and cheek weld with both systems.  Some ring heights, like Leupold, are spec'ed to the centerline, while others, like Burris, are spec'ed to the bottom of the ring, and you need to add 0.5" (1" tube) or 0.59" (30mm tube).

To get that much height, you'll need either a one-piece mount designed for ARs (with the plus of additional forward offset for eye relief on many of them), or ultra-high/super-high rings.

Here's the Big List of one-piece mounts, with some info on risers and rings at the bottom of the page:
Big List of AR15 One-Piece Mounts
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top