Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2012 6:40:24 PM EDT
Hello all. I recently aquired two Colt 6920's, but one is the current LE 6920 with M-4 carbine roll mark and LE prefix. The other model is the SP 6920 with the Sporter roll mark. Both carbines are still in the bag and would like to know, which one would you keep as a safe queen and the one to shoot?  Just curious. Thanks in advance guys.

Pete
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep the m4 nib if you want one queen
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello all. I recently aquired two Colt 6920's, but one is the current LE 6920 with M-4 carbine roll mark and LE prefix. The other model is the SP 6920 with the Sporter roll mark. Both carbines are still in the bag and would like to know, which one would you keep as a safe queen and the one to shoot?  Just curious. Thanks in advance guys.

Pete

Neither safe queens;  both to shoot.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Keep the m4 nib if you want one queen

Really?  I heard that the sporter marked 6920 was manufactured briefly while the M-4 is the more prolific model. Interesting.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, personally I believe that Colt has stoped the "Sporter" Roll Marking. So, that means that there will be fewer Sporter marked 6920s.  Collectability?  Who knows? Colt fans did not really care for the "Sporter" Roll Mark.  I guess it sounded too safe?  I personally have a Sporter 6920.  It's by far the best Colt fit and finish wise that I've ever had. I'm not going to consider it a collectable though. However, If I had to choose which one of the two you mentioned has a better chance of eventually having some collector interest, it would be the Sporter.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Deffinitely keep the one with LEO/Military Only roll mark.  The two that you have seems to tbe the most current models.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Deffinitely keep the one with LEO/Military Only roll mark.  The two that you have seems to tbe the most current models.

Sorry to say, it's not the LEO/Restricted marked model. It's the current M-4 Carbine model and SP Sporter model.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I've also got both "Sporter M4 Carbine" and "M4 Carbine" marked 6920 same as you but both mine are shooters, I'm a very long time Colt guy for 41 years now and I shoot all my Colt, sell them when worn to buy new Colt models.

It seems the Sporter had a lower quantity made, mine is an early production and comparing that with the newest one I had seen there might only be 20+K made while my M4 Carbine is also an early production, compared to the latest ones now seems they made about 70+K already.

I thought the factory had stopped making the Sporter version late last year but there was a member that just got a new one made early this year, maybe they're making limited runs depending which distributors orders them with enough minimum quantities.

If I have to keep one NIB myself for collection I would pick the Sporter because they made less of them.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got them both (and an LE Carbine/Restricted model). I shoot the M4 just because I like it more. The sporter is still unfired.

I'm not sure that the sporters will be more popular. They were an interim step, and most people would rather have the LE Carbine/Restricted or the M4 without the sporter roll mark. I know their are more M4's than sporter M4's but I still think they'll hold their value better.

Just keep in mind that the times are changing, and you never know what the value will be a year from now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 2:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]
The piston driven model or the one that switches caliber from 556 to 308...
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Colt sporters have been around for decades.  Perhaps 6920 sporters or rather SP6920's have not been around as long.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've also got both "Sporter M4 Carbine" and "M4 Carbine" marked 6920 same as you but both mine are shooters, I'm a very long time Colt guy for 41 years now and I shoot all my Colt, sell them when worn to buy new Colt models.

It seems the Sporter had a lower quantity made, mine is an early production and comparing that with the newest one I had seen there might only be 20+K made while my M4 Carbine is also an early production, compared to the latest ones now seems they made about 70+K already.

I thought the factory had stopped making the Sporter version late last year but there was a member that just got a new one made early this year, maybe they're making limited runs depending which distributors orders them with enough minimum quantities.

If I have to keep one NIB myself for collection I would pick the Sporter because they made less of them.

Thank you for the input.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#12]
This one, and it's NIB.

ETA: Just re-read your post and of the 2 you have I would say the LE marked one would be. Out of all the 6920's ever produced so far the FDE or the OD green will be at the top of the list, imo of course.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#13]
The Sporter marked 6920's were only made for a brief time.  When Colt was doing away with the restricted markings, they brought back the Sporter name and used it on the 6920.  But they dropped it fairly quickly, most likely because Sporter is banned by name in some places.  It's probably going to turn out to be the rollmark with the shortest production run.  Whether or not that translates to increased value down the road, who knows?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I'm going to keep the sporter boxed up for know with this info I'm receiving.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top