Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 10:53:15 AM EDT
i am going to build a 16" ar with a stainless barrel. i want a balance of reliability and accuracy. from reading the board it seems the J&t kits have the best quality. i just wanted to see if there was a kit that had a better barrel than the others.

thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Model 1 16" light weight blued barrel, and it is excellent in both accuracy and functionality.  I don't know if they have the stainless barrel in this size, but if they do I'd suggest going with them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Other than Bushmaster or DPMS, any "kit" with a stainless steel barrel, is either going to have a Wilson or a Shaw barrel. They're basically the same, but Rock River uses the Wilson for their Varmint rifles. So you decide.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a reason that kits don't come with chrome-lined barrels?  One exception I can think of is the J&T M4 kit, where you can add a chrome-lined barrel for an extra 50 bucks.  Why don't these companies offer chrome-lined 20" kits?  
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]
so there is no big difference between shaw and wilson?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there a reason that kits don't come with chrome-lined barrels?  One exception I can think of is the J&T M4 kit, where you can add a chrome-lined barrel for an extra 50 bucks.  Why don't these companies offer chrome-lined 20" kits?  
View Quote

bumpin it, I really wanna know an answer [:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#6]
There have been many posts on chrome vs. chromoly.  There doesn't seem to be much of an  advantage to a chrome lined barrel for civilian semi-auto shooting.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

bumpin it, I really wanna know an answer [:D]
View Quote

Production costs. Even a "big" company like DPMS doesn't offer chrome-lined barrels. DPMS has been doing special chrome-lined production runs for CMMG, and I got one, but they probably had to go to a different supplier for the "blanks".
There have been some references that J&T D will soon be offering a chrome-lined option for their 20" barrels.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#8]
i'm more interested in the quality of the stainless barrels. does anyone offer a krieger barrelled upper other than fulton with out going to a full custom upper?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about the Krieger, but you can check with [url]MSTN.biz[/url] for Compass Lake or Douglas barrels
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#10]
i have talked with mstn about building a custom upper. just wanted to see if there are any alternatives before spending the bucks. thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#11]
You can chck with Randall at [url]ar15barrels.com[/url], I don't know his supplier(s), but he is an arfcom regular.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#12]
nice site.

thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

J&T will be offering a chrome-lined 20" barrel in the near future.  Keep checking their Industry board for availability.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#14]
You can't get a better stainless barrel than from Olympic Arms.  They have them in the "heavy" profile, as well as bull.  They are black oxided, and look just like a standard barrel.  They come in 1x9 twist.  I can highly recommend them.  I have never had either feeding or extraction problems with my Oly stainless barrels.

[url]http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html[/url]

BTW, Olympic Arms makes their own barrels, and supplies them to other companies.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Check out these guys.  It looks like they make some nice uppers.

[url]http://metalcraft-ar15.com/[/url]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#16]
sweet. thanks for the links. there must be tons of sites i haven't found yet. i appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You can't get a better stainless barrel than from Olympic Arms.  They have them in the "heavy" profile, as well as bull.  They are black oxided, and look just like a standard barrel.  They come in 1x9 twist.  I can highly recommend them.  I have never had either feeding or extraction problems with my Oly stainless barrels.

[url]http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html[/url]

BTW, Olympic Arms makes their own barrels, and supplies them to other companies.

View Quote

DOH!! good one!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]
My brother bought an ASA 24" varmint upper with a LOTHAR WALTHER stainless heavy barrel. I know a lot of folks here like other vendors more than ASA but I've seen and shot this one and it's sweet! He put a Springfield Armory scope on it and I can attest to the barrel's accuracy! I'm working OT and saving my pennies for one myself! I posted a similar question a little while back about the best value in a SS varmint barrel though not in a kit. Olympic's Ultra Match barrels were the most favored. The Lothar Walther barrels can be seen by downloading the PDF version of ASA's catalog, Oly USM barrels have broached rifling and like all their barrels are made in house. Just my two cents in case you were interested in alternatives to Wilson,Shaw,etc.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#19]
As far as the barrel goes this will be on my next rifle, looks very sweet.   http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl24fvar9a.asp [:D]  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top