Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2007 3:07:14 PM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up an extra bolt or two in case one of mine break. I'm wondering if I should just buy an extra complete bolt & carrier group.

Is the carrier as likely to break as the bolt?

thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I think if you break a bolt you'll need to replace more than just the bolt...
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
So if a bolt cracks I'd need to replace the carrier too?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I expected someone to chime in.

Chances are you'll shoot the chamber out of the barrel before you start cracking a bolt.

or

Your pressures are way too high and your about to blow up your gun.

I have never had a cracked bolt.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy the Bolts first if you are on a budget.

why......Because this CAN happen.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You will wear out an upper receiver before you wear out a bolt carrier and key.  The carrier would likely be the last part to wear out on the rifle and will likely last longer than you will.  That's all assuming you don't have a KB that splits the bottom part of the carrier.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Back up M4

extra bolt is all that is needed!

I like LMT MP bolts
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The only spare parts you NEED are an extra AR15 or two.  If one goes down (which I doubt it will), the others can keep you entertained while you order repalacement for the broken part.

Don't waste your money otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The concerns I have about needing spare parts is not necessarily for the short run. Rather, I'm starting to think about what might come in handy but be unavailable during the next ban.

I'd like to get this stuff now if it's important and available.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Whoa, sorry about all the extra posts... I think I'll have another beer.

(I'm renewing my membership Friday so I won't need to be impatient anymore.)
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Again, if you're worried about another ban, GET MORE GUNS!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Again, if you're worried about another ban, GET MORE GUNS!!!

I have two carbines now. I'm planning two more builds before the next election. So I shouldn't worry about stocking up on spare parts?

I'm just thinking that these things could become pretty expensive paper weights if something breaks and replacement parts are no longer available.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#13]
A complete bolt and carrier is not a bad idea. I had one at one time. It transformed itself into a new rifle.  

If you can afford it, buy a complete bolt and carrier. Carrier keys do wear out occasionally, so being able to simply swap carriers and save the damaged carrier key removal/replacement for a more opportune time might be beneficial.

And bolts do crack as shown above. Just another reason why I’m so adamant  about doing proper cleaning and inspection.    

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#14]
There are several ways to go on spare parts. Some people just invest in a spare bolt carrier assembly. You can lube it, put it in a Ziplock bag and put it in your range bag. You could also buy a Bushmaster "Emergency Survival Kit" or a complete extra lower parts kit for your weapon. Alternatively, you can go to a parts house, like Brownell's or Midway USA, and buy 3-4 of each important part on your AR. Since all parts do not break at an even rate, you might go through 2-4 examples of the same part while not needing any of another part. I seem to always use up the firing pin retaining pin and gas rings before anything else. Some people even buy an extra upper that would fit several ARs they have just in case. I wouldn't worry too much about parts that won't don't normally break, like trigger guards or flash hiders.

Think about what parts could fail and render your weapon useless. The bolt, the extractor, the firing pin, the cam pin, the firing pin retaining pin, the gas key, the bolt carrier, the gas tube, the buffer, the trigger, the hammer, etc. These are the things you need to have extras for. In Houston, at most, only one or two stores carry replacement AR parts. If the SHTF, I don't want to be at the mercy of any store that might or might not be open and I sure don't want to have to depend on UPS or the USPS to get something to me. A relatively small investment now can pay big dividends later if you really need something.

A couple other things to stock up on are cleaning supplies (particularly CLP and patches), ammo and of course, extra magazines.

Good luck mate.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
My back up kit(s) have grown quite a bit, but a good starter set of spare parts might consist of the following:

1) Complete extra bolt
2) 2X extra extractors
3) 2X firing pins
4) 2X hammer, trigger, extractor, and ejector springs.
5) 2X ejecters
6) Extra cotter key for F pin
7) 1 set of Trigger/Hammer pins

As mentioned above, you might not break any of a part that is one of the mre breakage prone parts and 2 of a part you didnt think would ever break. Myself, I have collected aprox 3X all small parts that make up an AR with the thought that I'll keep putting together rifles with all those parts anyway. If something breaks before those 3 guns are complete, I'll just pick up a spare when I can.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice setup Quib. I wish I were that organized.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quib just needs to add the NSN to his part labels and he will be IAW Mil-Std-130.

That level of detail quib has posted comes in real handy when your looking for parts. I use 50 cal ammo cans for everything. Had to tell what is in what can. 3 out of the 15 cans contain gun parts, rest all different types of ammo.

first i find the right can (1911, ar, or everything else) then I hunt in the can for the parts. Then I go looking in the butstock cleaning kits for maybe some spares.

Great way to spend 20 min. looking for a part on a 30 sec job.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Nice setup Quib.

Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top